Cowon D2 vs Sony A818
Dec 1, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #31 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by wader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be curious to know which phones you use and audio format you are using.

That is, I sometimes hear a bit of what you're saying on my HD555s, and a little on my PX100s (i.e., mid-bass hump in the phones), but I don't hear that on my UM2s.

Do you use a SDHC card? Driving the card takes away from the battery. As does keeping the screen active much of the time.

If there was a huge problem with battery life, I just haven't read about it except in some isolated cases, honestly.

EDIT: I should add that file types and EQ/effects can also impact battery life somewhat. And, I don't know many who get exactly the same as rated hours, but 30 seems too short. My questions above are not challenges, just trying to figure out what's impacting the battery's useful charge, besides a potential hardware issue.

- wader

hey mate, how is you? haha. anyway, i do not use the sdhc card and use vbr mp3 of about 260-224 kbps. my headphones originally were the um2 but i did not like they hiss they produced with the d2 as well as the fatiguing highs of the d2 hurt with the um2 so i went "down" to the atrio m5 after trying several more expensive iems and settling on the atrio as what I find to be a more natural speakerish sound.

they are considered by some to be darker iems - and they certainly do produce prodigious amounts of bass but they are not fatiguing.

the d2 particularly gets confused when using bass heavy phones like atrio m5 or dt770 but the same phones with my ipod with the same songs to not lose their language. the d2 is i think a great concept though just not really put through so well. the size is massive for the storage and battery life is: too varied. in the cowon forums there is huge variance with d2 battery life noted.

it has the sort of jack of all trades approach to having fm etc and recorder as well as flash games and notepad but... none of them are excellent. the notes is almost impossible on such a small screen to get anything but a quick "crisps" reminder for grocery shopping and the fm radio has too much noise. the recorder is only usable on basic "I need to buy this" as again, too much noise and only uses wma.... very dissapointed.

the software that came with it did nothing well and needed to be pieced together with so many others in order to do simple tasks. i ended up using Itunes drag and drop with it. but unlike itunes, the firmware of um2 is not stable and crashes often causing me to have to reset the machine. in the end, i want a player that is usable as well as good sounding - for recording, i will go for quality dedicated atrac recorder - so i got an ipod touch. it is a little more expensive but does everything so much better than the d2.

especially trance. touch is not at all messy. i will say however that sometimes (no eq) the bass is overpowering. the d2 had a softer hitting bass but it was more bouncy and out of control.

cheers

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #32 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. It's exactly the same unit, identical hardware in every way. Only difference is the software. A few months after the A8xx series was launched, Sony decided to launch a new ZA8xx series complete with drag and drop. They ditched SonicStage and pissed off a few A8xx owners as it was clear they must have known well in advance they were droppping it, so if we'd known beforehand - a lot of us would have held off buying the A8xx and waited for the ZA8xx.

There was rumour of a firmware upgrade for the A8xx to make it drag and drop compatible, but it turned out to be just that. . . rumour.

As it happens, I've got used to SS and I like the ability to make on-the-fly playlists, and above all. . . gapless. I couldn't live without it. So I didn't bother to get the ZA8xx because of the features I'd have lost.

Actually the term A810 is the term to describe the A815, A816, A818. The A800 series is the unit with the older software.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #33 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the term A810 is the term to describe the A815, A816, A818. The A800 series is the unit with the older software.

Yep. Should have written NWZA81x!!! The 81x are all from the ZA series anyway, not the A series. I think the 'Z' signifies all the new players without SS/Atrac.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #34 of 229
For those who own the SONY A818, what format are you converting your music in (MP3, WMA, AAC ect...)

Thanks

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #37 of 229
I guess I can answer my own question... bought the Sony today and don't think it sounds better than the Samsung K3. However, I am returning the K3 because the Sony works better ergonomically in my car where it will be used 97.5% of the time. The K3 sounds less compressed in my hifi even while playing 128kps compared to Sony playing 1411kps (wav). If I need a MP3 player for the home, I'd go with the Samsung. It has a built in tuner to boot.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #38 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who own the SONY A818, what format are you converting your music in (MP3, WMA, AAC ect...)

Thanks

MP3, VBR 225Kkbps.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #39 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I can answer my own question... bought the Sony today and don't think it sounds better than the Samsung K3. However, I am returning the K3 because the Sony works better ergonomically in my car where it will be used 97.5% of the time. The K3 sounds less compressed in my hifi even while playing 128kps compared to Sony playing 1411kps (wav). If I need a MP3 player for the home, I'd go with the Samsung. It has a built in tuner to boot.

I have a YP-U2 which is decent. But I wouldn't consider the K3 because of the touch buttons. I think buttons work much better on a music player. Which is the one big plus the Sony has.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #40 of 229
This Sony thing does not support Ogg or Flac??!!!!
confused.gif

It's worth about $180-200$ ??

regards

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #41 of 229
If the Sony A818 sounds anything at all like the Sony NWZ-S616F then I wouldn't buy it...I had the Sony NWZ-S616F for about a week and couldn't even listen to it..it was that bad...I figured I'd buy one after hearing that Sony had good sound quality.....although I liked everything else about it...size, FM reception, gui, video quality, drag and drop, build quality all were good...but the sound was so bad that I even tried all the settings and nothing would help..

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #42 of 229
RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison

Can someone test a D2 loaded with 16ohm and post?

Sony does cheat a little... But overall it does sound excellent.

I have an older NW-A1000 that tests better in frequency response. It's totaly flat with no bass rolloff even on 16ohm headphones. The NWZ-S616F has an excellent amp but sony cheats with the frequency response by boosting the bass and highs by 0.5db... which is not a huge deal but is audible.

Over the NWZ-S616F sounds really good however. The best IMHO is the older NW-A1000.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #43 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Sony A818 sounds anything at all like the Sony NWZ-S616F then I wouldn't buy it...I had the Sony NWZ-S616F for about a week and couldn't even listen to it..it was that bad...I figured I'd buy one after hearing that Sony had good sound quality.....although I liked everything else about it...size, FM reception, gui, video quality, drag and drop, build quality all were good...but the sound was so bad that I even tried all the settings and nothing would help..

What earphones were you using?

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #44 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This Sony thing does not support Ogg or Flac??!!!!
confused.gif

It's worth about $180-200$ ??

regards

- i don't see the importance of FLAC for flash-based players (that is, until 30Gb+ becomes the norm).

also, i'd probably only consider lossless if i were using a line out of a DAP connected to an amp. otherwise, the sacrifice of storage space is not worth it.

- vorbis would be nice. is it still a battery sucker?

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #45 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hmmm...Cowon_1 prefers the D2.

did you consider that something was wrong with your S616 or maybe your headphones? it's just strange that hundreds of people laud the Sony's SQ while you found it horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back