Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Mar 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #182 of 479

Quote:
actually, d2 and j3 look beeter than s9..... judging by the numbers... maybe its about power, you know, how many mw has each one...

According to dfkt, who's had all three, the S9, J3, and I9 all sound identical, so the difference between the Wolfson chips can't be very big.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #185 of 479
The D3 sounds pretty good. Hard to tell how much better it is (if at all) than the J3 though.  My guess is they use the same audio chips. Specs looks the same. No gapless on the D3's stock music app yet though.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #188 of 479
The lack of support for the Android Market is really disappointing, and even if you hack your D3 to run an Android Market alternative, its hardware doesn't support a lot of apps, not even Angry Birds. :/  Otherwise, I would most definitely invest in the D3 as my first Cowon device.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #189 of 479
The need for the "official" android market becomes less nearly daily as other app stores pop up. Amazon.com now has one, and an app to access it that runs fine on the D3.  There are at least three others out there that anyone can install on the D3 without the need to hack it.

The D3's android "non-capabllities" are still a problem though, and I'm not sure that one will ever be fixed.  I'll point out though that there have been only two apps I've installed that haven't run well on my D3 when they've run fine on my Creative Touch-2 and/or archos 43/32/70. Angry Birds is great to have when it runs perfectly, but not a reason to reject the D3 completely.  Cowon's regular firmware updates have been chipping away at its initial problems.  I suspect they'll get them all resolved, including gapless playback, long before a new android model (from cowon) comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back