Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,283 of 5,310
Review
For those who are wondering how the CE6E sounds, I'm going to quote the review done by headfonia. Most of the review is spot-on, but I believe there are certain improvements since that time because Phil has been tweaking the CE6 continuously

Bass The CE6E scores really good in this area. Bass goes deep and has great impact while staying layered and detailed. If you’re not the biggest fan of bass body you should probably opt for the CE6P model.

If you've seen my email conversations with Phil, you would probably know that I love my bass. The statement here by headfonia is spot on; you are only limited by how low your player and song(recording) goes. There's plenty of sub-bass rumble for those who are looking for it(like myself). The CE4 is not lacking in bass but I feel that the CE6E has substantial improvements in the bass department. The biggest improvements I feel are in the extension, impact and layering.

Mids
The CE6E’s mids are more in line with its bass and so you get full bodied, lush mids.

I feel that the mids are a little more forward than what was described, just a little bit. It does not steal the highlight away from the bass, yet it is so lush that vocals solos can sometimes send chills down my spine because of the intimacy. I feel that the vocals are very similar in both the CE4 and the CE6E, but it feels more highlighted in the CE4 because the showstealer for me in the CE6 is the amazing bass presentation.

Treble
Treble in the CE6E is well represented and is a clear improvement over the CE4. Extension and detail has amazing clarity, and this gives the CE6E more balance(in proportion to bass)

Fit
As usual, the fit is impeccable. I was wondering how come they were able to improve on the fit from my CE4 which was already perfect. According to Phil, they are always fine-tuning the manufacturing process and the better fit results from a new dipping wax that they've used.

So Phil was checking in a few days after I got the CE6E and this was my reply to him.

Phil,

Sorry for being late, I'm in the midst of my move over to XXXX. To simply answer your question, the CE6 is a revelation. I readily admit I don't possess the golden ears many people seem to have, but i have listened to a great number of IEMs and CIEMs, heck, I've personally sent you quite a few to reshell or to take a look at, so you know my history. The CE6 is amongst the best of anything I've heard, beating even your other masterpiece, the CE4(which, if you recall, I told you I quite strongly preferred it to my jh16 because not only did I prefer the sound, the fit was PERFECT). I dont know how you did it, but the fit this time is SO SNUG, you almost indirectly caused my death because I couldn't hear the car horning me from behind(OK, I exaggerate about the danger, but I really didn't know there was a car right behind me horning me because of the isolation. It's definitely more than the 26db claimed). Soundwise, it is a clear masterpiece to me. There's no lack in bass which you were so worried I would find lacking coming from the 4 speakers in the jh16. I actually prefer the bass of the CE6 to the JH16 because it seems more coherent to me(I can't comment about the freqphase 16s because I don't own them). Vocals I feel are no less intimate compared to XXXXXXX, where the mids are their pride and glory. Ever so often you get a company which produces a product that so soundly beats the (much more well known) competition in terms of price AND performance that it is unbelievable. This is something CE has managed to achieve in my books.

All your advice thus far has been spot on, not only have you saved me a ton of money by talking me out of buying your hybrid drivers, but your knowledge of the subject and your passion has ensured that ALL my expectations have been met and clearly exceeded.

On a side note, had I known how the CE6 sounds, I would have bugged you ALOT more during the waiting process. Hell, I would have flown down to your company to pester you.

PS. I'm really really really really sorry about being so impatient during the waiting. =P

cleardot.gif

I admit, like many others, I have been unduly impatient in the waiting process despite having been warned beforehand by Phil sbout the time frame. I would like to thank Phil for his patience in dealing with an unruly customer and take the opportunity to apologise to him as well.

P.S. I've been talking to Phil and we're planning a surprise. It may not be announced here so watch FB for updates. :wink:

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #4,284 of 5,310
Review
For those who are wondering how the CE6E sounds, I'm going to quote the review done by headfonia. Most of the review is spot-on, but I believe there are certain improvements since that time because Phil has been tweaking the CE6 continuously

If you've seen my email conversations with Phil, you would probably know that I love my bass. The statement here by headfonia is spot on; you are only limited by how low your player and song(recording) goes. There's plenty of sub-bass rumble for those who are looking for it(like myself). The CE4 is not lacking in bass but I feel that the CE6E has substantial improvements in the bass department. The biggest improvements I feel are in the extension, impact and layering.

I feel that the mids are a little more forward than what was described, just a little bit. It does not steal the highlight away from the bass, yet it is so lush that vocals solos can sometimes send chills down my spine because of the intimacy. I feel that the vocals are very similar in both the CE4 and the CE6E, but it feels more highlighted in the CE4 because the showstealer for me in the CE6 is the amazing bass presentation.

So Phil was checking in a few days after I got the CE6E and this was my reply to him.

cleardot.gif

I admit, like many others, I have been unduly impatient in the waiting process despite having been warned beforehand by Phil sbout the time frame. I would like to thank Phil for his patience in dealing with an unruly customer and take the opportunity to apologise to him as well.

P.S. I've been talking to Phil and we're planning a surprise. It may not be announced here so watch FB for updates. :wink:

Sounds great. After few months of intense thinking I refrained from buying CE6 and I went other route. But, this review is very promising so who knows maybe I will order CE6 in next year.

I thing I would like to comment on. Although I did not have BA4F(=CE4E), I had BA4R, the bass in my BA4R was really great - it was very deep, had nice amount of subbass rumble, was detailed and had natural decay (not too short and not too long). If Phil managed to improve the bass in both CE6E and CE6P in comparison to BA4R/F then this could be one the best bass in CIEMs:D

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #4,285 of 5,310
Phil, if you're reading this, I'm not going to send you my empty shells to see if the CE6 fits in them.
Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a financial crisis, so new cIEMs will have to wait. 

It's not that big of a problem since I still really like the BA4s, and I will probably be able to buy the CE6s somewhere in 2015.

Much love ^.^

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,286 of 5,310
After a long nail biting wait my very own pair has finally arrived of the CE4E and I am just utterly astounded by them in so many ways! The change from universal to custom is an incredible hop. I will provide photos tomorrow along with my junior assessment of the sound, but I by no means am a Goldenear. I can however provide how they make me feel so far :-D. With roughly 6 to 8 hours of use already it goes without saying that I am extremely grateful to Phil and his team. Also they say that those things n which we wait for patiently prove to be most rewarding when they finally come about. I can attest to that. The amount of time I waited only makes them that much sweeter and personal to me. :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4,287 of 5,310
Hey guys! 

So I got a pair of re-shelled UE700s with a two additional drivers so basically a CE4. Man they are fantastic, Phil and the cats at cosmic put some amazing earphones together.

I'm an exception I'm sure because I'm really hard on my gear with exercising and travel, playing in the woods ect. I don't believe in babying my gear. I'm looking for a tough alternative to the linium T2 which in all appearances is a normal strong cable for most people. I messed up my cable one side stopped working. I think from keeping my iPhone in the pocket, running, and the connector getting bent around at times. Then I got another set with another pair, and I'm taking the cables off to switch between my Pures and CE4 just noticed that the connector to the earpiece is detracted from the plastic covering so I'm breaking this one too now. 

I also reached out to Cosmic so will keep you in synch if I hear anything but would be really cool if someone out there knows if there are third party options for the T2 cable? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back