Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
May 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #317 of 479

Quote:
ya know, d3 has the stability issue... j3 not... this means that d3 may freeze, where j3 would never freeze....

I considered the J3 for some time, but again, the D3 as a superior video playback device, plus its browser and Android support, made the decision between the two fairly easy. At least, it was easy considering the frequent firmware updates that were constantly improving on the D3's faults. Though admittedly I haven't been able to use it a great deal, I have yet to encounter any freezing.

I was all too aware of the D3's shortcomings from the beginning, and even with all the updates, I knew there was still a lot of room for improvement when I finally made my purchase. On the whole, I'm a satisfied customer.

May 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #319 of 479

Quote:
I would happily purchase a D3+ or D4(whatever they call it) because the potential in the D3 is so clear. Once the hardware limitations are reduced(RAM right?) I could see this player easily becoming the best android mp3 player and critically acclaimed.

I know this may not be the thread for the discussion, but sounds like what you are wanting would be the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 - soon to be hitting the market.

Along those lines, would be interested in in your thoughts 4D, on how the Galaxy Players will stack up against the D3 based on what we know of their specs and expected price point (assuming, for the sake of discussion, 8 GB Galaxy 4 would be $199 USD). Based on what I've heard and seen so far, looks like it may trump the D3 in all areas with possible exception of sound quality (which is the main reason I bought my D3) - not sure how Samsung's  "SoundAlive Sound Engine" will compare to Cowon's JetEffects 3.0 though.

May 1, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #321 of 479
I would hope very soon, but if Cowon is indeed working on a Gingerbread update, then I'd prefer they take their time this time around and make it a polished upgrade. I was playing with Gingerbread on my friend's Droid X and it is noticeably faster; it makes me curious to see what it would do for the D3.

May 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #322 of 479
The big jump in android performance is from 2.1 to 2.2...so even if they just did that, it would be a welcome addition.  Gingerbread wasn't that big of a jump on the X (or Incredible, I had both).

May 2, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #323 of 479

Quote:
I would hope very soon, but if Cowon is indeed working on a Gingerbread update, then I'd prefer they take their time this time around and make it a polished upgrade. I was playing with Gingerbread on my friend's Droid X and it is noticeably faster; it makes me curious to see what it would do for the D3.

I'd be willing to bet that phone has a better CPU than the D3.
wink.gif

May 2, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #324 of 479
Your spot on with your recommendation. I was actually looking at the Galaxy music player line far before I bought my D3. However when I saw price speculation for the 32gb Galaxy Wifi 5 I ran to the hills. I really want my player to do video and music well, and I think the d3 beats the galaxy in both respects(despite the 5 inch screen). I will eagerly await in depth reviews on the Wifi 5 and compare it to the android improvements if a gingerbread update is released on the d3.

May 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #328 of 479
A phone chip wouldn't have changed the appearance one bit. There is already a mic and speaker right where they need to to be act as a phone.

Still looking forward to an update this month.  Love to see if android 2.2 or later can help the D3.

4D

May 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #330 of 479
Samsung's earlier media players can act like a phone using bluetooth.  If the D3 could do the same then it would be a phone so long as your real phone was within bluetooth range. And of course with the right programs (Fring) and WIFI access it wouldn't need that capability.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back