Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #5,207 of 5,310

Yeah, I recon that'll be the biggest problem, the wait.

I currently have no working in ears for all this audio gear I have

Noble has always caught my eye, I'm not surprised the time is that long, those guys make art.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #5,208 of 5,310
  Has anyone here had experience with any other CIEM manufacturers? 

I've had 3 pairs of CIEMS from Cosmic, all with major issues and have been without one of my pairs since 2014 (They lost track of them). So understandably I don't really want to throw away any more money, however having had CIEMS I can't really imagine going back to universals and it's something I used almost every single day. Now having gone weeks without music I'm really feeling the need to get moving to get my music back!

Any help would be awesome

Are those cable problems ?
What do you mean "they lost track of them" ?
confused.gif

As for CIEMs, I believe it depends on your preference. There are plenty of reviews on the internet.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #5,209 of 5,310
One of the three has a connector placed slightly off which seems to put extra strain on where the cable connects. The one they forgot about for 2 years, well I don't know, they knew why they were going back, sent plenty of messages, even a letter after months of nothing, no replies. So I gave up until this problem with my BA4 when they managed to find them they said it was because a member of staff left. I should note that I spoke directly with Phil about my problems and he told me to send them back, Phil is still there.

I was just asking here hoping for a good comparison vs what I have/had as theyre all Cosmic ears

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #5,210 of 5,310
One of the three has a connector placed slightly off which seems to put extra strain on where the cable connects. The one they forgot about for 2 years, well I don't know, they knew why they were going back, sent plenty of messages, even a letter after months of nothing, no replies. So I gave up until this problem with my BA4 when they managed to find them they said it was because a member of staff left. I should note that I spoke directly with Phil about my problems and he told me to send them back, Phil is still there.

I was just asking here hoping for a good comparison vs what I have/had as theyre all Cosmic ears

Woah, that's surprising ! Maybe it was because their information system was not mature enough at the time ? (even though it does not excuse the answer failure)
I exchanged more than 200 emails in total with 4 people from Cosmic Ears including Phil and even though there was a little lateness of several days from time to time, they were always answering me even with a great reactivity sometimes. Even though I must admit the wait is quite long compared to the average of CIEM manufacturers (still waiting for mine to come back even if they are in refit service), I enjoyed exchanging with Cosmic Ears a lot.
I am even more surprised as Phil is someone who seems very commited.

About the comparison, there are not so many people writing about Cosmic Ears when they compare other CIEMs.
Custom Art has a good reputation as someone told earlier (I was considering them along with Cosmic Ears at the time actually, but decided to go with Cosmic Ears). Maybe you can also check Lime Ears (particularly their Aethers if those are in your price bucket).

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #5,211 of 5,310

Cosmic Ears : took them from March to October to ship mine. Excessively long, but I have to say it was worth it for the combined trio of cost/sound/fit.

I have better made customs (Rhines, Empire Ears) that sound so bad I'd like to bang my head against a wall for spending so much money on them. I have better sounding customs (Westone ES60 which I have fit issues and cable prpblems), I have great sounding and great fitting customs (64 Audio) that cost me way more than the Cosmic Ears.

So... In my particular case, I got from Cosmic Ears an exemplary CIEM that sounds really amazing with all genres, fits well and didn't cost me an arm and a leg even though I had to wait long for it. Chances are, that if I'm in the market for another ciem, Cosmic Ears would be in my top 2-3 choices. The others would be Earsonics (you need to like the Earsonics house sound though... It's not for everyone, but they shipped mine in 3 days, the fit is perfect) and AAW (6 weeks to shipping, craftsmanship is above average, sound signature will depend heavily on which model you choose, my W500 are the perfect blend of punchy and reference).

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #5,212 of 5,310
Cosmic Ears : took them from March to October to ship mine. Excessively long, but I have to say it was worth it for the combined trio of cost/sound/fit.

I have better made customs (Rhines, Empire Ears) that sound so bad I'd like to bang my head against a wall for spending so much money on them. I have better sounding customs (Westone ES60 which I have fit issues and cable prpblems), I have great sounding and great fitting customs (64 Audio) that cost me way more than the Cosmic Ears.

So... In my particular case, I got from Cosmic Ears an exemplary CIEM that sounds really amazing with all genres, fits well and didn't cost me an arm and a leg even though I had to wait long for it. Chances are, that if I'm in the market for another ciem, Cosmic Ears would be in my top 2-3 choices. The others would be Earsonics (you need to like the Earsonics house sound though... It's not for everyone, but they shipped mine in 3 days, the fit is perfect) and AAW (6 weeks to shipping, craftsmanship is above average, sound signature will depend heavily on which model you choose, my W500 are the perfect blend of punchy and reference).

Thank you for your insight, that is indeed very interesting.
Earsonics were very fast !
eek.gif

About Rhines and Empire Ears, when you say they sound bad, is it a question of taste or do you mean that you believe they "universally" sound bad ? (for example, you nuanced with Earsonics for their house sound signature and I agree)

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #5,213 of 5,310
Yeah, the service isn't the fastest but for most the end product seems to be really great and the times through which I had no issues I loved my CIEMS. Thanks for the comparisons, I really appreciate it!

I think I'll likely, despite the cost endup going down the higher end route, rather than the bang for buck route. I think it would suck to go buy a sub par product to what I've already had, my CIEMS were among my most prised possessions.

I'd like to note, I don't know if there's anyone in the thread looking for a BA4 or CE2, I'm not sure what to do with them, it would be a waste to just toss them

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #5,214 of 5,310
Thank you for your insight, that is indeed very interesting.
Earsonics were very fast ! :eek:
About Rhines and Empire Ears, when you say they sound bad, is it a question of taste or do you mean that you believe they "universally" sound bad ? (for example, you nuanced with Earsonics for their house sound signature and I agree)

I can't say Rhines and Empire Ears sound universally bad as I've only heard one model of each (Stage 7 and Zeus-R respectively) whereas I've heard 3 EarSonics models.
Both Stage and Zeus have timbral issues for me but they're very hard to describe in a way that makes sense.

The Stage 7 I would call sterile & metallic. Music has no life. Everything's there (treble, mids, bass) in good quantity, but it doesn't sound natural. Everything sounds as if someone somehow draped a stainless steel sheet over the timbre of each instrument or voice. Physically it makes no sense of course, but the sound reminds me of the scraping and grinding of metal.

The Zeus-R on the other hand sounds hollow. You know when you tap your fingers on a rocky or plastic surface and you get to a point where there's a hollow space underneath? That's sort of what the Zeus remind me of. They produce a loud sound and I wouldn't call them muffled. Treble can be pretty sharp. So it's very hard to describe how it can sound sharp and full bodied yet hollow at the same time. But while the Stage 7 sounds like grating metal, the Zeus sounds like every instrument is made of plastic.
I know if makes no sense, but I just can't describe it.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #5,215 of 5,310
Yeah, the service isn't the fastest but for most the end product seems to be really great and the times through which I had no issues I loved my CIEMS. Thanks for the comparisons, I really appreciate it!

I think I'll likely, despite the cost endup going down the higher end route, rather than the bang for buck route. I think it would suck to go buy a sub par product to what I've already had, my CIEMS were among my most prised possessions.

Hope you find what you're looking for! It isn't easy, but once you do... Like you said : CIEMs are among the most prised possessions. Best of luck!

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #5,216 of 5,310
I can't say Rhines and Empire Ears sound universally bad as I've only heard one model of each (Stage 7 and Zeus-R respectively) whereas I've heard 3 EarSonics models.
Both Stage and Zeus have timbral issues for me but they're very hard to describe in a way that makes sense.

The Stage 7 I would call sterile & metallic. Music has no life. Everything's there (treble, mids, bass) in good quantity, but it doesn't sound natural. Everything sounds as if someone somehow draped a stainless steel sheet over the timbre of each instrument or voice. Physically it makes no sense of course, but the sound reminds me of the scraping and grinding of metal.

The Zeus-R on the other hand sounds hollow. You know when you tap your fingers on a rocky or plastic surface and you get to a point where there's a hollow space underneath? That's sort of what the Zeus remind me of. They produce a loud sound and I wouldn't call them muffled. Treble can be pretty sharp. So it's very hard to describe how it can sound sharp and full bodied yet hollow at the same time. But while the Stage 7 sounds like grating metal, the Zeus sounds like every instrument is made of plastic.

Hm. I've tried the Zeus R. The only hollowness I felt was the midrange; listenign to JOhn Mayer's Where the Light is album made his vocals practically disappear - I think there's some sort of midrange frequency dip in the Zeus R, so maybe thats what it is? It has a very dynamic powerful low end and great highs, just something about the mids..

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #5,217 of 5,310

Thank you for the precisions.
Actually I believe I can feel what you describe in some ways (but maybe not the right ones
biggrin.gif
).
I can't wait for my CE6P to arrive !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back