Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #422 of 5,310
Quote:

Which shell size did you choose? I'm very interested in your future impressions about how the HY3 compare to the GR07...

Full size. That is the only option for the HY3. They keep the price down by limiting configuration options to none at all with that model :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #423 of 5,310
Quote:
what is the advantage of full sized custom shells over medium sized? wouldn't people want smaller form factor for the reduced weight?
i am very bothered by my tf-10's big shell and its over the ear style fit...
wish there were more non-over-ear type cables... on customs...

I don't think the TF10's have a big shell, they are just a really odd shape for over-ears IEM's and stick out of your ears like a couple of bolts. I do not own another set of IEM's that are quite as peculiar a fit as the TF10's are, any other IEM's I have either sit inside the hollow of the ear like the GR07's, or don't protrude like the Frankenstein neck bolts that the TF10's are :-D

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #424 of 5,310
Quote:

Full size. That is the only option for the HY3. They keep the price down by limiting configuration options to none at all with that model :)

Yes, you're right! The HY3 is just available in full size body shell and it's on the Flex model that you can chosse the size...

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #426 of 5,310
What I am hoping is that the dynamic driver for the bass, will give the depth and slam that my TF10's lack, but the GR07's have, and that the balanced armatures provide similar trebles and mids that the TF10's have.

In short, the HY3 sounded to me like a combination of the TF10 and GR07, and if they turn out to be that, for a mere £200 for CIEM's, then I shall be a very happy bunny :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #427 of 5,310
Quote:

I don't think the TF10's have a big shell, they are just a really odd shape for over-ears IEM's and stick out of your ears like a couple of bolts. I do not own another set of IEM's that are quite as peculiar a fit as the TF10's are, any other IEM's I have either sit inside the hollow of the ear like the GR07's, or don't protrude like the Frankenstein neck bolts that the TF10's are :-D

yeah i meant it that way, i am planning to buy something I can plug in my ears while I sleep and listening to some lullaby or something lol
i like the idea of bottom exit cable from shell... i just wish it would be detachable as well...
so back to my original question... what is the advantage of full sized shell over medium shell? better isolation?

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #428 of 5,310
Quote:
What I am hoping is that the dynamic driver for the bass, will give the depth and slam that my TF10's lack, but the GR07's have, and that the balanced armatures provide similar trebles and mids that the TF10's have.

In short, the HY3 sounded to me like a combination of the TF10 and GR07, and if they turn out to be that, for a mere £200 for CIEM's, then I shall be a very happy bunny :)

I paid over 400usd for shure530...
and like 300usd for tf-10
this 3 driver custom under 400usd is very tempting... although I do want those 1000+usd customs with so many drivers too ... argh...

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #429 of 5,310
Quote:
if you choose flex option u can get 3 driver config in a medium shell... not sure if prices are different if you go that route though

I did look at various Flex options, but the prices start to scale rapidly (understandably) when you start customising.

One of the chief attractions for me, was the price of the HY3, for what you get for your money. OK, so you have to have it in purple, but it's a nice purple, and the HY3 doesn't have the recessed sockets for the detachable cables, but for me, I wouldn't have ordered recessed sockets anyway, as I much prefer to have a wider choice of aftermarket cables available, without having to worry whether the little plugs on the end of the headphone cables are going to fit into the sockets.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #430 of 5,310
Quote:

I did look at various Flex options, but the prices start to scale rapidly (understandably) when you start customising.

One of the chief attractions for me, was the price of the HY3, for what you get for your money. OK, so you have to have it in purple, but it's a nice purple, and the HY3 doesn't have the recessed sockets for the detachable cables, but for me, I wouldn't have ordered recessed sockets anyway, as I much prefer to have a wider choice of aftermarket cables available, without having to worry whether the little plugs on the end of the headphone cables are going to fit into the sockets.

understandable, i just did a config for medium shell , triple hybrid, premium cable exit top , extra premium white cable , recessed socket ( trying to reduce all the size/weight)
total came out as 381.45 usd... very tempting ... better value than comparable universal IEM....

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #431 of 5,310
Quote:
yeah i meant it that way, i am planning to buy something I can plug in my ears while I sleep and listening to some lullaby or something lol
i like the idea of bottom exit cable from shell... i just wish it would be detachable as well...
so back to my original question... what is the advantage of full sized shell over medium shell? better isolation?

Yes, I think the general view is that full-sized gives better isolation. It needs to be put into perspective though, if you look at the hollow of your ear, unless you have ears like Dumbo, even a fullsized CIEM is hardly what you would call big and obtrusive and with it lying in the hollow of your ear and therefore flat, you can wear hats down over your ears (unlike the TF10) and sleep with them in I suspect. 

Personally, I would regard sleeping with any sort of IEM's in, on a regular basis, as not good for your ear health. Given that you will be lying often for hours in one position, and your ears sweating while you sleep, it can't be good for no air to be getting to your ear canals.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #432 of 5,310
Quote:

this 3 driver custom under 400usd is very tempting... although I do want those 1000+usd customs with so many drivers too ... argh...

well well well, jh audio sale, what a coincidence
beyersmile.png

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #433 of 5,310
Quote:
understandable, i just did a config for medium shell , triple hybrid, premium cable exit top , extra premium white cable , recessed socket ( trying to reduce all the size/weight)
total came out as 381.45 usd... very tempting ... better value than comparable universal IEM....

Now you see for me, once you are getting into that money, it's into Heir Audio 4Ai territory. Granted the 4Ai isn't a custom, so the Cosmic Ears one is still amazing value for money, but if I was getting the length of $400, I would start looking around at other options again.

One of the major attractions of Cosmic Ears, is their extremely good value for money, if you can live with one of their "off-the-shelf" configurations.

EDIT: I would actually like a pair of Heir Audio 4Ai's as well, but the import duties into the UK make them look expensive. Additional customs charges for the 4Ai's into the UK, add approx $112 to their price, whereas with Cosmic Ears being based in Sweden and part of the European Union, the HY3 attracts no import duties. I presume you guys in the USA have to pay import taxes to bring in items from EU countries ? Does it vary by state or is it a standard federal tax ?

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #435 of 5,310
Quote:
I paid over 400usd for shure530...
and like 300usd for tf-10

I have done relatively well. The GR07 Mk.II can be purchased in the UK from Amazon for £99 delivered which is cheaper than you can import them from Hong Kong on ebay.

My TF10's also cost me £99 from another head-fi'er here, so no complaints there either. Without doubt, the GR07 and TF10 are my favourite IEM's and are leagues in front of my other IEM's so far. 

I am still on that journey that many here are on though - to find the ultimate IEM that do everything you want without breaking the bank and I am hoping that the HY3's will do just that. I'm not going to set my expectations too high at this stage however, and will just wait and see. The proof of the pudding will be in the hearing. Apologies for the oxymoron, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back