Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #136 of 479

Quote:
Sorry to ask this, but if it doesn't do video well, short battery life, slow specs, unstable UI, no gapless, "not as nice( fast is suppose) as Safari" Browser......what justifies the 400$ price tag?

Parts. If you think about it, hardware-wise, this has got to cost as much an iPod Touch to build, probably more. It sounds like you're saying it's worth it because of firmware/software stuff. I think all of those things can be fixed with updates, except the battery life. The D3 was simply released too early. If it was fast, responsive, and in general "ready", would it be worth it to you?

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #137 of 479
Cowon's ego, I think.  Their J3 is an amazing piece of tech, although it is a generation old relative to the new crop and android based PMPs. You get a 32gb device with a microSD slot capable of holding another 32gb, a high rez AMOLED screen, WiFi and Bluetooth, although no GPS or camera. BTW, the MSRP is $369 and that has been lowered as low as $330 lately. Firmwares have improved it some with each update.  The database update doesn't take as long as it did when brand new, and once done the UI is as good as that on any other android device I have. Music and Video codec support is outstanding, and you can output video to any HDTV with their accessory HDMI cable.

I don't think it is worth $330 at the moment, but if the next update brings gapless or android 2.2 (or higher) they might have something worth its price.

Quote:
Sorry to ask this, but ... what justifies the 400$ price tag?

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #140 of 479
For me personally, a device needs to be stable, especially the Internetbrowser (every PMP i touch breaks down) and MULTI TASKING capable (same reason).

And why should it be more expensive to build than the touch (because of DAC)?
The d3 is much slower and less responsive.
I, from a noob's point of view, think the hardware cpu must be worse or the firmware is extremely heavy.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #141 of 479
that is what i was saying that d3 has bbe
deadhorse.gif

and about that, d3 is just hte beggining between cowon and android.... i wait for what will come after.... 

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #142 of 479

Quote:
Their J3 is an amazing piece of tech, although it is a generation old relative to the new crop and android based PMPs.

I would disagree with that, but I guess it depends on your point of view. I'd compare the J3 to an iPod Classic instead of the Touch, because looking past the touch screen, it's much closer to the Classic in overall features.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #143 of 479

Yea, Point of View.   I seperate all the non-Wifi devices into their own category, with subcategories for touchscreen UI, other radios (Bluetooth and FM), and so on. Now that almost everyone is coming out with Android-based players, it appears those are this year's cream of the crop.  I compare the J3 to the Samsung M1 most closely. The M1 is a better video player (more codecs supported) while the J3 is a better Music player (with gapless).

4D

Quote:
I would disagree with that, but I guess it depends on your point of view. I'd compare the J3 to an iPod Classic instead of the Touch, because looking past the touch screen, it's much closer to the Classic in overall features.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #144 of 479
Sorry to keep pushin' it, but will you be testing Rockbox? You kinda seem to have ignored it....so I don't know if you just don't like it or have something against it or what. If I can get gapless playback somehow, I might actually get myself a D3 over the iPod.

Quote:

And why should it be more expensive to build than the touch (because of DAC)?
The d3 is much slower and less responsive.

I have no idea how much the D3 actually costs to build, but the speed and responsiveness of the end result has no relation to the cost of materials.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #145 of 479
I put Rockbox on my D3, played with it for a day, then uninstalled it.  Added no value over the stock app.  Now running WinAmp.  Loving full screen width album art.

Quote:
Sorry to keep pushin' it, but will you be testing Rockbox? You kinda seem to have ignored it....so I don't know if you just don't like it or have something against it or what. If I can get gapless playback somehow, I might actually get myself a D3 over the iPod.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #147 of 479
I do not have my D3 in front of me however I am almost certain that rockbox does indeed play gapless on the d3, it would be far superior to the stock rockbox when custom playing screens are created for the d3's resolution.  I also have poweramp installed but I do not remember if that is gapless as well, I can certainly take a look this weekend when I get home.  If you are interested in a D3 check out the for sale forum here as I have mine listed for 290 obo.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #149 of 479

Is Rockbox easy to install on the D3? Is there a chance of bricking it? If there is gapless I may try it.

Quote:
Rockbox is gapless on any other player, I would be very surprised if it wasn't on the D3 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back