Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Nov 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #451 of 479
So when you are listening for differences, are you running both players (Samsung and Cowon) "flat" with no enhancing eq setting, either stock or third party, or are you tweaking both to the best of their abilities? 

My Samsung Infuse (very similar in specs to the Galaxy S players) puts the D3 to complete shame as a functional Android device, but try as I might, using the stock effects or the third party Voodoo Sound app,  I cannot get the Infuse to sound nearly as good as the D3 does with my favorite eq preset (BBE2) engaged.  

As far as flat or "normal" setting comparisons though, would have to agree - I can tell no difference to very little difference when running my Zune HD, iPod Touch 4, Sansa Fuze, Cowon D3 and now Samsung Infuse at "normal" eq settings.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #452 of 479

Quote:

As far as flat or "normal" setting comparisons though, would have to agree - I can tell no difference to very little difference when running my Zune HD, iPod Touch 4, Sansa Fuze, Cowon D3 and now Samsung Infuse at "normal" eq settings.

I find my Zune HD sounds a little thin/weak compared to my Touch 4G with EQ disabled on both. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable. But I usually listen to it with my E6 on EQ2 setting, so it's all good.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #453 of 479

Quote:
So when you are listening for differences, are you running both players (Samsung and Cowon) "flat" with no enhancing eq setting, either stock or third party, or are you tweaking both to the best of their abilities? 

I have a home-made A-B switch box that I'll use when someone asks "which sounds better?". Two inputs, one headphone output. I usually start the same few songs (same files) playing on both at the same time, then switch back and forth as they play. No, I don't use any efffects or EQ settings.  Mud is mud, no matter how you paint it. If a player starts out sounding sucky when "flat" then all the enhancing or EQing do is enhance sucky.  JMHO

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #454 of 479
It's a nokia
devil_face.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #455 of 479
I have run into a bit off a dilema.... i am an Australian 15 year old and sadly my Zen x-fi 2 is on its way out, the screen is slowing but surely fizziling out and goin black in spots, but thats not the problem, i dont know wat to replace it with!?!?!?!?!  i love the creative range for its sound but the Zen-Touch 2 just dosnt call to me and it has had reviews that have pointed out some serious flaws, i have looked around and nothing seems to fit what i want except maybe the Cowon D3, but after reading every post i am unsure about the bugs of it.

1. does it have the same/better audio capabilities as Creative's Zen x-fi 2??
2. Is it normally laggy? or does it only do that when multitasking??
3. Are the Andriod apps more work and less play?

I am not a fan of apple due to there monopoly of the market and has made it diffucult for any competion to actually compete and the only other PMP that has drawn my attention the in Zune HD but from wat i gather is that they have stopped being made..... thankyou for this, its just i am completely lost :/

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #456 of 479
Hi, I'm new to the Cowon D3 family and I am totally lost with this player. I bought knowing the audio was really great and the player seems well built but I can't find anything anywhere so far that helps me learn how to use it. Before I send it back to Amazon I thought maybe there is someone in these forums that can help an amateur like me get away from my Zune and learn about my new player. The sound so far is great but I have no clue how to navigate the menus or anything like that. Don't mean to seem pathetic but I could really use some help or be directed somewhere that I can learn more about this player. I feel like I'm in over my head and I miss my simple Zune. Thanks for reading this and I hope I can learn about this player. I am so impressed with it so far but am just stuck as to what to do next. At least I loaded it with some music and got it to play but that is all I've done. Thanks for your help anyone, skip

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #457 of 479
To Newo---- I know how you feel about being lost, I had a Zune and it was really easy, one software, one player and it all worked together but the sound is nothing like the Cowon and that fact is the only thing at the moment that is keeping me from sending my D3 back. I don't much care about the apps just yet, I just want to learn how to use the player and there is no manual to speak of, good luck  to you and sorry I can't be of help but I am brand new at this, skip

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #458 of 479
Thankyou Rskipk..... im sorry to hear that the interface can be rather cumbersome and hard to use but i may hopefully have found the online user manual for it at: http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C09&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&bmenu=support&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&bmenu=support&desc=asc&no=53&bmenu=support
i hope this helps eve nthough i myself havent yet downloaded it ......i think when i pull together the money i will take the plunge :) i am buying mainly for the music so i cant wait on that respect and i just hope i can bumble my way around the rest of it :) thankyou and i hope the manual helps

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #459 of 479
I bought the last digital output cable for D3 that was available on US market (even before buying a D3 LOL, because there was only one cable I could found in US). However, I changed my mind.

Anyone wants to take this USB to Coaxial digital cable off my hands? I paid $18.13 usd for it at Amazon. Again, this one seems to be the last one available on US market.

I already have 3X iPhone 3GS (all with digital output docks), 2X Rockboxed Sansa Clip and 3 other coaxial digital output players (Archos 605 with dock). I guess getting another Cowon D3 does not make much sense, because my 3GS can do MOG very well and my Sansa can play FLAC and WAV very well.

Here is what the cable looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/COWON-TV-Out-Cable-V5/dp/B003AYZTA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

Please see the FS thread listed in my signature for details, if you would like to buy this digital cable.Thank you.

May 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #460 of 479
Nice to hear the SQ is good, not so nice to hear the OS is cumbersome. I have a Zune HD and I'm thinking of upgrading to the D3 and I'm pretty tech savy but I'm wondering though how easily I'll be able to figure out how to use the OS on the D3! Non the less I'm glad to have decided upon the D3 as opposed to the C2 or J3, as it's been said each Cowon player gets better and better SQ :D plus I <3 google, so the Andriod powerd OS just makes it all the more tempting ^^... just need some cash e.e

May 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #461 of 479
I am not sure if newer Cowon players always sound better than their ancestors from a year ago. I do know for sure though, if you take the digital coaxial signal out of D3 and feed it to iBasso D10 or Fiio E17 or any other coaxial dac with a good amp, the D3 will beat most portable players, including the newer Cowon Z2, in sound quality.

May 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #462 of 479
How would you take a digital Coaxal output out? Would you use that cable your selling or is there another cable...

also this player sounds great my only problem is,

Amazon sells them new for $201... the J3 is $200 for the 16gb and the 32Gb D3 is the same price... should I trust amazon?

May 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #463 of 479
To take D3's coaxial digital out, you simply have mucic playing on D3, pause, plug in that cable in my profile to D3's miniUSB port, and connect the orange RCA male into a digital analog convertor (DAC) with coaxial RCA female input (then connect DAC to headphone amp and play). That cable is all you need and no other external hardware is needed.

I am not aware of any other cable that works for Cowon players because their USB dock is proprietary (only popular in Korean). That cable also works for Cowon V5 or Q5W and should work for future Cowon players that support coax digital output. To reduce bulkiness, you can cut off the red, yellow or white plug if you only need coax digital output. For details, please refer to:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/277895/cowon-q5w-spdif-ibasso-d1-review    and     http://www.head-fi.org/t/578714/has-anyone-taken-interest-in-the-digital-out-on-the-cowon-d3 

I was going to buy that refurbished 32GB D3 from Cowon through Amazon for $166.5 shipped. It is sold by JetAudio/Cowon so it should carry factory warranty just like new ones. I have bought several refurbished electronics online from Amazon and have not met any problem.

May 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #464 of 479
Quote:
To take D3's coaxial digital out, you simply have mucic playing on D3, pause, plug in that cable in my profile to D3's miniUSB port, and connect the orange RCA male into a digital analog convertor (DAC) with coaxial RCA female input (then connect DAC to headphone amp and play). That cable is all you need and no other external hardware is needed.

I am not aware of any other cable that works for Cowon players because their USB dock is proprietary (only popular in Korean). That cable also works for Cowon V5 or Q5W and should work for future Cowon players that support coax digital output. To reduce bulkiness, you can cut off the red, yellow or white plug if you only need coax digital output. For details, please refer to:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/277895/cowon-q5w-spdif-ibasso-d1-review    and     http://www.head-fi.org/t/578714/has-anyone-taken-interest-in-the-digital-out-on-the-cowon-d3 

I was going to buy that refurbished 32GB D3 from Cowon through Amazon for $166.5 shipped. It is sold by JetAudio/Cowon so it should carry factory warranty just like new ones. I have bought several refurbished electronics online from Amazon and have not met any problem.

That's good to hear

May 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #465 of 479
Quote:

oh wow, i thought the optical out was just a line out (like LOD).....so I could just bypass Cowon's DAC and fully use my Fiio E17's amp and DAC...!  Although both DACs are Wolfsons and probably sound very similar.  However, this way I would be avoiding dual amping altogether, right? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back