Cowon Plenue D problems
Jul 11, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 74
  I believe we are having different problems with our player. You are hearing noises only when exchanging tracks when the display is off. My player is producing noises when playing mp3 with the display off.

AFAIK, no one else is having the problems I am facing and I had run out of ideas on how to fix the issue. So I decided to return my player back for repairs. I dont know if it is a software or hardware issue but I hope they would sort it our soon.

If no one else is having the same problem as you are having, then I suggest you send it back for repairs / exchange because this is not normal. Good luck

Read the comment "01.21.2016 16:23 [19511513]" (use google translate) that this link: http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/J0000017959/SortID=19459284/

I recommend also reading the other comments.

For me it was clear that it is a software problem. I'll wait for the next firmware to see if the problem resolves.

In one of the comments says he thinks the problem occurs when there is a silence in music and the system understands that is not being used, then the system powers off and on, causing the noise.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 74
I have a theory of what's going to generate the noise during the exchange of music.

I have noticed that the noise only happens when the song has a silence at the end (with the screen turned off). If music has sound until the last second, the noise does not appear.

The silence makes the system player think he is not being used, then the amp or DAC interrupt the transmission energy (perhaps a system to prevent waste of energy). Then, when the system detects that this is required energy for the next song, the noise happens.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #18 of 74
The question is why does this affect only a handful of users. There are 200 + pages in the Plenue D thread on Head fi but the ones that are having issues with regards to music playback when the display is off are only 3 - Vitor, Jazz64 and me. How come the rest are not affected? Are they playing their music with the display on all the time? I dont think so.

I had already scoured the web and nothing came up. Nobody mentioned this particular issue on Amazon or any audio sites. There were a few posts on a Japanese site as Vitor had pointed out but that was like 6 months ago. Even before firmware 1.10 was released.We dont know if their issues have been resolved by now

It is apparent that only a few Plenue D users are experiencing this issue. It could be caused by a software glitch or maybe there was a manufacturing defect that affected a batch of Plenue D. Either way, I hope Cowon will address this issue ASAP. I had already emailed Cowon regarding this matter a while back but I'm still waiting for their response.

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 74
The question is why does this affect only a handful of users. There are 200 + pages in the Plenue D thread on Head fi but the ones that are having issues with regards to music playback when the display is off are only 3 - Vitor, Jazz64 and me. How come the rest are not affected? Are they playing their music with the display on all the time? I dont think so.

I had already scoured the web and nothing came up. Nobody mentioned this particular issue on Amazon or any audio sites. There were a few posts on a Japanese site as Vitor had pointed out but that was like 6 months ago. Even before firmware 1.10 was released.We dont know if their issues have been resolved by now

It is apparent that only a few Plenue D users are experiencing this issue. It could be caused by a software glitch or maybe there was a manufacturing defect that affected a batch of Plenue D. Either way, I hope Cowon will address this issue ASAP. I had already emailed Cowon regarding this matter a while back but I'm still waiting for their response.

I have recently bought the Plenue D and it also suffers from the track noise problem. When the screen is turned on there is no noise at all, however after the screen is turned off, there noises between track.
I have also found out that these noises may happen with specific ear/headphone. I have only tested with my FAD vi and soundmagic e10. Unluckily the former is the one suffering. I might go to a shop later to conduct more testing.
Hopefully Cowon will address this problem in the next patch as I am extremely enjoying the sound from the player.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #20 of 74
I have recently bought the Plenue D and it also suffers from the track noise problem. When the screen is turned on there is no noise at all, however after the screen is turned off, there noises between track.
I have also found out that these noises may happen with specific ear/headphone. I have only tested with my FAD vi and soundmagic e10. Unluckily the former is the one suffering. I might go to a shop later to conduct more testing.
Hopefully Cowon will address this problem in the next patch as I am extremely enjoying the sound from the player.

Thank you for your report RaonCRM. When you can do the tests, give feedback here please. I'm thinking of selling my Plenue D to buy another (same model) precisely because of this noise problem.

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 74
Just got a reply from Cowon

I am sorry to reply you late. Thank you for your kindness.

I delivered your Q&A to the related team to check out the latest firmware.

It is under testing to find out the problem.

It might be inconvenient for you to use now, but we are trying to solve the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you for using Plenue D.

I hope you enjoy listening music with Plenue D.

Have a good day.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #22 of 74

While listening to gentle piano music with a lot of quiet passages between the notes, I noticed a strange artificial noise for the first time last night. Within irregular intervals of about 10 seconds there is a regular (reoccurring) high frequency distortion (twitter) of about half a second. This is of very low level, but still clearly audible. This only happens, when the display is in OFF mode! While the display is active, this never happened, I double-checked this of course! Also, on this occasion I noticed, that there is only true gapless playing when the display is on - you can hear clearly artifacts between the tracks when the display is in OFF mode - so there is probably some relation. This happened with .wav format music files saved on internal memory only so far! I did not recognize any problems with music saved on SD storage, as far as I can tell at the moment.  

Does this happen only when you're playing wav files? Is it the same for other formats as well?. My problem is with the mp3's. I hear noises when I'm playing them from both the internal memory and sd card. But only when the display is off. Flac plays fine though...even when the display is off.

Is there noise only when you're exchanging tracks or even when the music is playing? I experienced the latter. No matter what IEM's I used, the noises are there although it is much more evident when I am using my Sony H3 and RHA 600. I brought my unit back to the dealer and they agreed that there is a problem. They are sending it to the service center and its a waiting game right now.

Thank you for your report RaonCRM. When you can do the tests, give feedback here please. I'm thinking of selling my Plenue D to buy another (same model) precisely because of this noise problem.

If you are going to get another unit, then I suggest you get it from a retailer that has a good return policy just in case you end up with the same problem.

Also, is it possible for you to change the title of the tread to Cowon Pleanue D - problems / issues when the display is off since not everyone in this thread is experiencing problems when they're exchanging tracks. Just a suggestion.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #23 of 74
I own a Plenue D and I am hearing the noises between tracks (not while tracks are being played; well, not until now!). As I use my D in random mode, I can not say whether the noise only happens when music is playing from the SD or the internal memory; the screen was always off though when I heard the noises. I use either a Creative Aurvana 3 or a Shure se215, and both cause/suffer the noises.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 74
If someone chooses to switch the player to see if you can solve the problem, please talk was achieved because I'm thinking about doing it. However I'm thinking too much before doing so, because in the country where I live does not have stores where selling Plenue D, then had to import from Japan (took one month to arrive and I paid taxes).

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 74
Listening to Diana Krall Live in Paris in Plenue D I realized noise during the songs at times there was silence! So it's not only the exchange of tracks, but when there is silence in the range (final, beginning or end).

Earphone used: JH5 PRO

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #26 of 74
I received a new answer from Cowon now:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interests in our product.

I suppose you have a problem with inter music noise.
Sorry for making discomfort when using the device.

Your valued feedback has sent to development team and we will try best to resolve the problem.
We will try to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Thank you for understanding in advance.

Have a good day"

I will give a chance for them to try to correct the firmware. I decided that I will wait for the release of the new firmware.

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #28 of 74
The noise problem disappeared completely with the new firmware! Thanks for letting the news here rhermi!

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #29 of 74
I recommend to anyone who posted about the problem on Cowon Global website to write feedback now reporting that the issue is resolved. Perhaps this helps to improve customer service in the future.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #30 of 74
I edited the title of the topic to be able to gather all the problems reported by users of the player Cowon Plenue D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back