Could you guys recommend me a pair of headphones?
Jun 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Buchk

New Head-Fier
I was going to buy a pair of Beat Pros, but a bunch of guys told me on GameFAQS to come hear, and just looking, it seems I shouldn't go anywhere near them.  I'm willing to pay like 300 bucks, and I listen to a lot of ska, pop-punk, punk, and acoustic, with some screamo, emo, country, and rap mixed in.  A little of everything >_< 

For what I'm willing to pay and the kind of music I listen to, what headphones should I get?  I should mention that I do kinda care about looks.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I was going to buy a pair of Beat Pros, but a bunch of guys told me on GameFAQS to come hear, and just looking, it seems I shouldn't go anywhere near them.  I'm willing to pay like 300 bucks, and I listen to a lot of ska, pop-punk, punk, and acoustic, with some screamo, emo, country, and rap mixed in.  A little of everything >_< 

For what I'm willing to pay and the kind of music I listen to, what headphones should I get?  I should mention that I do kinda care about looks.

Heya,

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD2WrfZiy2k

Very best,

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 8
So for the genre of music I'd listen to, you'd go for the M50's? Even though I'm willing to spend double what they're listed for on Amazon?  I'm kind of wary buying for 150 if I can get even high quality for 300ish from a different brand.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
So for the genre of music I'd listen to, you'd go for the M50's? Even though I'm willing to spend double what they're listed for on Amazon?  I'm kind of wary buying for 150 if I can get even high quality for 300ish from a different brand.

Heya,

You're willing to spend $300. But a single pair of $300 headphones likely won't be something you'll listen to without an amplifier. You didn't even mention the source of your audio, so perhaps you need a DAC as well. It's not as simple as spending more and gaining more. A $150 pair of headphones may do exactly, or more, than a $300 pair of headphones. That's Beats vs. M50's. Now if you really want to spend some money, by all means, step it up. Get a portable amp and some beasty BeyerDyanmic DT770 Pro 80's and there's your $300 for something superior. Or start looking into the Search feature for reviews on headphones that are similar to Beats if that's what you're after (style, bass, etc). But maybe you would be happy with the M50's for half the price and get basically the same thing. It's your ears.

Very best,

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 8
If you're new to this whole 'audiophilia' thing, I would definitely *not* recommend shelling out a gazillion bucks for a pair of phones or phone/dac/amp combo.

I *do* recommend getting a pair of decent phones in the sub $200 range (usually no amp needed, but could benefit from one) and just use them. A lot. Get a feel for what hi-fi is. Try and listen to all the nitty-gritty details over the full frequency spectrum. Listen to that booming bass, the vocals, the highs. Listen to their feel and texture. Are the mids being sucked into the bass? Are those highs piercing or just non-existent? *Feel* the music.

When you've done this for, say, six months and you explored your phones on all your preferred music (and hopefully some of your non-preferred music), then, and only then, you might understand what exactly it is you want in a phone. 
Now it is time to get back to the stores. Listen to everything you can get your hands on, from that crappy pair of $50 'phones (are they *really* that crappy?) to the absolute high-end of a Sennheiser HD800 or Audeze LCD-2. You now have the experience and the knowledge to make an informed decision of what you *really* like.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Try reading up on Ultrasone. They have some headphones that look slick and are reputed to have strong, clean bass--at under $200 too.
Models I've heard of are: HFI 580 (aka DJ1), HFI 780.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back