Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Mar 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #121 of 479

Quote:
I have a theory about audiophile which is just that, a theory. It is based on our senses coming in varying degrees of sensitivity.  Not hard to grasp, as for vision any eye doctor knows some patients see 20-15 and can read with accuracy small text that a 20-20 person can't.  There also is research pointing out we humans come with varyious density of taste buds, which is why some people need hot spicy food to enjoy it (low density) and some become professional taste testers (high density).  The rest of us sit somewhere in the middle.   

So my audiophile theory goes like this:  Some people hear better than most. They simply have a better capability to detect and process sounds than most of us. Add that there are also better listeners.  This may come with age (just getting older), experience (listening to ALOT of music), or training, or all.  Age also works against us. The high end of what we can hear diminishes when we get older. Google "mosquito ringtone". 

When someone claims they hear things we can't hear, we dismiss their delusion as impossible simply because we "know" everyone hears the same. If we allow that there is a range of capability among listeners, then we have to allow that a few are more capable than most. Google "bell curve":

Just a theory.

But you wouldn't believe someone if they said they could see something that required 20/1 (or better) vision to see, and the detail claimed to be seen in fact is finer than the capability of the printer for the test chart, would you?  Because that's the audiophile equivalent for a lot of contested topics here and elsewhere...

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #122 of 479
I agree, BBBen.  I also don't believe in ghosts, deities, or Santa Claus.  My wife is an eye doctor though, and she has a rare patient or two that see 20-10.  She doesn't test for 20-1, but that doesn't mean there can't be one person in the state that might read that line on the chart.  The Human eye has limits, obviously.  Throw in varying light conditions to confuse the problem.  I'm not sure anyone bothers to measure how much better hearing needs to be to hear what you don't. Eye doctors at least have an agreed upon strategy.   I thought for a second an audio file could be created to test for capability.  I'd email it to you and you would tell me what you heard when it played. Threw the idea out when I realized I already knew how to cheat the test.

Damned PCs. 
wink.gif
   Of course we have to believe there is a difference to be heard before we'll concede that someone could possibly hear the difference.  How do I do that when I can't hear the difference?  Google "Chicken or egg?". Can I trust British scientists?  I've already watched too much Monty Python.  
cool.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #123 of 479
Yes, that's probably it, i also had this idea, when i came into this audiophile thing.

Sometimes, i do realise that i sometimes hear things my friends don't.
But i also noticed that, this ability (if u want to call it that way) to hear small nuances in/of sound is very much dependent on how u feel at the moment.

I personally am sometimes able to listen to radionews from an old radio at lowest level, from 3 m away.
But sometimes a don't even hear a person standing next to me.

I think that with getting into hi-fi, u finally realise how precious your ears are.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #125 of 479
So how's this new x.31 update? I've found only one YouTube video supposedly using it, and things looked much more fluid; it makes me wonder what it's really like, now.

And another random question: does the D3 have any good workaround that you know of for it's current lack of gapless playback (a la Rockbox's cuesheet support)? I'm sure it's doubtful, but would be a pleasant surprise if it did.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the iPod Touch 4G, but at the last minute I've been seriously reconsidering the D3.

Edit:
On second thought, I just remembered that "Rockbox for Android" registry thread. According to one member, Rockbox runs decently on the D3. Would it be possible for you to give this a more detailed look?

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #126 of 479

Quote:
So how's this new x.31 update? I've found only one YouTube video supposedly using it, and things looked much more fluid; it makes me wonder what it's really like, now.

And another random question: does the D3 have any good workaround that you know of for it's current lack of gapless playback (a la Rockbox's cuesheet support)? I'm sure it's doubtful, but would be a pleasant surprise if it did.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the iPod Touch 4G, but at the last minute I've been seriously reconsidering the D3.

Edit:
On second thought, I just remembered that "Rockbox for Android" registry thread. According to one member, Rockbox runs decently on the D3. Would it be possible for you to give this a more detailed look?

I am waiting for my D3 to arrive any day now ... I 2nd Trains' request about rockbox ... anyone know?

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #127 of 479
The x.31 update improved audio enough that I haven't heard the hiccups it used to do.  No gapless playback yet. The UI is only fluid after media database updating is done (for both internal and SD memory). That still happens every time the D3 is powered on and lasts a painful minute or two. Add that to the nearly 2 minute time it takes the D3 to boot up.  As you add apps, many will want to open and run themselves.  The more that open, the slower UI response will get. Keep an eye on that, and use task manager to shut them down periodically. I tried a multi-touch piano app and found it unusable.  AngryBirds still plays with missing text boxes.

The Touch iOS 4.3 update slowed it down a bit.  I've noticed a slight response delay that wasn't there before.  They added local media streaming (Home Sharing) over WiFi from itunes on your PC. Archos' devices do this, but the D3 doesn't (yet).

Quote:
So how's this new x.31 update? I've found only one YouTube video supposedly using it, and things looked much more fluid; it makes me wonder what it's really like, now.  I'm just about to pull the trigger on the iPod Touch 4G, but at the last minute I've been seriously reconsidering the D3.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #128 of 479
Apps just run by themselves everytime you turn the D3 on? Or just after you you install them?

All that start-up stuff sounds annoying, but tolerable. And I'm not overly concerned with apps because most of them I find useless or irritating to use anyway. Even things like Pandora Radio seem to have gotten terribly ad-infested. Of all the apps on the iPod, I'd mostly only use Safari, with a bit of Google Maps and possibly even the mail application thrown in. The browser on the D3 seems competent, if a bit slow, and I don't know how capable it is in the way of maps or mail.

Still, I'm really interested in what Rockbox does for the D3.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #129 of 479

Quote:
Apps just run by themselves everytime you turn the D3 on? Or just after you you install them?

All that start-up stuff sounds annoying, but tolerable. And I'm not overly concerned with apps because most of them I find useless or irritating to use anyway. Even things like Pandora Radio seem to have gotten terribly ad-infested. Of all the apps on the iPod, I'd mostly only use Safari, with a bit of Google Maps and possibly even the mail application thrown in. The browser on the D3 seems competent, if a bit slow, and I don't know how capable it is in the way of maps or mail.

Still, I'm really interested in what Rockbox does for the D3.

I'm with Train on that one ... apps kinda suck on anything android related at this point. Apple has the market on that one for now ... seamless integration. I have to say I used google maps on my iPhone last Friday after the earthquake in Sendai (which affected Tokyo and shut down the trains). I had to walk 3 hours and would not have made it without my iphone and google maps. 

Anyway, will be using the D3 for music and vids ... which is really what it's meant for right?

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #131 of 479
My experience with iOS apps have for the most part been quite good and incredibly useful. But then I may be biased as I teach business English at Apple Japan part-time and get some of the inside scoop on what's going on. Not secrets but just feedback etc. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #132 of 479
"Tolerable" imo, is not enough to justify the 400$ price tag.

They really should bring out something really special or lower the price.....

@skoog5600, i never knew Apples could rescue people....
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #133 of 479

Quote:

Anyway, will be using the D3 for music and vids ... which is really what it's meant for right?

Not really; the way I see it, it's an Android app/Wi-Fi gadget with excellent sound quality. The J3 is much better for media with its longer battery life and smoother playback. Ok, maybe not video because of the smaller screen, but overall I think it's still better suited for media.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #134 of 479
pretty true.... i have j3, and is great for music and videos... it plays linkin park - road to revolution great!.... 
d3 is an android device, and a very good music player, but not the best player, if used only for music, whithout wifi or android apps,  as it does not have the gapeless playback.... 

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #135 of 479
Sorry to ask this, but if it doesn't do video well, short battery life, slow specs, unstable UI, no gapless, "not as nice( fast is suppose) as Safari" Browser......what justifies the 400$ price tag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back