couldnt decide on a new phone last time round sooo...
Dec 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
im looking for a new smart phone to replace my old and dying 1st gen iphone

im looking at phones just coming out and have isolated a few but am not certain if im missing any near future releases

sony xperia x10 [android 1.6, 65k 4in screen, 1ghz]
HTC HD2 [win mo 6.5, 16m 4.3in screen, 1ghz]
HTC (bravo)[android 2.0, 16m AMOLED 3.7in screen 1ghz]
Google nexus one [android 2.1 16m AMOLED 3.7in, 1ghz]

ideally id love the HTC HD2 but not with usless win mo 6.5

ive handled it and it is amazing looking, just win mo is the bad bit

any i may be forgetting?

ideally id like a 4in screen, 3.7 is ok..i guess,. i can hold off till feb i guess if something amazing is about to come out

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 57
I'd hold off a few weeks for the Google phone. I'm going to buy one just for the hell of it; $99 is too good to pass up.

If you can hold off for about six months, a new iPhone is coming. I think the 3GS is the last iteration of this generation. Odds are that Apple has known about Google's phone for some time now, so the next gen iPhone will likely be a stunner. Don't count Apple out.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd hold off a few weeks for the Google phone. I'm going to buy one just for the hell of it; $99 is too good to pass up.

If you can hold off for about six months, a new iPhone is coming. I think the 3GS is the last iteration of this generation. Odds are that Apple has known about Google's phone for some time now, so the next gen iPhone will likely be a stunner. Don't count Apple out.

Next generation iPhone is what I am waiting for the 3g has been nice but i want more.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

where did you read that it was only $99?(with contract i'm guessing)

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 57
my advice, cut the graphical crap, get a phone built like a bloody tank, nokia E72 all the way, 5MP camara, digital compass, tons of symbian S60 apps, full qwerty keyboard, and you wont find yourself without a phone the next day if you forget to charge it the night before (my E71 does 5 days on standby)

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you read that it was only $99?(with contract i'm guessing)

From memory it's 199 with a rebate. I wasn't paying too much attention because I'm in Australia and am still swearing I can't get it for that awesome price [even 199 is awesome].
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my advice, cut the graphical crap, get a phone built like a bloody tank, nokia E72 all the way, 5MP camara, digital compass, tons of symbian S60 apps, full qwerty keyboard, and you wont find yourself without a phone the next day if you forget to charge it the night before (my E71 does 5 days on standby)

I loved my E71. Fantastic phone. Great for people who want a phone and just change the wallpaper/theme.

Just to elaborate on my previous post:
WinMo = Great fun AND lots of times where you want to throw the phone out the window in frustration.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 57
i cant wait 6 months, im struggling to put it off as it is

i want a phone that is nice to look at, thats why i wanted the HD2 but yeah winmo is pretty much dead, want an android

i have my doubts about the x10, running on android 1.6

theres not one good enough, and the google phone being that cheap, must be a catch

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 57
I've used the HD2, its an amazing phone with a completely transformed interface to the old WinMo 6. It really is something to behold and its sooooo quick and slick, the screen is absolutely gorgeous, really really nice.
And I'm n M$ fanboi, I'm an android man with my rooted cyanogen rom G1 and an advocate of all things android but the HD2 is a serious bit of kit

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used the HD2, its an amazing phone with a completely transformed interface to the old WinMo 6. It really is something to behold and its sooooo quick and slick, the screen is absolutely gorgeous, really really nice.
And I'm n M$ fanboi, I'm an android man with my rooted cyanogen rom G1 and an advocate of all things android but the HD2 is a serious bit of kit

thats what i thought

why oh why couldnt they have made it android? id have snapped it up when it came out! :/ its borderless design really is eye catching!

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 57
i remember when i had my HTC touch, i recived a text messege and suddendly the phone froze for like 30 seconds, i actually lost my temper and punched the phone :p

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

I'd hold off a few weeks for the Google phone.

Seconded. I'm planning on buying one provided that I can get it unlocked for under $200. AT&T forces data plans on all the phones that I would even consider as a replacement for my HTC Wizard, and that's $720 too much for something that's free via WiFi. Sorry AT&T, I'm not paying $1k for a phone.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 57
My main issue with WinMo phones is the 65K color limit. Color banding is very noticeable, and images (particularly in the web browser) look horrid. Otherwise, the HD2 would be the phone I'd get. I'm also heading toward the Nexus boat, even though pricing is still far from concrete. (I still have a hard time believing it'll be $200 off-contract) And no-thanks to early adoption, I'm not spending my money to do QC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back