Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
May 26, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #482 of 1,024
Big review of P2 from Japan:
http://sandalaudio.blogspot.ru/2017/04/cowon-plenue-2.html
But it needs a better translation, than google, to understand what the hack they are talking about.

Bottom line of that review is that the reviewer preferred the Cowon Plenue S because of the tonality and driving power. Appears that the P2 is more suited to IEM and it is also less colored than the S.

The two main points were that, firstly, Plenue 2 is not the Plenue S2 that some people claim it to be. Secondly, Plenue 2 sound character is a bit more detailed and refined, honest and less creative, particularly in the midrange.

I still like the Plenue S because it has a nice warm round feeling that works well with older recordings. Vocals and instruments stand out, and the recording noise gets tucked away. I would call it coloured, but others may call it musical. Basically it has the potential to make the crappy recordings sound better than how i remember them to be.

Only thing I would complain about is that the multi-wheel thing seems to be a bit redundant.

May 29, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #484 of 1,024
Based on SandalAudio's review, I bought the S after the P2. I agree that the S is warmer and better suited to less than perfect recordings.
so u prefer the s over p2

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #489 of 1,024
That may be true coz they use the same BB dac. P2 uses AKM chip same as the AK new flagship.

Actually, I would say that AK new flagship uses the same AKM chip as P2 which already had it for awhile :wink:

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #490 of 1,024
Jun 4, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #491 of 1,024
Actually, I would say that AK new flagship uses the same AKM chip as P2 which already had it for awhile :wink:
I think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on one of these. I've also got the P1 so will post some comparisons - may be in a few months time though.

I guess everyone around here says this, but I swear once I have the P2 I'll be set for a DAP for the foreseeable future and won't be being another! :wink:

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #492 of 1,024
Just posted my full review of Plenue 2 here. It's an updated review based on my first impression write up I shared over a month ago, but with a lot of comparison, pair ups and other details.

cowon_p2-21.jpg

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #493 of 1,024
Just posted my full review of Plenue 2 here. It's an upated review based on my first impression write up I shared over a month ago, but with a lot of comparison, pair ups and other details...

@twster6: Thanks for a great review. Amusing how subjective this stuff is (comparing your review to HifiChris', and reading all the differing reviews of the X5iii). Your ears/my ears :darthsmile:

A little addendum: in the latest firmware update Cowon added ("at my suggestion" he says, patting himself on the back) a system setting 'USB DAC Power'. Values are either 'Internal battery' or ''PC/Smartphone'. The first prevents the P2 from drawing down the battery of a portable device, while the second charges the P2 from the USB-attached device. So one can (and I have) streamed from a mobile device through the P2 without running the (iPhone) down rapidly.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #494 of 1,024
@twster6: Thanks for a great review. Amusing how subjective this stuff is (comparing your review to HifiChris', and reading all the differing reviews of the X5iii). Your ears/my ears :darthsmile:

A little addendum: in the latest firmware update Cowon added ("at my suggestion" he says, patting himself on the back) a system setting 'USB DAC Power'. Values are either 'Internal battery' or ''PC/Smartphone'. The first prevents the P2 from drawing down the battery of a portable device, while the second charges the P2 from the USB-attached device. So one can (and I have) streamed from a mobile device through the P2 without running the (iPhone) down rapidly.

At the end of the day what's important is how you hear it and if you like it. From your sig, looks like you got both X5iii and P2?

I'm right now listening to U18 w/M20 module and PWA No5 cable from P2 balanced and it's an audio bliss!

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #495 of 1,024
At the end of the day what's important is how you hear it and if you like it. From your sig, looks like you got both X5iii and P2?

I'm right now listening to U18 w/M20 module and PWA No5 cable from P2 balanced and it's an audio bliss!

Yes, the P2 was a bit of an impulse purchase. Thought I'd try it out and then send it back, but I haven't been able to let it go. Sounds wonderful. Still holding onto the X5 due to value/functionality.

Eventually I'll have to make a decision to decide to finally make a decision ... Feeling like Jimmy Durante in the bit from 'My Stepmother is an Alien'. Waiting now to see how much I like the Fireye HDB with either DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back