Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 13, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #917 of 5,310
New BA4 update says it will be neutral with tight low ends, sounds like my cup of tea! So excited! :)

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #918 of 5,310
Good to see some further information published since yesterday. Very interesting. For me, I will be interested to hear how well it copes with low/sub-bass, as this is an area where balanced armatures sometimes do not fare very well.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #920 of 5,310
Quote:

Thanks very much for that explanation, that makes perfect sense. I had only been thinking of the impedance of the IEM and how hard or otherwise it would be to drive. All my IEM's with the exception of the TF10 are dynamics, and most have a low impedance and are driven well by anything they are connected to. I will try the HY3 through my Fiio E7 connected to the C3 and see what effect that has.

I live and learn :) Thanks Project86.

Very Interesting phlashbios. Please post your findings on how the HY3 performs through a Fiio E7 and C3!

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #921 of 5,310
Quote:
Very Interesting phlashbios. Please post your findings on how the HY3 performs through a Fiio E7 and C3!

Much better is the answer. It's clearly a mismatch between the HY3 and the C3 when attached directly. Even with the E7, It's still not as nice as an unamped Cowon C2 with the HY3 though.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #924 of 5,310
I asked Phil about cable status yesterday and got the reply that a statement will be released "this week".  He also said that all models are available with standard (ie non premium/westone style) cable.  Guess you'll have to email to enquire!

Cheers

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #926 of 5,310
Quote:
I asked Phil about cable status yesterday and got the reply that a statement will be released "this week".  He also said that all models are available with standard (ie non premium/westone style) cable.  Guess you'll have to email to enquire!

Cheers

That's what confused me, half of them appear to use little more than standard iphone cables, that can be had just about anywhere on the web.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #927 of 5,310
I've been patiently waiting for quite some time now that the HY3 model becomes available again... 
popcorn.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #928 of 5,310
Out of idle interest, I just tried my 'Dark Lord' aftermarket cable that I usually use with my TF10's, with the HY3. Works very well indeed. Increases the bass presence without killing anything else, and retains the smooth presentation of the HY3 at the same time. Recesses the mids very slightly, lifts the trebles slightly. No overkill in any area though. Shows how much a cable change can alter the presentation of an IEM.

Also tried it with my 'White Angel' TF10 cable and it is too "trebley" for me, just the same as it is with the TF10's.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #929 of 5,310
Quote:
Out of idle interest, I just tried my 'Dark Lord' aftermarket cable that I usually use with my TF10's, with the HY3. Works very well indeed. Increases the bass presence without killing anything else, and retains the smooth presentation of the HY3 at the same time. Recesses the mids very slightly, lifts the trebles slightly. No overkill in any area though. Shows how much a cable change can alter the presentation of an IEM.

Also tried it with my 'White Angel' TF10 cable and it is too "trebley" for me, just the same as it is with the TF10's.

Nice cable findings! Do you know if there any cable like those that will improve mids and bass?

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #930 of 5,310
Quote:

Nice cable findings! Do you know if there any cable like those that will improve mids and bass?

There quite probably are, but I don't know which ones they are, I am sure someone here with more experience than me of aftermarket cables will be able to advise.

EDIT: Having just checked e-bay, there are a wealth of aftermarket "Westone" style cables that will fit Custom Ears IEM's. Many of them have descriptions that describe how the sound presentation is altered by using them, so I reckon you could find something to suit. They range from £20-£300 depending on what exactly you are looking for. My 'Dark Lord' cable is the cheap end of the market, I have no experience of high end cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back