Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Dec 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,248 of 5,310
Quote:
Well for some reason getting customs has been a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE)pita for me personally.  First there was Fisher (inearz), then Minerva.  Both tried and failed to varying degrees (I won't bore you with the details, if your that bored you can look up the relevant threads if you like!).  For some reason my right ear (and anyone who knows me should know that that shouldn't be a surprise!) has been the cause of massive problems for me.  Phil and Cosmic Ears have gone above and beyond for me.  Whilst I still do not have a set of customs progress is slowly but surely being made.  I just wanted to give a big thanks in this thread.  Other companies could also take a leaf out of Cosmic Ears attitude towards the email address as well!

Here's wishing a merry christmas and a prosperous new year to everyone at Cosmic Ears.  Let's hope they have a really successful 2013 :)

Cheers.

Oh, no! Not again. :frowning2:
Hope your refit will come back fitting perfectly.

Quote:
Won't be bothered at all. There is no progress without risk.
cool.gif

I can't wait to hear your impressions! I agree with everyone, Phil has awesome customer service. I emailed him a few days ago asking about buying an impression kit and I received replies from Phil very quickly.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #1,249 of 5,310
Quote:
Oh, no! Not again. :frowning2:
Hope your refit will come back fitting perfectly.

I can't wait to hear your impressions! I agree with everyone, Phil has awesome customer service. I emailed him a few days ago asking about buying an impression kit and I received replies from Phil very quickly.

Possible to buy them beforehand? There's no place in my hometown where I can make my ear impressions and I'd like Phil to tell me what configuration is the biggest one I can put into my ear if my ears is, generally, big enough to get CIEMs.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,250 of 5,310
You can't really get a good sense of how CIEMs will fit in your ears or what your ears will accommodate before the impressions, since CIEM manufacturers are used to eyeballing the impressions and comparing them to the relative sizes of IEMs. Eyeballing that measurement against an ear is a completely different skill.

Right now I'm waiting for an appt with an audiologist (and hoping it will be covered as my Chanukkah present--gotta love asking the doctor in the family for an audiologist's visit for the holidays!). I am dying to put in an order for some HY3s, or possibly Flex-equivalent with recessed sockets.

Depending on how impatient you are and what your budget is, a set of do-it-yourself impressions and a CE Pure doesn't cost much more than an especially expensive audiologist's appt. You could try it and see how the Pures fit. If they're a good custom fit, CE can use the same impressions for an HY3 or BA4. DIYs are always risky, but you've got a potential reward of two sets of CIEMs and no appt...

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,251 of 5,310
I'm not in a hurry especially as I have lots of other expenses at the moment. I'm on a kind of tight budget so I'm only in for a single or twin BA. Speaking of ear impressions, in my country they can be done for let's say as low as 6 pounds (just not in my city) so it's even cheaper then CE DIY kit. DIY kit may be risky, and so may be an audiologist appointment as it's generally known that they also can screw things up. :wink:

My only fear is that my ear canal might be too shallow or too narrow for any custom. I have no experience in CIEMs.

[edit] I don't want Phil to look at my ear and say whether it's okey for me to have BA4, HY3 and so on. But I guess that photos of ear impression may not suffice either.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,252 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm not in a hurry especially as I have lots of other expenses at the moment. I'm on a kind of tight budget so I'm only in for a single or twin BA. Speaking of ear impressions, in my country they can be done for let's say as low as 6 pounds (just not in my city) so it's even cheaper then CE DIY kit. DIY kit may be risky, and so may be an audiologist appointment as it's generally known that they also can screw things up. :wink:

My only fear is that my ear canal might be too shallow or too narrow for any custom. I have no experience in CIEMs.

[edit] I don't want Phil to look at my ear and say whether it's okey for me to have BA4, HY3 and so on. But I guess that photos of ear impression may not suffice either.

Hey, My ears are very shallow too. I'm a small person. Phil had some trouble fitting the dynamic driver but he managed to do it. The HY3 will be no option for me but he said that a 4 BA can be done. So don't worry. Aparantly BA drivers are extremely small.

On another note. I just sold my K550's :D that's another €185 to add for a new pair of Phil's customs. :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #1,255 of 5,310
Quote:
Possible to buy them beforehand? There's no place in my hometown where I can make my ear impressions and I'd like Phil to tell me what configuration is the biggest one I can put into my ear if my ears is, generally, big enough to get CIEMs.

Phil says that normally they wouldn't sell impression kits without an order because they really don't make money off of it but I told Phil that I intend to get a set of Cosmic CIEMS and that I wanted to get the impression kit in advance so I have impressions ready when orders are available again. Phil says it'll be 40 euros for the kit. I ended up just waiting as the kit is 15 euros with an order.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,256 of 5,310
Hi

Frequency charts posted on the cosmic ears facebook page for those who like that sort of thing!

Cheers

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #1,257 of 5,310
Hi all. Just a quick update on the HYTF10. I have had a week with them now and regretfully it hasn't been to my taste. The bass, while not overwhelming the mids and the trebles, has been too prominent for me. If your tastes are entirely EDM, hip-hop, dubstep and other genres of music with predominantly bass signatures, then perhaps they would be fine, but for me, I was getting too much bass in rock music and also in music that was vocal prevalent..

I experimented with putting a low shelf filter on the sound and that didn't work, and the only way I could get the bass to acceptable levels for me, was to reduce the gain on the entire bass spectrum by between -3 and -5dB, which in terms of perceived bass levels to the listener, is a significant reduction.

So, I have returned them to Phil again, who is going to have another go by the looks of things and is currently pondering the addition of a different filter and an additional BA in place of the dynamic driver. Whether he tries this, remains to be seen, but I shall update you all when I have something to tell you. Even if the end result is just my TF10's in custom shells, then nothing has been lost and some comfort will have been gained :cool:

I would like to raise my glass again to Phil though, as a man clearly on a mission, and I can only admire his dedication and perseverance :beerchug:

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #1,259 of 5,310
Quote:
Hi all. Just a quick update on the HYTF10. I have had a week with them now and regretfully it hasn't been to my taste. The bass, while not overwhelming the mids and the trebles, has been too prominent for me. If your tastes are entirely EDM, hip-hop, dubstep and other genres of music with predominantly bass signatures, then perhaps they would be fine, but for me, I was getting too much bass in rock music and also in music that was vocal prevalent..
I experimented with putting a low shelf filter on the sound and that didn't work, and the only way I could get the bass to acceptable levels for me, was to reduce the gain on the entire bass spectrum by between -3 and -5dB, which in terms of perceived bass levels to the listener, is a significant reduction.
So, I have returned them to Phil again, who is going to have another go by the looks of things and is currently pondering the addition of a different filter and an additional BA in place of the dynamic driver. Whether he tries this, remains to be seen, but I shall update you all when I have something to tell you. Even if the end result is just my TF10's in custom shells, then nothing has been lost and some comfort will have been gained
cool.gif

I would like to raise my glass again to Phil though, as a man clearly on a mission, and I can only admire his dedication and perseverance
beerchug.gif

An when I read this I jumped to the edge of my chair and was about to PM you asking: "Can I buy them? Can I buy them? Can I buy them from you and reshell them? Can I buy them?" :D I might be a ridiculous basshead, and a TF10 with overwhelming bass!! Sound exactly like my cup of tea :)

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #1,260 of 5,310
An when I read this I jumped to the edge of my chair and was about to PM you asking: "Can I buy them? Can I buy them? Can I buy them from you and reshell them? Can I buy them?" :D I might be a ridiculous basshead, and a TF10 with overwhelming bass!! Sound exactly like my cup of tea :)
Haha, I had the exact opposite reaction, my taste is sort of like phlasbios's. I look for clarity in vocals. I was actually very close to purchasing 4.Ai this weekend to reshell but that fell through so back to waiting for BA4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back