Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Mar 26, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #4,651 of 5,310

This is probably of very limited use in helping you make your decision, but for what it's worth:
Cosmic re-shelled my UE TF-10's for me, and over a year of daily use down the line, I still couldn't be happier.

Despite adding a dynamic driver to the already fairly complex triple drivers of the TF10, the overall sound signature has changed little (going by memory here) except for the bass frequencies, which have a little more presence generally, and do a great job with music which relies on the bass frequencies.

I was the second customer to volunteer (actually, badger is more accurate) for the added dynamic driver, and probably benefited from the experience of the first, as he decided to revert to a straight reshell, which I seem to remember reading that he was very happy with.

I think that anyone who can accomplish a good hybridisation of an existing IEM is likely to have little trouble with most straight reshells.

This is just one anecdotal data point, but I'd say go for it.

have just sent my Legend R to be reshelled by cosmic ears, am looking forward to the end product!

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #4,653 of 5,310
I emailed them on web page over 2 weeks ago with questions, no response.  Gave up on questions and thought I'd demo a couple pairs and sent that form in a week ago and still no response.

This company is not going to do well if they do not want to communicate with customers trying to buy their stuff!

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #4,654 of 5,310

That's interesting! 
If you don't mind me asking, what are you hoping to achieve by this, better sound or a nicer fit? maybe more extensive color customization?

Well, i bought an used Legend R from a nice guy here in head fi. That's the beginning of the story. Earwerkz do offer an ownership transfer, but because of ....

1. I live in EU, and cosmic ears is based in UK, which means shipping time would be more friendly and cheaper

2. Reasonable reshell price with artwork option and more colour option ( love it )

3. Recent order of CE6P, which means i don't have to send my impression

4. I do have faith at guys at cosmicears, I do believe that the sound signature of Legend R would stay the way it is :)

I decide to entrust the reshell of my Legend R to cosmicears.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,655 of 5,310
  I emailed them on web page over 2 weeks ago with questions, no response.  Gave up on questions and thought I'd demo a couple pairs and sent that form in a week ago and still no response.

This company is not going to do well if they do not want to communicate with customers trying to buy their stuff!

Really? that's strange. I've been in contact with them since several weeks, no problem there, always get the responses latest 3 days after. Having said that, they seems quite busy in the last 5 days. Maybe they are finishing up the CE10P or orders from us :D

well, why don't you give them a call then? the number is there on their page.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #4,656 of 5,310

Really? that's strange. I've been in contact with them since several weeks, no problem there, always get the responses latest 3 days after. Having said that, they seems quite busy in the last 5 days. Maybe they are finishing up the CE10P or orders from us :D

Same here with UprightMan, I emailed them like 3 weeks ago and still no response.
I can't call them (living outside the UK). 

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #4,657 of 5,310
  I can't call them (living outside the UK). 

I'm pretty sure International calls are possible nowadays
cool.gif

EDIT: Crap, that stupid joke was my 5000th post. Oh dear.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #4,658 of 5,310

CE seems to be sometimes picky in responding to emails:)

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #4,659 of 5,310

Well, i bought an used Legend R from a nice guy here in head fi. That's the beginning of the story. Earwerkz do offer an ownership transfer, but because of ....

1. I live in EU, and cosmic ears is based in UK, which means shipping time would be more friendly and cheaper

2. Reasonable reshell price with artwork option and more colour option ( love it )

3. Recent order of CE6P, which means i don't have to send my impression

4. I do have faith at guys at cosmicears, I do believe that the sound signature of Legend R would stay the way it is :)

I decide to entrust the reshell of my Legend R to cosmicears.

This is understandable. EarWerkz reshell fee is USD 350 (is one of the highest fees, besides EUR329 at Spiral Ear and USD500 at Lear for BD4.2).

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #4,660 of 5,310

CE seems to be sometimes picky in responding to emails:)

well, if it's the case, I'm forever grateful that I get the emails :D But I do think that they get busy recently

And regarding reshell, it's a good deal to have it done with artworks and 'more customizable colour' despite having to let go of the EW famous on-the-faceplate sockets. and like I said before, I'm excited to see and listen to my reshelled Legend R :D

and I guess, you also let CE reshell your NT-6, right?

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #4,661 of 5,310
Guys

It is worrying that I am seeing people not getting responses from us, this definitely should not be the case as I have checked and we don't have any outstanding emails from longer than 3 days. Could you please email us the query again and we will check our email system/spam filter etc.

Phil

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #4,662 of 5,310
  well, if it's the case, I'm forever grateful that I get the emails :D But I do think that they get busy recently

And regarding reshell, it's a good deal to have it done with artworks and 'more customizable colour' despite having to let go of the EW famous on-the-faceplate sockets. and like I said before, I'm excited to see and listen to my reshelled Legend R :D

and I guess, you also let CE reshell your NT-6, right?

Phil did not contact me about reshelling NT-6, but at the end of the day I resigned from buying NT-6 for reshell (since there are some proprietary drivers used in NT-6 and if they are damaged they could not be replaced with off the shelf drivers).

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #4,663 of 5,310

Phil did not contact me about reshelling NT-6, but at the end of the day I resigned from buying NT-6 for reshell (since there are some proprietary drivers used in NT-6 and if they are damaged they could not be replaced with off the shelf drivers).

which means john's NT-6 is still available??
gs1000.gif
 Anyway it's quite sucks if the drivers make it quite impossible to be reshelled, it's almost the same story with vision ears product.  Anyway, I do look forward to impressions on CE10P!!

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #4,665 of 5,310
John Culter already sold his NT-6 but I don't think he updated his classified.

Greed is selling his NT-6 (search the classifieds if you are interested).

I talked to InEarz and they confirmed that they made several reshells of NT-6, but other headfier told me that InEarz will not replace drivers and InEarz confirmed this. Then I confirmed from my other source that NT-6 is actually using proprietary drivers. Due to this I resigned.
BTW, Hidition reshell fee is USD 330 plus USD 60 for shipping.

Regarding proprietary drivers: AFAIK JH13pro uses proprietary drivers so their reshelling is also risky so NT-6 is not special in this respect.
However, IMHO with CIEMs using proprietary drivers you have to ask yourself whether you want to take the risk. My answer to this question (in respect of NT-6 where the total investment would be of approx. USD 1,000) was No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back