Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
May 3, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #452 of 1,024
according to google translate HIFI Chris wrote that balanced output on Plenue 2 is not real so to me it means it's fake

This could be interpreted in different ways. For example, there is absolutely no difference between BAL and SE in X5iii, but it's convenient to use one vs the other if you already have balanced terminated cables and don't want to use an adapter. With DX200, BAL output doubles the voltage swing and power output, that's a true balanced architecture of rail-to-rail full voltage swing design. And then, you have a lot of other implementations in between where balanced output gives you some subtle improvement which is not as drastic. I can't speak for Chris, and I know that he doesn't just rely on his ears but takes real measurements. I can just speak from my own personal perspective of what I hear, and just like with many other DAPs there is no night'n'day differences, but I do hear the improvement as I noted in my first impression mini-review... When I get to finish the full review, I will spend more time with BAL vs SE comparison, especially now since P2 has more burn in hours.

May 3, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #453 of 1,024
ouch, I was not aware that my P2 has fake balanced output

It might be a slight Google Translate misunderstanding - I wrote "not 'real'" with quotation marks, indicating that it shouldn't be interpreted as if the Plenue 2 was using a "fake" balanced output, but rather that it doesn't have a fully balanced internal structure (dual-mono signal path), but that the balanced signal is only "made" right before the 2.5 mm output.

In contrast to the DX200 and Luxury & Precision L3/L3 Pro (volume-matched with meters) where I was able to discern some difference between the balanced and single-ended output, I was not in case of the Plenue 2 (using my LCD-X and the SIRIUS - no other IEMs and headphones since I am not really a 2.5 mm TRRS/"balanced guy" in general).
I also wrote that, while it is a little sad for me and doesn't add much of a value in my opinion except for not having to use adapters, it is the implementation that matters in the end, and the P2's implementation is very good in my opinion, wherefore having the exact same sound (to my ears) coming from the balanced and single-ended output is certainly not a bad thing and that there is a good amount of other DAPs that isn't using a "real" (note the quotation marks again) balanced output either.

Ymmv of course.

May 3, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #454 of 1,024
HiFiChris, as i understand you don't hear a big differece between P2 and DX200. i've read some impressions of DX200, where people talking, that it has a bit restricted (or better say- recesed) vocals. Is it also fair for P2?

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #455 of 1,024
HiFiChris, as i understand you don't hear a big differece between P2 and DX200. i've read some impressions of DX200, where people talking, that it has a bit restricted (or better say- recesed) vocals. Is it also fair for P2?

Where did you read this DX200 impression? Do you have a link? I'm due for a good laugh :D

May 3, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #456 of 1,024
Where did you read this DX200 impression? Do you have a link? I'm due for a good laugh :D
On our local forum. It's lost in endless ocean of massages about glitches and touch screen phantoms :). But it was noticed by several people. I can try to request them.

Btw, Twister, what do you think about differences in reproduction of middle frequencies between DX200 and P2?

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #457 of 1,024
On our local forum. It's lost in endless ocean of massages about glitches and touch screen phantoms :). But it was noticed by several people. I can try to request them.

Btw, Twister, what do you think about differences in reproduction of middle frequencies between DX200 and P2?

Let me take a wild guess, "our" local forum is player.ru? :wink: Only visited it once, got a headache from reading it (it's been awhile since I read in Russian), but did see Cleg being regular in there. I also saw in there someone trying to translate my P2 impressions :D

Regarding middle frequencies, I think I already replied to you in a few other threads awhile back (probably in Opus and DX200), it's not about source but your headphones sound sig and their pair up with your source. If either of these DAPs would had high output impedance and you are using multi-BA iems, there could be a possibility. But these are all neutral sources with low output impedance and just a slightly different tonality, varying from warmers to brighter. Typical "vocal" frequencies shouldn't be affected. No manufacturer will tune their DAP like headphones with peaks and valleys to boost or to scoop out frequencies. Maybe some will have more bass boost or rolled off treble, but typically they have a relative flat frequency response. It's usually about the signature of your headphones and their pair up with your source.

May 4, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #458 of 1,024
Let me take a wild guess, "our" local forum is player.ru? :wink: Only visited it once, got a headache from reading it (it's been awhile since I read in Russian), but did see Cleg being regular in there. I also saw in there someone trying to translate my P2 impressions :D
Yep. It's pleeer.ru. Cleg posting video reviews and moderating there, he is a local Jude i think :)

Regarding middle frequencies, I think I already replied to you in a few other threads awhile back (probably in Opus and DX200), it's not about source but your headphones sound sig and their pair up with your source. If either of these DAPs would had high output impedance and you are using multi-BA iems, there could be a possibility. But these are all neutral sources with low output impedance and just a slightly different tonality, varying from warmers to brighter. Typical "vocal" frequencies shouldn't be affected. No manufacturer will tune their DAP like headphones with peaks and valleys to boost or to scoop out frequencies. Maybe some will have more bass boost or rolled off treble, but typically they have a relative flat frequency response. It's usually about the signature of your headphones and their pair up with your source.
I can't allow myself to make another mistake and pay tons of cash for peice of... audio gear, which after few months of listening will be sold at half of it's initial price, cuz it's sounds awfull with any headphones. Unfortunately I have no oportunity to listen something before buy it. Only reviews and impressions can guide me.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #459 of 1,024
Yep. It's pleeer.ru. Cleg posting video reviews and moderating there, he is a local Jude i think :)

I can't allow myself to make another mistake and pay tons of cash for peice of... audio gear, which after few months of listening will be sold at half of it's initial price, cuz it's sounds awfull with any headphones. Unfortunately I have no oportunity to listen something before buy it. Only reviews and impressions can guide me.

But that means you have to find someone with exact same pair of headphones, listening to the same type of music, having the same ear sensitivity, etc. Will not be easy to find a review you can rely on 100%. Why not take a trip to Ukraine to visit Cleg? He gets all the review samples.

May 4, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #460 of 1,024
But that means you have to find someone with exact same pair of headphones, listening to the same type of music, having the same ear sensitivity, etc. Will not be easy to find a review you can rely on 100%. Why not take a trip to Ukraine to visit Cleg? He gets all the review samples.
If Cleg get P2 for review, my journey wouldn't be necessary.

Here one of the messages about DX200 vocals:
http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=162055&p=2179182&viewfull=1#post2179182
Vocals is not drowned or veild, it's just not expressive, flat. Vocals is not the best thing in dx200. But it has splash on treble and infra bass. If you like infra bass, this is your DAP

May 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #461 of 1,024
DX200 was and is flat, cold, buggy and emotionless.

May 4, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #462 of 1,024
May 4, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #463 of 1,024
Yrue, I bet the #3 Amp will make it better. Intetesting how many said the stock amp made the stock DX200 sound better than the Chord Hugo and AK380.

May 4, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #464 of 1,024
Yrue, I bet the #3 Amp will make it better. Intetesting how many said the stock amp made the stock DX200 sound better than the Chord Hugo and AK380.

Perhaps those people have preference for a more neutral analytical sound? I'm still waiting for AMP2, but so far every impression sounds promising.

But back to Plenue 2 discussion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back