Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Jul 20, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #541 of 1,024
I don't have the AK320 but I do have the P2 and P1. The P2 definitely has more transparency and detail than the P1. Both are great players but the 2 is more enjoyable for me to listen to. The P1, to me has a thicker and darker sound. I feel lucky to have both. I have been looking at the Vegas. Does the andromeda sound good with the P1? Those are the two I have been looking at. Thanks.

The Andromeda is DEAD silent on my Cowon's P1, PD and LGV10. I got/get way more resolution and details going to the Andromeda on all my players. Nothing much knocks my socks off these days but the Andromeda's did a little. Everything sounds better with great separation and layering. You can pick out where the artist is located and instrument positions which is great. I am hearing things in recording (songs Iv'e listened to over man years-FLAC) that were always there (of course) but not hearable with other IEM's (if it was there it's so little it's not noticeable). Andromeda's are stupid expensive (UGH) but I am done with IEM's and that was the goal. Was tired of climbing up the ladder of IEM's that disappointed in one way or another. The best saying is "Buy once, cry once" and that very much was true with the Andromeda. I doubt these can be outshined in the same price range unless you go 2-3x's the price.

Back to DAP's (Topic of thread): Now I know some DAP's are better at revealing details and that I what I am seeking but not want them to be harsh or hot up top. Some have said the Astell & Kern's are harsh and edgy. I know the Cowon is smooth but desire more detail if that is possible? I'm not sure if I was missing something with the P1 but I definitely was in NOT using TOTL IEM's! Now I hear the P1 I believe properly). Iv'e read that the A&K's are very revealing and some have said it equals the Mojo in resolution but the EQ distorts? I've read the P2 matches the Mojo also.

I love my P1 but feel ( I could be wrong) that it maybe too rolled off or not transparent enough? I have no idea. I'm trying to trust reviews but I have not really been able to decide as I'm not seeing many compare A&K with Cowon (No EQ) with TOTL IEM's. When someone does a review it's hard to figure out if they are getting the details and clarity from their IEM's or the DAP alone. I'm just stumped if it's worth putting down another $1000.00 with having better IEM's or not? The AK320 has the same DAC as the P2, and both are the same price and knowing it's all about implementation that is where I'm stuck deciding between the two. If the P2 is super revealing over the AK240 then I know I'm going for the P2 as many have reviewed the AK240 and said no difference between it and the AK320 or even the AK380?

If the P2 is is as detailed as the AK240 or AK320 then Cowon it is. Any thoughts?

The best post I've read said this of the Plenue S: "Anyway... it's the rage right now in Korea with people selling their AK380s to get this for sound quality alone (I'm curious certainly... much cheaper than the AK380 too)" I believe I read the P2 was more detailed than the S so that leads me to the P2 would be better in detail retrieval than the A&K's?

Edit: Irrelevant post- Ordered the P2.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #542 of 1,024
I don't have the AK320 but I do have the P2 and P1. The P2 definitely has more transparency and detail than the P1. Both are great players but the 2 is more enjoyable for me to listen to. The P1, to me has a thicker and darker sound. I feel lucky to have both. I have been looking at the Vegas. Does the andromeda sound good with the P1? Those are the two I have been looking at. Thanks.

Ok @Dukebb13 you twisted my arm and convinced me :grin:. I just placed order for the P2. If I don't like it I will give it you. :yum:

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #544 of 1,024
You won't regret it! I will let you know how the Ref8 is when I get it. I am truly excited for you, it is that good.

Thank you ever so much! :slight_smile: I will share my results here of course. I almost went with AK320 but after reading SO much about how their EQ stinks and people sell their AK240 and even 380's even after multiple updates to improve it and that it still distorts and is useless it's a pass. I don't try to use EQ but if and when I do, I would like to know I can and it will be clean and functional. I don't care or need all the Wireless junk. Just more to fail or break or induce noise or interference. No thanks, I already have a cell phone that does that. LOL.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #545 of 1,024
I think this is a better description what the DAC's filters do:

Untitled.jpg

Also reading more about the P2, it does set itself apart as it has 6 things that P1 does not for example; (And other models)

1. Balanced line out (obviously).
2. New Op Amp that is closer to 1 Ohm. Lots of TOTL IEM's like 1 Ohm.
3. Dual TCXO clock (Only S has this) <This is huge! Not many DAP's have this, usually DAP's have only one. For more accuracy and precision two is WAY better. This maybe the new standard.
4. More DAC filter control (P1 only had fast and slow) <not critical but nice to have.
5. AKM DAC (obviously) <Used in a lot of high end systems that cost over $2,000.00
6. .50mAh larger capacity battery, not major but it is more.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #546 of 1,024
I received the P2 yesterday and immediately compared it to the P1 with Campfire Andromeda. Good news and bad news; depends how you look at it.

Settings on Both:
1. DAC filters set on: Slow since P1 does not have Super Slow like P2.
2. Volume matched; at listened at different levels from 90 to 116 with different music; Pop/Rock/Reggae/Vocals etc.
3. EQ/BBE/MP Off on both, all DSP turned off.
4. Single ended (SE) out used.
5. Set on earphone mode.
6. P1 owned for 2 years - Well broken in over 400+ hours. P2 fresh out of the box.
7. P1 Update V 2.20 latest at this time of post.
8. P2 Update V 1.11 latest at this time of post.

The Good:
- The P2 is not a HUGE difference from the P1.
- P2's major difference is two things, 1. It's sound stage is definitely wider and the midrange is definitely more forward about +2 to +3db more than the P1.
- You can get the same effect with EQ from the P1 to make the midrange forward sounding like the P2.
- Highs and lows are very closely sounding, nothing major noticed.
- Both sound smooth. P2 kind of still sounds like Burr Brown but tad more refined. P2 is musical and never tiring to listen to just like the P1. P2 maybe less analog sounding, maybe tad more realistic.
- Both act and behave the same loading etc - not surprising and that is good and welcome. Only major difference is the horizontal album browsing is pretty sensitive. Nothing like the P1. P1 was just perfect. The P2 you tilt 20-30 degrees and you are in horizontal album view. Hopefully an update will desensitize that setting. You can turn this off but I like to use it as it shows the album's larger than in any other view and you can quickly scroll thought it to find music.
- I don't feel like anything major is missing in details.
- The multi wheel is super handy though. Can be used for quick volume adjustments or switching different EQ presets.
- The P2 does give and have more ways to control playing music with the multi wheel which is awesome.
- Maybe the pairing with the Andromeda was not ideal. If you have an IEM that likes below .6 Ohm the P2 on SE is perfect.
- Plays while charging and NO noise while charging. P1 was the same.
- The text is larger to read on the EQ settings. I strained to read them on the P1.
- If you don't like EQ the P2 does sound better mids and width/sound stage.
- The P2's AKM DAC plays better with the Cowon's DSP and EQ as it does not sound as processed at higher values/settings like the P1. ie: BBE on 10 on the P1 does expand the sound but add sibilance big time as does the MP Enhance.
- Additional touch settable multi button. Not the wheel but on the screen at the bottom- very handy.
- The best is that this was all done on SE connection. I will be getting a balanced cable and see if that is where the P2 can set itself apart from the P1 (hopefully).

The Bad (?):
- If you have mid forward IEM's or headphones the P2 maybe a touch too thick/forward sounding in the midrange? Some may like this some may not.
- The DAC filters do not seem to make a HUGE difference as one would think. It's extremely hard to tell the difference if any between Super Slow and Sharp on 24bit FLAC. Maybe a dog or on higher resolution DSD it maybe more noticeable, but didn't test as most of my audio are CD rips.
- It would of been nice if the DAC filters had a more pronounced effect at different bitrates you can select?
- The screen resolution on the P2 is the same as the P1.
- If you like EQ you can make the P1 sound like the P2 midrange wise, but will need the DSP effects to get the same sound stage/width and it may sound too artificial and or processed.
- Maybe the pairing with the Andromeda was not ideal as on SE as the .6 Ohm is too low? The Andromeda is known to like and prefer 1 Ohm. If you have an IEM that likes below .6 Ohm the P2 on SE is perfect.

I will report more once I get the balanced cable for my Andromeda. Should you buy the P2 if you have the P1? If you are new to Cowon the P2 is a great place to start, money no object. It's not a blow your socks off difference though. It's subtle and for many I would recommend better IEM's if you already have a P1, money better invested and more gained I feel. If you don't have a P1 then getting one that is cheaper now, is a bargain. If you like the latest and greatest and money is no issue and you like more controls and features, a larger sound stage and mid forward, the P2 is great. Will I keep it? Yes.

Update: The P2 with more usage 5 hours last night overall 10 hours so far; I find it's extracting more and more out of music that I've owned for years. It's ability to separate, present, and layer instruments and people's voices and artifacts keeps getting better and better. The most amazing is how it extracts artifacts that were always there but masked and the takes that one further and layers and positions it in such a way that it sound so very realistic. Just amazing.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #547 of 1,024
I am disappointed that you didn't notice a bigger difference between the P2 and P1. I decided to go back and see if I could hear the differences betweeen the two with my new Campfire Vegas. Using the same volume matched as best as I could and with the jet effects off I listened to songs I am familiar with over and over again.
Eric Clapton, tears in heaven off of the unplugged album. I started with the P1. Everything sounded great. The guitars sounded good then that voice came in. His voice just sounds haunting to me on this track. Like a lost soul looking for hope in God. Going to the P2 the soundstage was wider, more air between everything. I felt I could "see" more texture on the guitars and his voice. I know some would call these differences minor, but to me, it adds to my enjoyment of listening each day. The details are major to me. When I switched to balanced with the Ref8 cable, everything opened up for me. It feels like I am in the audience listening live. The percussion that was smeared in the background is easily heard. The guitars are wider apart and play against each other brilliantly! The background singers are farther to each side of the stage. It all comes together to create love at first sound. With Pink Floyd, Jack Johnson, Kris Krisofferson, Leonard Cohen, and Muse, I had similar experiences. I really hope that the balanced cable makes as much of a difference for you as it does for me. I always use jet effects, but with the vegas I actually prefer to leave it all off. I only have about 20 hours on the earphones and cable and about 70 hours on the P2 so we will see if anything changes, but well recorded music sounds live. As Radiohead sings, everything in its right place. Paul Simons latest, Stranger to stranger was a revelation to me. On the deluxe edition, Duncan, is amazing. The. Violins take me to another time whenever I hear them. I am pulled in the music like never before. I know it is the combo of the P2, Vegas, and the Reference 8 cable that takes me to this place. I want my music to make me feel, this combo does it for me. I hope it keeps getting better for you bud. Thanks for reminding me how good the P1 is and how much fun it is to compare sources and cables. You can send it to me if you don't like it, haha. Keep listening!

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #549 of 1,024
Good DAP for my Noble Katana? What do you think?

The power of P2 is not only in its neutral revealing signature, but also JetEffect that can fine tune the sound to pair up well with a sound sig of any iem.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #550 of 1,024
Since Cowon is not offering a screen protector for P2 I decided to buy and try Healing Shield protector designed for P2 and I really recommend it.
Its easy to apply , looks great and is perfectly cut to the size of the P2's screen. There is also back screen protector in the package.
I ordered it from ebay for 18usd.
DSC09664.jpg

DSC09671.jpg
DSC09668.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #552 of 1,024
I am disappointed that you didn't notice a bigger difference between the P2 and P1. I decided to go back and see if I could hear the differences betweeen the two with my new Campfire Vegas. Using the same volume matched as best as I could and with the jet effects off I listened to songs I am familiar with over and over again.
Eric Clapton, tears in heaven off of the unplugged album. I started with the P1. Everything sounded great. The guitars sounded good then that voice came in. His voice just sounds haunting to me on this track. Like a lost soul looking for hope in God. Going to the P2 the soundstage was wider, more air between everything. I felt I could "see" more texture on the guitars and his voice. I know some would call these differences minor, but to me, it adds to my enjoyment of listening each day. The details are major to me. When I switched to balanced with the Ref8 cable, everything opened up for me. It feels like I am in the audience listening live. The percussion that was smeared in the background is easily heard. The guitars are wider apart and play against each other brilliantly! The background singers are farther to each side of the stage. It all comes together to create love at first sound. With Pink Floyd, Jack Johnson, Kris Krisofferson, Leonard Cohen, and Muse, I had similar experiences. I really hope that the balanced cable makes as much of a difference for you as it does for me. I always use jet effects, but with the vegas I actually prefer to leave it all off. I only have about 20 hours on the earphones and cable and about 70 hours on the P2 so we will see if anything changes, but well recorded music sounds live. As Radiohead sings, everything in its right place. Paul Simons latest, Stranger to stranger was a revelation to me. On the deluxe edition, Duncan, is amazing. The. Violins take me to another time whenever I hear them. I am pulled in the music like never before. I know it is the combo of the P2, Vegas, and the Reference 8 cable that takes me to this place. I want my music to make me feel, this combo does it for me. I hope it keeps getting better for you bud. Thanks for reminding me how good the P1 is and how much fun it is to compare sources and cables. You can send it to me if you don't like it, haha. Keep listening!

My impressions were SE. Maybe balanced will yield something more or something special.

Update 8/2/2017:

I can't tell which is the culprit but in using the combination of the balanced out on the P2 and the balanced Litz with the Andromeda it's a match made in heaven. I can't fathom audio sounding more full and realistic and 3-D like. Vocals are less harsh and fell like at times their positions are nose to nose with you and they are singing directly at you. Creepy and amazing at the same time. Instruments and musical artifacts and special effects are all detectable and can be pinpointed in their location in this imaginary field. Sibilance (if and when present due to the track recording not the P2) is not as prevalent and less harsh and a bit smother. Even poorly recorded songs have a new "sound" to them making them sound more realistic and forward and less harsh. I'm not sure which is contributing more to all this, the Cowon P2 using balanced mode or the Andromeda with a balanced cable but both play extremely well together and now all songs have a new life and effect to them.

All genre of music is now much more full and wide(r) and way much more addictive and realistic to listen to. I never thought balanced makes THAT much of a difference but apparently is does and it's a pretty drastic effect. It's almost like having a new audio tuning function of a setting like Width/BBE of 1 to 20 and it's set on 15.

Case: If you need a case to put your DAP in BIRUGEAR are perfect and just right. They are available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WK8P3G/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

There are different variations/colors but if you stay with the same internal dimensions, these cases fit the Cowon P2 and even the P1 perfectly.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #554 of 1,024
Well I fell asleep with my P2 next to me and knocked it off the bed last night. The multi wheel hit something hard on the floor and now spins without doing anything. I was so upset with myself. Just a reminder to all to put it somewhere safe when you are not using it.

The P2 keeps getting better and better for me. The Vegas are a great match for me. I prefer a warmer sound that doesn't hurt my ears, too bright highs hurt me. The highs are clear with great decay compared to the P1, I'm using the Ref8 balanced cable. The P1 highs sound like they get cut off faster, as far as decay and sparkle go. The P2 has better highs and still doesn't hurt my ears, win for me. Well I will miss it when I have to send it in for repair, at least it still plays perfectly and did not damage my screen.

Hi-Fi'er I am so glad that going balanced helped with the sound for you. The soundstage is a bit wider for me, the highs are cleaner with better decay and the midrange is clearer, more upfront and clear. Everything is separated better for me too. I can pick out each person and instrument easier. It is just a pleasure to listen too.

I don't know where to go from here. I feel I have what I want in my sound now. I just want to buy something else and I don't know why. Haha. I know I can have different sound but not much better without spending a lot more. I was thinking of the alo CV5 amp. Has anyone tried the P2 with that amp? Not sure how it would be since the P2 doesn't have a true line out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #555 of 1,024
Well I fell asleep with my P2 next to me and knocked it off the bed last night. The multi wheel hit something hard on the floor and now spins without doing anything. I was so upset with myself. Just a reminder to all to put it somewhere safe when you are not using it.

The P2 keeps getting better and better for me. The Vegas are a great match for me. I prefer a warmer sound that doesn't hurt my ears, too bright highs hurt me. The highs are clear with great decay compared to the P1, I'm using the Ref8 balanced cable. The P1 highs sound like they get cut off faster, as far as decay and sparkle go. The P2 has better highs and still doesn't hurt my ears, win for me. Well I will miss it when I have to send it in for repair, at least it still plays perfectly and did not damage my screen.

Hi-Fi'er I am so glad that going balanced helped with the sound for you. The soundstage is a bit wider for me, the highs are cleaner with better decay and the midrange is clearer, more upfront and clear. Everything is separated better for me too. I can pick out each person and instrument easier. It is just a pleasure to listen too.

I don't know where to go from here. I feel I have what I want in my sound now. I just want to buy something else and I don't know why. Haha. I know I can have different sound but not much better without spending a lot more. I was thinking of the alo CV5 amp. Has anyone tried the P2 with that amp? Not sure how it would be since the P2 doesn't have a true line out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Why start thinking to look for another sound so quickly. Thats the trap most if not all on HF falls into. In time youll go through gear without ever really enjoying the music. Many start focusing on gear and not the music. CV5 amp when I tried it was soso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back