Cowon D2 vs Sony A818
Dec 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #61 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should try another NWZ-S616F unit? You have to consider that when everyone else around you says that their units sounds great chances are not that they're all morons.... It is possible
wink.gif
But very much unlikely.

I have listened to a good number of DAPs to say that the NWZ-S616F sounds good.

This is off the top of my head.

* iPod Nano 1st GEN (excellent sound not the best, but if on a scale i'd say 8/10)

Creative Zen Stone Plus (7/10)
iAudio X5 (7/10)
* Sony NWZ-S616F (9/10)

* Are mp3 player that I own myself

That's from my memory... but the point here is when I claim that I think S616F sounds great I do have a fairly decent point of reference.

I noticed, you said you are reviewing by memory, but that surprises me that you score the iaudio x5 lower then the 1st gen nano. I'm not sure how much worse or better the 2nd gen nano is compared to the zen stone, but I rank the zen stone a couple notches better then the ipod nano, in my opnion.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #62 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read your post again and saw you have the ER4P. I remember reading a very long review on Amazon a while back who said that ER4 owners need 'not apply' because of the bad synergy with the D2, ie; bright + cold, but that was just one opinion on the D2/E4 combination.

That's absolutely right
redface.gif

The ER4p and D2 are by no way a good synergy. Both of them are sooo bright,cold , lacking the warmth and bass.
Both the D2 and A818 have excellent SQ but I must say they are apples and oranges, i.d bright and dark. So it depends on your preference and most important, the IEM you own. I think a good synergy is D2+SE530 or A818+ER4p
cool.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #63 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed, you said you are reviewing by memory, but that surprises me that you score the iaudio x5 lower then the 1st gen nano. I'm not sure how much worse or better the 2nd gen nano is compared to the zen stone, but I rank the zen stone a couple notches better then the ipod nano, in my opnion.

I tried the Zen Stone Plus (the one with the OLED display). It's a nice little player but it's sound quality is clearly inferior to the Nano 1st gen. A/B them and see. It's sounds muddier and bass rolls off faster (that I actually tested via rmaa). Perhaps the first zen stone without the screen was better? I never listened to it. I know the orignal stone was based on the STMP3550 which is supposed to sound really good, I have no idea what the Stone Plus is based on but whatever it is it rolls off bass like the old ipod photos in RMAA test with 16ohm headphones....

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #64 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's absolutely right
redface.gif

The ER4p and D2 are by no way a good synergy. Both of them are sooo bright,cold , lacking the warmth and bass.
Both the D2 and A818 have excellent SQ but I must say they are apples and oranges, i.d bright and dark. So it depends on your preference and most important, the IEM you own. I think a good synergy is D2+SE530 or A818+ER4p
cool.gif

Now that's really silly. Nano sounds good with ER4P, NW-A1000 sounds good with ER4P, NWZ-S616F sounds really good with ER4P... Why would D2 be a bad combination? Potentially if it can't power provide the current to drive them to get some decent bass? Can someone test a D2 with 16OHM headphones to see if it's true? The only place that sells a D2 locally has a 15% restocking fee policy otherwise I would pick one up and test it. If someone in Toronto, Canada with a D2 email me at sigsegv0x0b at gmail dot com and we'll meet up and test your player via RMAA if you're to lazy to test yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #65 of 229
Man I was really thinking of getting a sony, but since i have the Atrios, maybe I should get the D2/Iaudio7? I have the meizu mini player and have to crank up the highs and kill the lows on many of the bass heavy/muddy audience recordings I listen to. On studio recordings it's fine, any suggestions?
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #66 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that's really silly. Nano sounds good with ER4P, NW-A1000 sounds good with ER4P, NWZ-S616F sounds really good with ER4P... Why would D2 be a bad combination? Potentially if it can't power provide the current to drive them to get some decent bass? Can someone test a D2 with 16OHM headphones to see if it's true? The only place that sells a D2 locally has a 15% restocking fee policy otherwise I would pick one up and test it. If someone in Toronto, Canada with a D2 email me at sigsegv0x0b at gmail dot com and we'll meet up and test your player via RMAA if you're to lazy to test yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

The power of D2 does not mean it will bring more bass for the ER4p. Although you can use the EQ of D2 to increase the bass, it has no really impact. When I increase the machbass from 4 to 6, my ER4p has some more bass but, consequently, the detail fades out
frown.gif
Just try it, and let your ears tell you what is happening. Sound is not math
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #67 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The power of D2 does not mean it will bring more bass for the ER4p. Although you can use the EQ of D2 to increase the bass, it has no really impact. When I increase the machbass from 4 to 6, my ER4p has some more bass but, consequently, the detail fades out
frown.gif
Just try it, and let your ears tell you what is happening. Sound is not math
redface.gif

Actually it is. Sound is very much math. Your taste is not math that I can agree to. But what you are saying sounds like the D2's AMP is not able to supply enough current? If I had a D2 available to me I would test it.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #68 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I was really thinking of getting a sony, but since i have the Atrios, maybe I should get the D2/Iaudio7? I have the meizu mini player and have to crank up the highs and kill the lows on many of the bass heavy/muddy audience recordings I listen to. On studio recordings it's fine, any suggestions?
confused.gif

Don't worry, the sony sounds good with "darker" iems, the sony has plenty of detail and treble energy. It just has more bass but the highs are awesome also. It sounds so full because of it's great amplification, it reminds me of a kenwood dap which is a really good thing.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #70 of 229
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that it over pronounces bass as a way to mask it's lack of detail (not an extreme lack of detail that is)

Or you could say the D2 and ipod nanos sound thin
biggrin.gif
Really, with my shure E500's with all the eq effects off I think my a818 has better detail than my G3 nano and my D2. Everything seems to have more depth and body and I can really hear little stuff better- people breathing , picks on strings ect. Now on the older HD walkmans, yes there was less detail than say an ipod, giga beat ect.

Having said all that I really do like cowon stuff it's top notch and always seems to last a long time. I am itching to try the 16 gig I7!! Of course this is just my HO.

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #71 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that it over pronounces bass as a way to mask it's lack of detail (not an extreme lack of detail that is)

See I have tested the NW-A1000 via RMAA and it has a totally flat frequency response while driving 16ohm headphones. I even provided links to the test earlier on in this thread.

To be specific, I know that NW-A1000 produces correct sound by a TEST.

If someone could provide an RMAA test of the D2 driving 16ohm headphones it would be nice so we have something to compare? Because right now you are accusing sony's excellent amplification with no backup except your own perception.

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #72 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Or you could say the D2 and ipod nanos sound thin
biggrin.gif
Really, with my shure E500's with all the eq effects off I think my a818 has better detail than my G3 nano and my D2. Everything seems to have more depth and body and I can really hear little stuff better- people breathing , picks on strings ect. Now on the older HD walkmans, yes there was less detail than say an ipod, giga beat ect.

Having said all that I really do like cowon stuff it's top notch and always seems to last a long time. I am itching to try the 16 gig I7!! Of course this is just my HO.

That is what I think also. I think many of these guys never heard a player with proper amplification and think that their bass rolled off players sound correct and detailed without realizing that they're simply loosing a part of the sound spectrum that the original recording has. Because they lack the lower end they are more concentrated on the details of the upper range of frequencies and when they hear a player with proper amplification they think it sounds 'dark'.

In retrospect when I switched from using ipod nano alone to using my pimeta with my 32ohm headphones (senns hd497 back then) I thought my pimeta made it sound dark. After I tested it via RMAA i could see my ipod rolls off the bass while through the pimeta it was all there. So according to frequency response the 'darker' sound is actually the CORRECT one.

It would be very interesting to see an RMAA test of the D2 driving 16ohm headphones. But looking around the net I have not found such.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #74 of 229
Dec 4, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #75 of 229
Haven't had a chance to audition the D2 due to availability issues here, but acquired the Sony NWZ S618F recently. This player uses the same hardware as the A810 series and has supposedly the same SQ. I've listened to players from Apple. Archos,and Creative and this player has Phenomenal SQ and Sound stage. So much so that I'm considering selling off my Archos 504 as well as my amped Ipod Classic and Ipod 5th Gen. If you get a chance defenitely give this player a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back