Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Nov 1, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #706 of 1,024
Just ordered the P2 for £795 (about $1,050).

The thing that swung it over the P1 was the much-improved headphone amp, which delivers more current at low impedance. Some interesting reading about the "upgraded SoundPlus amplifier" used in the P2:

http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1622
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/283672-audio-op-amp-opa1622.html

We also get AKM's flagship DAC, which is only used in one other portable device as far as I know: the A&K SP1000, which costs £3,300!

I also consider the lack of Wifi and Bluetooth a blessing, not a curse.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #707 of 1,024
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #709 of 1,024
Just ordered the P2 for £795 (about $1,050).

The thing that swung it over the P1 was the much-improved headphone amp, which delivers more current at low impedance. Some interesting reading about the "upgraded SoundPlus amplifier" used in the P2:

http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1622
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/283672-audio-op-amp-opa1622.html

We also get AKM's flagship DAC, which is only used in one other portable device as far as I know: the A&K SP1000, which costs £3,300!

I also consider the lack of Wifi and Bluetooth a blessing, not a curse.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. After having read through the whole Plenue S and this Plenue 2 threads I'm about to commit on the P2 for purchase. Can you send me a link where you bought yours for £795, please?

And I'm curious about everybody's opinion regarding the matchability / synergy between the Cowon Plenue 2 and the AKG K3003i. I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned using this IEM.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #710 of 1,024
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. After having read through the whole Plenue S and this Plenue 2 threads I'm about to commit on the P2 for purchase. Can you send me a link where you bought yours for £795, please?

And I'm curious about everybody's opinion regarding the matchability / synergy between the Cowon Plenue 2 and the AKG K3003i. I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned using this IEM.

eglobalcentral.co.uk, with a discount code.

I can't answer about the AKG. I auditioned the Elear, Clear, LCD-X and Ether Flow with the P2 this week, and it drove all four headphones with ease. I ended up buying the Ether Flow, which I thought blew away the other three.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #711 of 1,024
eglobalcentral.co.uk, with a discount code.

I can't answer about the AKG. I auditioned the Elear, Clear, LCD-X and Ether Flow with the P2 this week, and it drove all four headphones with ease. I ended up buying the Ether Flow, which I thought blew away the other three.

I just got Ether Flow, and I'm listening to P2/EF right now (lunch). I can't wait to get home and compare with P2/Utopia and P2/HE-1000v2 (all using balanced output).

Something's got to give :)

BTW, P2 drives all three quite well. Utopia @ 38 - 48, and HEK & EF @ 68 - 78 with headphone mode on for my 'normal' volume levels.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #712 of 1,024
I just got Ether Flow, and I'm listening to P2/EF right now (lunch). I can't wait to get home and compare with P2/Utopia and P2/HE-1000v2 (all using balanced output).

Something's got to give :)

BTW, P2 drives all three quite well. Utopia @ 38 - 48, and HEK & EF @ 68 - 78 with headphone mode on for my 'normal' volume levels.

Awesome! I've just been listening to my Ethers and they're a joy with the P2. It's really revealed the deficiencies of the mobile SABRE implementation on the G6, which sounds flat by comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #713 of 1,024
Hello,

I am new here. Please guide me to choose between Plenue S & Plenue 2. (I have P1 for last 18 months. P1 sound quality is suburb. I like it very much.) Want to buy new one with balanced output and some better battery back up without compromising sound quality.

thanks in advance.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #714 of 1,024
Hello,

I am new here. Please guide me to choose between Plenue S & Plenue 2. (I have P1 for last 18 months. P1 sound quality is suburb. I like it very much.) Want to buy new one with balanced output and some better battery back up without compromising sound quality.

thanks in advance.

If you want to replicate the sound of your P1, the PS will be your safest choice, since it uses the same DAC. Check Hi-Fier's excellent review, which includes comparisons with the P1: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cowon-plenue-2.22395/reviews

That said, there's no reason to fear the P2 being thin or flat, compared to the lush, full-bodied PS. It sounds very musical and engaging to me. It's great to have left SABRE behind.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #716 of 1,024
I hope it's not too late. But this is most likely incorrect. Cowon likes to hard code the GB limits on the microSd cards. Cowon's spec page (and in first post in this thread) indicates 256gb max. That is what you should use.

And just to add my 2 cents worth, with other Cowon products, the unsupported card worked right up until the space used exceeded the ‘maximum allowable’ size by some small amount. Same story when max files/folders was exceeded.

That said, I’d love to hear that I’m mistaken with the P2.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #717 of 1,024
And just to add my 2 cents worth, with other Cowon products, the unsupported card worked right up until the space used exceeded the ‘maximum allowable’ size by some small amount. Same story when max files/folders was exceeded.

That said, I’d love to hear that I’m mistaken with the P2.

i would too, but everyone seems to have the same experience. Also, people assume the card works because they never get an error message. ultimately, people find file sin their folders that won't play on the Cowons, but will in other players.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #718 of 1,024
If you want to replicate the sound of your P1, the PS will be your safest choice, since it uses the same DAC. Check Hi-Fier's excellent review, which includes comparisons with the P1: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cowon-plenue-2.22395/reviews

That said, there's no reason to fear the P2 being thin or flat, compared to the lush, full-bodied PS. It sounds very musical and engaging to me. It's great to have left SABRE behind.

Hello,,,
I ordered and received my P2 in last week. Used it for last one week around one hour every day. I will revert back with its feedback in a day.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #719 of 1,024
Hello,

I am having P2. I am using it with my JH Rosie. I am happy with sound and performance.
Want to use LCD-2 headphone with my P2. Can some one guide me whether LCD-2 can be used with P2 directly? Or do I need any amplifier? If yes then, please suggest me good amplifier for P2 so as to use it with LCD-2.

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #720 of 1,024
i just purchased my P2 been using it for 2 days. all i have to say is smooth, and delicate sound detail. i have no regret to sell my AK70 MK II to go for P2.
The only thing i don't like is the battery indication, it is analog, can't tell much battery remain.
my wife compared my p2 with her wm1a, she was surprised as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back