Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #31 of 5,310
Quote:
This is a response from cosmic ears regarding the sound signature.
Hi
Thank you for your kind comments.
In summary I would class the following sound signatures:
Pure with dynamic driver: Bassy (lows boosted, mids and treble recessed)
HY3 or Flex with Triple Hybrid: Balanced (treble and bass boosted, mids recessed)
We have a priority task to add the sound signatures on the website for all our models as this seems to be a common request.
The limited edition red is not currently available, we are however going to introduce a similar limited edition red model this month, we may get a post up this week to show the red model as we will also have a similar limited edition blue model. I will try and remember to let you know when we put the post up.
I hope this answers your questions.
Regards
Phil

I would like to have a flat sound signature.  Maybe have blue as stock color, rather than purple. 

Comparison to similarly-priced universals would be highly appreciated.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #33 of 5,310
I thought I had a pretty good idea what was going on in my own country, but this comes as a big surprise to me. I have to try this ASAP. I'm glad they don't use the TWFK also. Not a big fan as well...
One of the most interesting things to happen to the in-ear market. Cross my fingers it will sound good too.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #34 of 5,310
Quote:
I thought I had a pretty good idea what was going on in my own country, but this comes as a big surprise to me. I have to try this ASAP. I'm glad they don't use the TWFK also. Not a big fan as well...
One of the most interesting things to happen to the in-ear market. Cross my fingers it will sound go too.

post review soon.
waiting for more review before purchasing this =D

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #35 of 5,310
Quote:
Amazing prices. I wonder if they will do a Re-shelling service like Fisher and UM. And seeing how they are experienced with Hybrid designs, maybe I can get my CIEM re-shelled with a Dynamic driver from them 
biggrin.gif
 but I won't be sad if they don't do that service.. too sad...

So far no plans for reshelling service that I'm aware of. I know there are a lot of variables involved and I can see why they might want to avoid that, though if enough people ask maybe they would change their mind.

Honestly I don't know if there is enough profit in it compared to the amount of work involved. But obviously Fisher is able to do it at a low price so maybe it is possible. 

Quote:
To project86,

Hi, thanks for posting such interesting article, I will wait for your reviews on all of them. The cost is really low.

Somethings I need to know

# where do they made this ciem ? ( example china / or made in Sweden )
# Do update the article a little regarding with protective case
it very different from the others ciem who offer protective shock/crash proof case.
 # I want to know is the protective case interior good for the ciem ( example, does it take shock / crash ? )

thanks

1) I believe they have their own lab there in Sweden. 
2) I'll let you know about the case when I receive it, including some pictures.

Quote:

I would like to have a flat sound signature.  Maybe have blue as stock color, rather than purple. 

Comparison to similarly-priced universals would be highly appreciated.

I did mention to them recently that I thought blue was a better "default" color. The purple actually looks surprisingly good, but still - I suspect blue is more universally liked. We'll see if they decide to make that change. 

Quote:
interesting
not sure their hybrid is
single dynamic with dual ba or twin ba

The hybrid should be a dual BA - as in separate mid and high drivers. I think. Now I'm wondering if they actually told me that or if I just inferred it. I'll double check.

Quote:
One of the most interesting things to happen to the in-ear market. Cross my fingers it will sound good too.

Phil from Cosmic Ears was always careful to say - TWFK is a great driver, and many have used it with good results. But it doesn't quite fit his personal preferences, and he is pleased with his alternative. 

I don't know what driver he ended up using, but it definitely is not the TWFK or the Sonion 4400. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #36 of 5,310
Quote:
interesting
not sure their hybrid is
single dynamic with dual ba or twin ba

Quoted from their official page
"Our HY3 model is our top line hybrid model combining twin balanced armatures for clear highs and mids along with a single dynamic driver for lows."

They use twin ba with a single dynamic.

And as mentioned in their facebook page,
The sound of the twin ba can be described as analytical and detailed.
The sound of the dual ba is similar to the twin but a little warmer.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #37 of 5,310
is this already asked?...

regarding model Flex..they have these 3 short statements for the Features part:

Features

1. Full, medium of micro shell
  2. Many cable options
  3. 6 different driver setup options

could not get the 3rd one..anyone? does it mean 6 different sound  options too?

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #38 of 5,310
is this already asked?...

regarding model Flex..they have these 3 short statements for the Features part:

Features

• Full, medium of micro shell
  • Many cable options
  • 6 different driver setup options

could not get the 3rd one..anyone? does it mean 6 different sound  options too?

On the order page for the Flex there's a drop down list of all the driver setups you can pick.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #41 of 5,310
Quote:
 Quoted from their official page
"Our HY3 model is our top line hybrid model combining twin balanced armatures for clear highs and mids along with a single dynamic driver for lows."

They use twin ba with a single dynamic.

And as mentioned in their facebook page,
The sound of the twin ba can be described as analytical and detailed.
The sound of the dual ba is similar to the twin but a little warmer.

I confirmed that the HY3 triple driver hybrid is in fact the "twin" BA driver rather than separate BA drivers for mids/highs. So I was wrong and you are right. The twin driver is custom made for Cosmic Ears - it doesn't have a common name (like TWFK or Sonion 4400) and nobody else has it.

EDIT - forgot to mention, the lab is in Stokholm Sweden, to be more specific about an earlier question.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #42 of 5,310
When I asked about the BA sound signature:

"It all depends on the ba configuration. We try to keep the sound signatures fairly analytical and neutral, everyone has their own preferred sound signature and it is impossible to meet everyones requirements which is why we focus on this type of signature. We add a dynamic driver in our hybrid models to give some added low end and soundstage to those who prefer it.

If you have a preference we can always try to give you our opinion on what we feel would best suit you."

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #43 of 5,310
Thanks project86.

They may have a lab in Sweden but will they outsource their labor to other countries ? Just for that cheap price ? It kinda shocked for me to see price this low and made in Sweden ?

Any news from them coming out 4 drivers or 6 drivers or even 5 ba 1 dynamic concepts ?

I kinda looking forward to your reviews now especially the Flex

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #44 of 5,310
Thanks project86.

They may have a lab in Sweden but will they outsource their labor to other countries ? Just for that cheap price ? It kinda shocked for me to see price this low and made in Sweden ?

Any news from them coming out 4 drivers or 6 drivers or even 5 ba 1 dynamic concepts ?

I kinda looking forward to your reviews now especially the Flex

I think what he meant by lab is the actual "manufacturing plant". Many ciem companies manufacture their ciem in labs such as heir audio, jh audio, ue etc.
The cheap price is due to the limits in colours (save materials costs) and lack of personalisation (equipment costs)

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #45 of 5,310
This sounds like a good deal, might be a good option as gifts in the future. About lack of custom options to keep cost down I wonder why clear is not an option should cost less for them right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back