COWON i9/S9 - Sound Quality and the ULTIMATE EQ
Jan 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ He means if you select "Europe" as your setting on the S9 it will limit the volume. There is no "France" setting.

Very odd settings since as I said the limits have not been imposed in Europe, just France.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very odd settings since as I said the limits have not been imposed in Europe, just France.

Probably just easier to do it on setup for region (I guess that also determines radio ranges?), and since France is in Europe, then they just made it do it for all of it.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirtar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably just easier to do it on setup for region (I guess that also determines radio ranges?), and since France is in Europe, then they just made it do it for all of it.

Right, only thing is; ZuneHD is not even available in Europe. AT ALL.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, only thing is; ZuneHD is not even available in Europe. AT ALL.

Are you in the right thread? Your post was the first mention of the ZHD as far as I can tell (the previous posts were all referring to the Cowon S9). If you're referring to any type of hybrid digital type radio, I wasn't. US and Europe use different frequency ranges for FM radio anyways.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by miow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I would like to ask to the COWON's experts if the sound quality of the i9 does improve with time (burn-in). I like the sound, pretty detailed on highs, but pretty hard to get rid of distortion (bass) in some songs (doing all the tweaks and EQ). Anyways, the main question is if this little "monster" needs some burn-in. … …

I won’t comment on your ultimate EQ settings
rolleyes.gif

But when it comes to your statements on ABI regarding the s9 being better than the i9’s sound quality, they are almost identical and it’s highly probably they both have the same Telechips SoC/Wolfson DAC combo. If you don’t believe what I have already stated to you on ABI, read the RMAA test done by dfkt here.

When it comes to equipment burn-in, I think you’ll find two schools of thought here on Head-Fi, those that believe and those that don’t. Like I said over there, read here, burn-in is like number 6 and I guess you should know now why I said “placebo.”

BTW, why didn’t you preface your post here with your "music producer" line, it might have carried more weight
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by miow on ABI
… I believe that most users won't notice the difference (you included), but one with a better auditive sensivity will absolutely tell the difference. As a music producer it's part of my job to work with equalizers and I can assure you ... ... …

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of the perfect EQ/SE settings - for me this is simply ViVA.

Pretty much agree with that, VIVA is the way to go with most phones.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirtar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you in the right thread? Your post was the first mention of the ZHD as far as I can tell (the previous posts were all referring to the Cowon S9). If you're referring to any type of hybrid digital type radio, I wasn't. US and Europe use different frequency ranges for FM radio anyways.

Haha, strangely enough I was not high when writing that
wink.gif
My bad.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #23 of 53
The ULTIMATE equalization for the S9 (Hippo VB/ Sennheiser IE8):

EQ (from left to right)

Level 4 - 80 Hz - Wide
Level 5 - 500 Hz - Wide
Level 1 - 780 HZ - Wide
Level 8 - 3.0 kHz - Wide
Level 9 - 13 kHz - Wide

(compared to the i9 I got slight better highs with these frequencies)

BBE+

BBE 5
Mach3Bass 3
3D Surround off
MP Enhance off

STE

Stereo Enhance 6
Reverb off

Enjoy!

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, why didn’t you preface your post here with your "music producer" line, it might have carried more weight
rolleyes.gif

HAHAHAHA!!! You are a complete joke, dude.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

No need to start flaming. I didn't think this would end well when I saw a posting for "ULTIMATE EQ"!
Everybodies preferences and ears are different so there is no "ULTIMATE"
FWIW, I have been told by a sound engineer that it is always better to cut rather than boost with EQ.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

The words posted were your own, your flaming only exemplifies your ignorance. Edit: I didn’t ban you on ABI because I don’t believe you committed an offence and we were discussing different beliefs, but if you come back flaming like this, you’ll be gone …

Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to start flaming. I didn't think this would end well when I saw a posting for "ULTIMATE EQ"!
Everybodies preferences and ears are different so there is no "ULTIMATE"
FWIW, I have been told by a sound engineer that it is always better to cut rather than boost with EQ.

I couldn’t agree more, either flat eq or subtle changes are best for me but I wouldn’t even bother to post what I like best, because as you say we all hear differently …

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn’t agree more, either flat eq or subtle changes are best for me but I wouldn’t even bother to post what I like best, because as you say we all hear differently …

I don't really care for eq much. It's not for the "oh it's tampering with the sound" deal (which, IIRC on portable sources dfkt finds to be a ridiculous argument), but rather that I am somewhat lazy, and as long as I can hear what I want I'm usually fine. My rio has an eq but I never use it. Same with foobar. I just don't want to mess with it because I have no interest in trying and then screwing up (although I hear the viva and maestro settings on the S9 are very nice).

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #28 of 53
Cant say im against "eq ing" but some of the settings here sound horrible ,dont use my cowon much after geting the sflo but i always found a gentle curve as it were ,sounds better with maybe a bbe of 1 ,but i suppose its up to the user what they find best
normal_smile .gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #29 of 53
There is no such thing as an "Ultimate" EQ setting as it will all depend on the equipment used - different headphones can sound quite different on their own - an obnoxious EQ setting isn't going to change that. I did listen to your EQ setting by the way: Yuck, definitely not my cup of tea. If you like it that's fine, but don't act so surprised when other don't.

Here is what I use on my S9
rolleyes.gif
with my iBasso T3 and Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10:

+1dB at 80Hz (wide)
-1dB at 300Hz (normal)
+1dB at 1.1kHz (normal)
+0dB at 3.0kHz (wide)
+0dB at 13kHz (wide)

BBE: 2
Mach3Bass: 1
3D Surround: 1
MP Enhance: On

Stereo Enhance: Off
Reverb: Off

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #30 of 53
lol, how can you listen to music with this EQ? Yeah, definitely everyone has his own ear and taste. I love (very) strong highs and bass on PMPs.
smily_headphones1.gif
Call me names, but I do.

When I said ULTIMATE, I was obviously kidding. It's just MY prefered EQ on this PMP. Anyways hard to believe that I'm the only one liking this. lol.

So I believe that most of you guys hate treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back