Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Aug 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #436 of 479
Hi

I attempted downloading the latest Android Gingerbread firmware update using the downloaded application from the Cowon site by following the instructions step by step but keep getting told by the update application that the player is not in download mode.

Has anyone encountered this issue?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

John

Singapore

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #438 of 479
For anyone that cares, Cowon has a 1.54 Korean firmware update that is supposed to fix a few flaws.

Download page.  You may need to translate it.  It mentions "beta" and so they may skip releasing this update for the other regions while they let their Korean owners test and perhaps find even more bugs to fix.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #439 of 479
Thanks for your advice.  I followed the steps and it seems that the D3 is in download mode but the firmware application to update gingerbread does not appear to recognize that.  Wonder if it is a bug with the update software.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #440 of 479
Here are my first week impressions of the D3

I got the C2 a month ago as replacement for my broken J3. Soundwise it was ok but what a hassle to navigate. Really made me regret i bought it. Bang, then it broke. I panicked a week ago and spent even more money on the D3 - what i was actually trying to save with the C2. 

Before (almost) even starting the device i upgraded to newest fw. Then i thought i was home. I hassled around filling sd cards and tried them on the D3 and was about to cry. Another mistake i made buying this device i thought. It was impossible to play music so i tried every android player i could find. Still not satisfied. Music hardly loaded and starting play was very slow and mostly i didn't know if i had hit play or what. Most important use i have for it is on big systems but the output volume was very low and even if turned the system to max i could hardly hear the music. Bummer
Then i played around installing some programs and learned it actually handled them well and got the idea that the D3 might actually work. After a few days i thought it ran better so i removed the alternative players, Rockplayer, Winamp and Xing since they didn't really improve anything. And it played (almost) evrything smooth - just as i hoped from the start. I switched to another EQ setting and the output volume worked as i had expected. Good sq and perfect for big system :) 

Usually i play .wav files but they seem to load a little slow so i converted to .flac and there is no delay. mp3 is smooth also. Yay, it works, somewhat
It's not perfect but now it does what i expected from the start and like i expected. I also use a Nexus S and Galaxy Tab (both android) and they are faster loading programs and smoother in program use. But i knew the D3 was a little lower in cpu so it was expected. Since i "only" use it for music it's ok but it's a bonus it actually does other android tasks
Only thing it lacks to outbeat the J3 and S9 totally is gapless playback. I always thought the J3 and S9 very amazingly crazy to navigate even if lightyears ahead of the C2 but the D3 is very logic and easy to navigate. Android doesn't suck on the D3 but it is a little slower than current Android phones. Getting though menues is fast and perfect - no sluggishness. Display is responsive and sharp as a knife even compared to the Nexus S

First impression was "throw it out from a building". After a week i feel good with it. Except for gapless, battery time and weight it's in every way an improvement from J3 and S9 even if both the two old players are very (very) good
I better stop here and will let you know if the D3 is improved or breaks like my C2 and J3. Also recommending the C2 compared to S9, J3 or D3 is meaningless imo. The C2 is a cheap and hard to navigate toy even if it has sd and good sound. The C2 is definately a budget decision and a mistake i will not repeat :)

Pros
Navigation is good. (If not perfect). I enjoy Android on the D3 and wish it had been on the J3
All the usual Cowon good things got better exept for a few i mentioned

Cons
Lack gapless (but i hope/think it will come)
Lacks meaningful timeshift/pitch. the 10% is useless imo. Fix this with gapless and Cowon is way ahead of competition
Battery life (but easy to live with even if we vere spoiled with the J3 and S9)
Not current hardware but that is always an issue when a device is a few months old
Doesn't load .wav files perfecly

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #442 of 479
x.55 firmware now available for the D3.

dot_green.gif

Video Player
Display recent played file when the Video widget starts.
Fixed the error that some video files were unstable while resuming.
Fixed the error of AV Sync problem with Fast Forward or Fast Rewind playback.
dot_green.gif

Home

Fixed the error that click widget was temporary stopped in Home screen.
dot_green.gif

App Update

KakaoTalk, JetVD
dot_green.gif

Stabilized

Fixed the error that device was stopped or reboot while playing contents or using UI.
dot_green.gif

Fixed other bugs

LINK

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #444 of 479
Sep 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #445 of 479
Despite it's flaws, for a first shot at an Android media player the D3 has become my reference for every other android player to come out since.  Cowon and Archos have been good at updating their players after purchase.  Creative updated their Touch-2s once so far. Samsung apparentlycan't find a ship to bring some of theirs to the U.S., and now android players are becoming a commodity with everyone else coming up with one.  Sony is showing one, no doubt to be overpriced like the X. Lattefon is aiming at the middle ground with their 5" Ice Smart. Archos has one for every price range, but none with a perfect set of specs.  I'm half expecting Job-less Apple to show up with an Android-based Nano.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #446 of 479

Quote:
Despite it's flaws, for a first shot at an Android media player the D3 has become my reference for every other android player to come out since.  Cowon and Archos have been good at updating their players after purchase.  Creative updated their Touch-2s once so far. Samsung apparentlycan't find a ship to bring some of theirs to the U.S., and now android players are becoming a commodity with everyone else coming up with one.  Sony is showing one, no doubt to be overpriced like the X. Lattefon is aiming at the middle ground with their 5" Ice Smart. Archos has one for every price range, but none with a perfect set of specs.  I'm half expecting Job-less Apple to show up with an Android-based Nano.

Well, I have the Samsung Galaxy 4.0 wifi, and I don't like it. I mean, it works well, but it's still stuck on 2.2.2, and the last update was 3 months ago. The device has been out for over 6 months, and there's only been 1 firmware update. Maybe I should have grabbed the D3 while I was in Korea....

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #447 of 479
Quote:
Well, I have the Samsung Galaxy 4.0 wifi, and I don't like it. I mean, it works well, but it's still stuck on 2.2.2, and the last update was 3 months ago. The device has been out for over 6 months, and there's only been 1 firmware update. Maybe I should have grabbed the D3 while I was in Korea....

I've gotten that same impression of the Galaxy 4.0 and 5.0 from the few that have them. I've almost concluded that Samsung new what they had coming, and knew these were imperfect first generation attempts. They kept these out of U.S. markets so as not to have them soil their android PMP reputation before they got it up and running full speed. The new 3.6 incher looks to have a better processor and "might" have IceCreamSandwich on it when it ships.  Sony's got a second gen Android PMP coming as well, even though their first attempts have only shown up in the last month or so.  My advice to everyone?  Skip all first-gen devices.

Now I'm waiting for the 2nd gen Android PMP from Cowon.     Come on, Cowon...  You know you have one in the works!

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #449 of 479
[size=10pt]Any comments on sound quality for those of you who have tried the Samsung Galaxy S wifi? While I agree that the next gen Android PMPs should be more polished, I would not expect great deviations in sq from one generation to the next. I suspect whatever the Galaxy S sounds like now is pretty much what we should expect in the future in terms of sq.[/size]

[size=10pt]I have a rooted Samsung Infuse phone and have added the Voodoo Sound app which is said to include better audio drivers. For those of you who have the Galaxy S wifi, you might see Voodoo Sound is compatible and if it makes any difference on your device. On my phone, it seems to elevate the sq from “not so great” without it, to near-iPod Touch levels with it, but still short of the Cowon sound, imho. Pity, Id still like to get down to that elusive, perfect all-in-one device.[/size]

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #450 of 479
The Samsung 4.0 and 5.0 wifi PMPs are available now, and I'm pretty impressed. I have both.  The 4.0 has been reviewed with photos.  Still working on my review of the 5.0. Only a few minor differences and functionality is nearly the same.

Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 Review. (with photos)

Far more refined than Cowon's D3. Comes with the Google Market as well as Samsung's app store app. Mine have android 2.3.5 on them. The 4.0 has a better screen, but the 5.0's larger screen is my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back