Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Jul 13, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #526 of 1,024
Hi Dukebb13 .. I would be interested to hear thought on how AK Jr compares to the P2? I currently own the AK Jr and looking to upgrade. My current setup is A12 (m20) with ALO Ref8 cable and AK Jr.

Many thanks
AK JR? Come on, the jr was not great.Ill take the P1 over the AK240.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #527 of 1,024
Have somebody tried connecting P2 to a smartphone? Mine is working as a DAC while listening to Tidal.
DSC09655.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #529 of 1,024
Have somebody tried connecting P2 to a smartphone? Mine is working as a DAC while listening to Tidal.

Yes, out of my iPhone. I initially couldn't use it because of the phone power drain. Since they added the switch to run off the internal battery, it has been great.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #530 of 1,024
Hi Dukebb13 .. I would be interested to hear thought on how AK Jr compares to the P2? I currently own the AK Jr and looking to upgrade. My current setup is A12 (m20) with ALO Ref8 cable and AK Jr.

Many thanks
Hey, honestly it is night and day to me. I don't want to hate on the jr because I do enjoy listening to it, but it sounds veiled, darker, and more digital to me compared to the P2. The upgrade from the jr to P1 is a big jump, going to P2 is a huge jump. I don't believe you would regret it at all. I honestly look forward to coming home after work and listening for as long as I can. Most of all just enjoy your music. If all someone had was an old boom box but enjoyed the music, that is enough. We all keep trying to get more and better things instead of enjoying the music. That being said, how is the Ref8 cable? Haha

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #531 of 1,024
Hey, honestly it is night and day to me. I don't want to hate on the jr because I do enjoy listening to it, but it sounds veiled, darker, and more digital to me compared to the P2. The upgrade from the jr to P1 is a big jump, going to P2 is a huge jump. I don't believe you would regret it at all. I honestly look forward to coming home after work and listening for as long as I can. Most of all just enjoy your music. If all someone had was an old boom box but enjoyed the music, that is enough. We all keep trying to get more and better things instead of enjoying the music. That being said, how is the Ref8 cable? Haha

Thanks for your reply. I had a chance to listen to the P2 last night and I'd have to agree it is night and day compared to the Jr. JetEffects is amazing .. it was on the default Normal setting initially, then I changed it to Headphone 1 and literally went wow!! .. I tried Headphone 2 but definitely Headphone 1 sounded better. To the Ref8 cable. Over on the 1964 Ears Adel forum a lot of people have stated the A12's sound veiled, at the time I purchased my A12's I didn't really understand what veiled was as my previous IEM's were ATIM03 and the A12's sounded out of this world. After reading many post on the Ref8 I'd thought I give it a listen and understood what veiled meant. The stock cable sounded muffled, especially on the high end and the Ref8 completely opens it up. The only downside is the microphonics as its quite a rigid cable .. fine when the music is playing but when its not and it starts rubbing onto your shirt collar it can become quite annoying especially if you have the cable dangling in front like I do. But sound wise, best upgrade I've made so far.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #532 of 1,024
Thanks for your reply. I had a chance to listen to the P2 last night and I'd have to agree it is night and day compared to the Jr. JetEffects is amazing .. it was on the default Normal setting initially, then I changed it to Headphone 1 and literally went wow!! .. I tried Headphone 2 but definitely Headphone 1 sounded better. To the Ref8 cable. Over on the 1964 Ears Adel forum a lot of people have stated the A12's sound veiled, at the time I purchased my A12's I didn't really understand what veiled was as my previous IEM's were ATIM03 and the A12's sounded out of this world. After reading many post on the Ref8 I'd thought I give it a listen and understood what veiled meant. The stock cable sounded muffled, especially on the high end and the Ref8 completely opens it up. The only downside is the microphonics as its quite a rigid cable .. fine when the music is playing but when its not and it starts rubbing onto your shirt collar it can become quite annoying especially if you have the cable dangling in front like I do. But sound wise, best upgrade I've made so far.

and you can open the sound a little more by trying M15 modules. With U18, I always go for M20 to bring more bass in, with U12, I go back to M15 w/Ref8 to make sound more balanced and open. But of course, this is just a matter of a personal preference :wink:

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #533 of 1,024
FB_IMG_1500049563408.jpg
FB_IMG_1500049570094.jpg

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #535 of 1,024
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #537 of 1,024
Currently reading through this thread. Which would you prefer, Plenue S or Plenue 2? Any comparisons between the two? Would be listening via balanced output mostly. Currently the Plenue S is $100 more than the 2. Trying to decide, if I decide on either of these 2, which to get.

Jul 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #539 of 1,024
How does the P2 fair against the AK320 (EQ off?) transparency/detail retrieval wise? Which DAP is less harsh/hot/sibilant? Iv'e never heard either. I already have the P1 but love more detail if either DAP can achieve that. Pairing will be with the CampFire Andromeda.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #540 of 1,024
How does the P2 fair against the AK320 (EQ off?) transparency/detail retrieval wise? Which DAP is less harsh/hot/sibilant? Iv'e never heard either. I already have the P1 but love more detail if either DAP can achieve that. Pairing will be with the CampFire Andromeda.

Thank you.
I don't have the AK320 but I do have the P2 and P1. The P2 definitely has more transparency and detail than the P1. Both are great players but the 2 is more enjoyable for me to listen to. The P1, to me has a thicker and darker sound. I feel lucky to have both. I have been looking at the Vegas. Does the andromeda sound good with the P1? Those are the two I have been looking at. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back