Cowon Plenue D problems
Aug 13, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #31 of 74
thanks to vitor for creating this thread.

this is the problem i have with my plenue d:

i have my 2nd plenue d replacement (so it's the third device) and this one also has the inconsistent sleep and stand by behavior: http://www.head-fi.org/t/789488/cowon-plenue-d/3060#post_12716397

five out of ten times works properly: plenue d has it's screen of (for me "auto display off" after 10 secs) because it's in my pocket, then i have to take it out and unplug the phones, playback pauses (apparently) and then it goes to sleep (for me "auto off" after 1 min). that's just how it should work...
but in the other five cases it keeps just it's screen dark and does not go into sleep. and i'm not talking about the sleep timer since this is off on my device:

<< "auto off" setting to 1 min.

<< and then after 1 minute (more close to just 40 seconds) the plenue d goes to sleep like this after i unplugged my phones while a track played and while the screen was dark because of my "auto display off" setting. and this is what i want my plenue d to do (and should according to the settings) but happens scarcely unfortunately.

i also made a threat at the cowon forum: http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=B16&page=1&page_num=20&select_arrange=headnum&desc=&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&keyword=&no=43605&category=51&bmenu=support

they replied:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest on our product.

Sorry for making the inconvenience when using the device.
It seems that there is an intermittent problem with sleep mode.

Your valued feedback has sent to development team and we will try best to resolve the problem.
We will try to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Thank you for understanding in advance.

Have a good day.

is it possible to reply to cowon's response? or do i have to create a "new article"?

i still have to check whether playback pauses in the cases where sleep does not work properly. it is my impression that it actually does not pause the playback and due to this the plenue d is not really inactive and therefore does not go to sleep. i also want to check if this happens depending on the filetype. about 60% of my library is .alac. nonetheless, it seems to be headphone and cable independent. i tested it with: dunu titan 5, atomicfloyd superdarts, koss porta pro, and 2 aux cables. it happens in all of those setups. it is also firmware independent. i use dapper to transfer my itunes library to the plenue d to my 128 gb card (nothing on the internal storage). dapper settings: no invisible files are deleted.

any suggestions what i can test are greatly appreciated. :)

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #32 of 74
There is the bugs reports that I sent to Cowon Facebook page (I have only access to the french SAV of Cowon) :

Hi,

I use a Cowon Penue D since 10 days, with the 1.14 firmware. I met the followings bugs – can you take that in consideration for the next firmware?

-          French manual talk about 12000 file limit on internal storage and 24000 file limit on SD card ; but in fact it was 8000 files + 4000 folders on internal storage and 16000 files + 8000 folders on SD card ; it should be explicitly written on the manual

-          The Cowon Plenue D identify albums only with their title (title is the key); it’s a problem if you have several artists that each have an album with the same name ; indeed, I have “The Black Album” of Prince and “The Black Album” of The Dandy Warhols; then the Cowon merge the two albums to make a single and strange “The Black Album”. It’s annoying because a lot of artists have albums captioned “Gold”, “Best of”, “Greatest Hits”, “The Singles”… The only way to solve the problem is to rename albums and retag their songs.

-          I’ve got a strange bug with duplicated genres ; indeed I’ve got both “Hip-Hop” and “Hip-hop” genre, and both “Psycadel. rock” and “Psychedelic Rock” ; all files are OK with correct ID3V1 TAG genre. Database update is inefficient; I had to delete files to recopying again.

-          The “database update” function in the Cowon’s system menu is  inefficient; the Cowon never make a real complete database update. The only way to force complete update is to 1) delete files 2) disconnect and let database update 3) power on and let database update 4) connect to PC and copying files again 5) disconnect and let database update 6) power on and let database update

-          The Cowon refuse some MP3 files that are OK for winamp, ipod, it says “invalid file” ; the only way is to reencode files.

-          The Cowon displays no errors messages after database update, and there is no one “error.log” files ; its makes troubleshooting very complicated ! The Cowon should have an error.log file which contains list of invalid files, tag problems, etc.…

-          8000 file limit for internal 32GB memory is OK, but 16000 file limit for SD card is to short… For a 128GB card we need a 32000 file limit.

-          Copy is very slow : it starts at 8MB/s but slows down to 500KB/s ; we need 10 hours to copy 30GB

-          File access time on the internal memory is too slow, 1 second per file ; on the SD card you can tag or delete 15000 files in 5 minutes ; on the internal memory simple operation (tag, delete) on 7000 files takes 2 hours

-          Cowon displays albums only in alphabetic order ; it would be better and more logical if we have the choice to sort albums by year (like in Winamp’s medialibrary)

-          Cowon displays genre only in alphabetic order; it would be better and more logical if we have the choice to sort genre like we want (for eg. To have “Rap” juste after “Hip-hop” and “Classic Rock” just after “Rock’n’Roll”)

-          As many users do, I’ve a “folder and file based” organization of my MP3 (one folder per genre with an order number, one folder per artist, one folder per album with year). But files are dispatched on both internal memory and SD card, and in file explorer view of the Cowon, it was armful to switch from SD card to internal memory; it is possible to “merge” on display the internal memory and the SD card?

Bests regard

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #33 of 74
French version of the bug report :

Bonjour,

J’utilise un Cowon Plenue D depuis 10 jours, firmware 1.14 ; après une semaine de tests approfondis et d’échanges sur des forums en anglais, j’ai constaté les bugs suivants ; merci de faire suivre ce message à Cowon pour mise à jour du prochain firmware :

-          Le manuel français indique une limite de 12000 fichiers sur la mémoire interne et 24000 sur la carte SD ; en fait c’est 8000 fichiers et 4000 dossiers sur la mémoire interne et 16000 fichiers et 8000 dossiers sur la carte SD, il faut préciser cela explicitement dans le manuel.

-          Le Cowon identifie les albums uniquement avec leur titre ; conséquence : si deux artistes différents, de genres différents ou pas, ont un album qui porte le même titre, les albums seront fusionnés. J’avais sur mon baladeur l’album « The Black Album » de Prince et l’album « The Black Album » des Dandy Warhols et ils ont été fusionnés en un seul album. C’est très gênant car beaucoup d’artistes ont des albums intitulés « Gold » « Best of » « Greatests Hits » ou « The Singles », et ils sont eux aussi tous fusionnés en un seul. La seule solution est de renommer les albums en re-taggant tous les fichiers

-          Je me suis retrouvé avec des genres dupliqués alors que les fichiers sont taggés du même genre ; ainsi j’avais à la fois un genre « Hip-Hop » et « Hip-hop », de même « Psydadel. rock » et « Psychedelic Rock » ; les mises à jour de base de donnée sont inopérantes, seule solution : effacer les fichiers et les copier à nouveau

-          Forcer la mise à jour de la database depuis le menu système est inopérant : le baladeur ne met pas à jour complétement la database. La seule solution est de faire, dans l’ordre : 1) supprimer les fichiers 2) deconnecter le baladeur, laisser faire le database update 3) allumer le baladeur, laisser faire le database update 4) reconnecter le baladeur, recopier les fichiers 5) deconnecter le baladeur, laisser faire le database update 6) allumer le baladeur, laisser faire le database update

-          Le baladeur refuse des fichiers MP3 (« Fichier Invalide ») alors que ceux-ci sont bien lisibles avec Winamp, avec un ipod, avec un autoradio MP3 ; seule solution, réencoder les fichiers

-          Le Cowon n’affiche aucun message d’erreur, et n’écrit pas de fichier « txt.log » où figurent les erreurs (albums non reconnus, fichiers non valides, fichiers non pris en compte car la limite du nombre de fichiers est atteinte) ; cela rend extrêmement difficile la résolution de problèmes. Le baladeur ignore des fichiers, fusionne des albums… et il faut deviner pourquoi. Il serait très utile que le baladeur "parle" et inscrive les erreurs sur un fichier de log consultable depuis l'ordinateur

-          La limite de 8000 fichiers est correcte pour les 32Go de mémoire interne (cela correspond à une taille moyenne de fichier 4Mo) mais la limite de 16000 fichiers pour la carte SD de 128Go est trop basse ; pour pleinement exploiter la carte SD de 128Go il faudrait une limite de 32000 fichiers

-          La copie des fichiers est très lente : si elle démarre à 8Mo/s, au bout de quelques fichiers elle redescend à 500Ko/s, il faut 10 heures pour copier 30Go

-          Le temps d’accès aux fichiers sur la mémoire interne est très lent : une seconde par fichier. Ainsi, tagger les fichiers sur la carte SD est rapide (15000 fichiers tagués en 5 minutes), sur la mémoire interne, il faut deux heures pour tagger 7000 fichiers. De même, la suppression des fichiers sur la mémoire interne est très lente : une seconde par fichier.

-          Le baladeur ne permet d’afficher les albums que par ordre alphabétique ; ce serait plus logique et plus confortable d’avoir une option pour afficher les albums d’un artiste par ordre chronologique (comme le permet par exemple la médialibrary de winamp)

-          De même, le baladeur ne permet d’afficher les genres que par ordre alphabétique ; dommage aussi, par exemple « Rap » se retrouve derrière « Rock psychédélique », il serait plus logique de l’afficher juste après « Hip-Hop » ; il serait plus agréable de pouvoir trier / choisir l’ordre d’affichage des genres musicaux.

-          J’ai soigneusement organisé mes fichiers avec un répertoire par genre avec un numéro pour que ce soit affiché dans un ordre logique, puis un sous-répertoire par artiste, puis un par album avec l’année avant le titre, puis les fichiers avec le numéro de piste. Mais mes fichiers sont répartis sur deux espaces de stockage (mémoire interne et carte SD). Dans l’affichage explorateur, il est fastidieux de passer de la mémoire interne à la carte SD. Serait-il possible d’avoir un mode d’affichage de l’explorateur de fichier où le contenu de la carte SD et de la mémoire interne sont fusionnés ? Tout serait au même niveau et affiché dans le bon ordre.

Merci - Cordialement

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #34 of 74
nothing Flac shows mp3 does but not Flac IM ON 1.14 firmware i tried internal and external storage
confused.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #35 of 74
  nothing Flac shows mp3 does but not Flac IM ON 1.14 firmware i tried internal and external storage
confused.gif

It may be a problem with the album cover (image file).

Try to get these albums elsewhere too. If you want tips, send PM.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #39 of 74
I added on the topic problems to be solved that I most recently saw.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #40 of 74
Mentioned this problem in the main plenue d thread, and it's worth repeating here, my plenue seems to be affected by the emi from my phone (iPhone 6), where if I hold both items in my hand, passing the iPhone over causes the plenue to display a battery low warning and shut off.

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #41 of 74
Mentioned this problem in the main plenue d thread, and it's worth repeating here, my plenue seems to be affected by the emi from my phone (iPhone 6), where if I hold both items in my hand, passing the iPhone over causes the plenue to display a battery low warning and shut off.

I am experimenting the same issue but I didn't realize that it could happen due to the iPhone (6s in my case) because it doesn't do it always they are together.

I thought it was due just to the fw (1.14) but because it just happens sometimes I haven't tried to downgrade the fw yet to confirm it.

Your comment is the only one I've found talking about this issue.

It is weird that this problem is not affecting to more users, unless it is due to a hardware defect of our units...

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #42 of 74
I am experimenting the same issue but I didn't realize that it could happen due to the iPhone (6s in my case) because it doesn't do it always they are together.

I thought it was due just to the fw (1.14) but because it just happens sometimes I haven't tried to downgrade the fw yet to confirm it.

It is weird that this problem is not affecting to more users, unless it is due to a hardware defect of our units...

My Plenue D turns off when it's near the cellphone while charging, I will check if my second DAP Plenue M2 behaves like that

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 74

It's a problem that's common to most daps, methinks due to a lack of shielding. My old dx50 and dx90 had a similar issue, albeit static as opposed to outright turning off.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #44 of 74
-> Limit for reading micro SD cards up to 128GB

Many users are having trouble using micro SD card with 200GB capacity. People can copy the files to the card, they appear on the PC, but do not play when the Plenue D is being used.

Cowon Technical Team Response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest on our product.

Please note that Plenue D supports up to 128GB SD cards.
Up to 200GB SD cards works at Plenue series excuding Plenue D.

Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Have a nice day.

-> More skins options

Add more skins options for Plenue D. I would be very happy if I had more options. And I wish you had (if possible) any skin that owned a VU Meter (I attached a picture illustrating).

Cowon Team Response:

Dear Vitor Valeri ,

Thank you for the interest in our product.

I'm sorry for the late reply.

I appreciate for your opinion on adding Plenue D skin options.

I will send your opinion to the related team.

I can't 100% assure you if your idea will be applied.

But we thank your sincere interest and make a opinion for a better Plenue D.

Thank you for using our product.

Have a good day.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #45 of 74
Hi there, happy new owner here :)
I'm having a problem regarding genre tag. My flac library is growing and has a vast variety of genre variants and I mostly use the genre tag to find my music. To make that easier and avoid drowning in too many genres, I' got used to maintaining a reduced base of genres but combining them within the GENRE tag if needed.
Example: Will Driving West are tagged "folk; indie" or others are "classical; orchestra" versus "OST, orchestra" ect.
Now across all my devices, hardware and software, such songs/albums/artists combining multiple genre tags show up under each genre, e.g. Will Driving West can be found in "folk" and in "indie" whereas the Plenue D just makes one more genre out of each combination, in case of our example, names it "folk; indie"

Am I the only one combining genre tags? And is this new to firmware 1.14 or has it always been that way?
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back