Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jul 24, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #4,951 of 5,310
  I have a couple of ciems 
rolleyes.gif
and I have both silicone and acryl pairs. While the silicone is nice, the Acryl will last longer. Fit is the same once they're in your ears.
I think you've been reading in the wrong places
biggrin.gif

But when it is dropped from a height for any reason, the silicone will just bounce off the floor! 

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #4,952 of 5,310
  I'm looking at getting an entry level (my first) IEMs. For travel and general geekery (I'm not for example a musician).

I have narrowed my options to the cosmic ears CE1P and the custom art music ones.

The main reason I am currently favouring custom art is the music one is silicone and the cosmic ears CE1P is acrylic.
From my very short amount of time looking into it the people who advocate silicone are either more numerous or more vocal.
Few people seem to be really pro acrylic.

So I thought this would be a good place to ask. Is anyone here really pro acrylic? Is it a matter of preference?
If you were getting your first entry level IEMs for general use do you think you would go with silicone or acrylic?

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here (here, here), but if you are not sure on acrylic then the prefit option CE offer may be just the thing for you to try out.  They are going on a well earned break from August though according to facebook.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #4,953 of 5,310
  But when it is dropped from a height for any reason, the silicone will just bounce off the floor! 

and you can even play ping pong with it! You're not supposed to drop your monitors, I never have.
Seriously though, there are reasons why acryl is better in the end, in example the glue (of the sockets) will never hold as long on silicone.
On the other hand, I'm very happy with my silicone monitors too

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #4,954 of 5,310

and you can even play ping pong with it! You're not supposed to drop your monitors, I never have.
Seriously though, there are reasons why acryl is better in the end, in example the glue (of the sockets) will never hold as long on silicone.
On the other hand, I'm very happy with my silicone monitors too

Accidents could happen without you knowing! 

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #4,957 of 5,310
Thanks guys. Durability is an important point and yes I can see silicone picking up more dirt and being a bit harder to clean.

I think I am now leaning towards cosmic ears. As they are uk based if the fit isn't perfect I can get them redone without having to send them back to poland which is somewhat reassuring. A "cheap" pair of IEMs wouldn't be so cheap if I had to send them internationally 3 times.

I also like the standard red and blue colours and with my options and the peli case my order comes to like £165 which seems pretty reasonable.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #4,958 of 5,310
:frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

"Due to summer holidays, our office is closed for production from Saturday August 8th– Sunday August 23rd.
Our customer service will still be available for contact and for new orders, but orders will not be shipped during this time.
We wish you a great summer."

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #4,960 of 5,310
  Still time if you want to pay rush :p

Ha. I was vaguely thinking about it last week, I have a holiday in the last week of next month.

But cosmic ears central london audiologist (I want to say gisele?) is away for 2 weeks and it would probably have been tight anyway.

Also £££ and given that it is a reasonably expensive purchase I am not mad at having a few more weeks to mull over options and designs (although I think I am sold on the 1 red/1 blue transparent like this pair from customart, I was considering this design, but as cosmic ears don't charge extra for the transparent red and blue I'm leaning towards the former).

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #4,964 of 5,310
When I got my steampunk I was blown away, but your pair IRL, I can't even fathom. They look freaking beautiful in the photo as it is, I do feel sorry for the poor soul who has to make them though! I'm sure it's rewarding but the days on end of it being a pain in the ass.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #4,965 of 5,310
  When I got my steampunk I was blown away, but your pair IRL, I can't even fathom. They look freaking beautiful in the photo as it is, I do feel sorry for the poor soul who has to make them though! I'm sure it's rewarding but the days on end of it being a pain in the ass.

Phil did say they took quite a while to make
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back