Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4,081 of 5,310
Nice write-up! Sounds like Phil has another winner on his hands. I remember back in the old days when he was so focused on simplicity and good sound at low prices.... now look at all these higher end designs and crazy faceplates. I guess that's just what the market is asking for at the moment. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,082 of 5,310
  Nice write-up! Sounds like Phil has another winner on his hands. I remember back in the old days when he was so focused on simplicity and good sound at low prices.... now look at all these higher end designs and crazy faceplates. I guess that's just what the market is asking for at the moment. 

It's a sad development, though. Part of it is due to the fact that people wear their CIEMs in public, and style is important in modern society. Sometimes I have to shake my head when "looks great" is used like an objective argument for something ("they sound so-so, but hey do they look good!") Same goes for "lots of parts" or similar statements. Yesterday I read a professional review about a pair of pure Class-A monoblock power amps. The verdict went like this:

Contra:

- Runs pretty hot
- Power consumption
- Big and heavy

Pro:

+ Powerful
+ Sweet sound
+ Lots of components

so in their logic, lots of components = good? It's a bit the same with looks, they can take on the same value as any other feature.
mad.gif

I do realise that in my own review of the BA4 looks play a certain role. But they were never a deal-maker/breaker for me. The wood faceplates are nice, but no necessity.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4,083 of 5,310

That you like my review means a lot to me. You are, in my opinion, THE reviewer here on head-fi.
So everybody, if you haven't already checked out project86s reviews... do it now. Hurry, no excuses! He's outstanding. In all seriousness, your review of the BA4 helped me a lot (-> http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed-companies-john-grandberg ) .
In fact, many of your reviews did. Thank you.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #4,084 of 5,310
The Headphonia shootout is also very exciting, 1964 ears seem to be VERY highly regarded, so matching them blow for blow like that shows some serious chops.

It's actually a little better than that, when you dissect the content of the review, even though the overall result is a tie.

Cosmic Ears wins on Bass
Cosmic Ears wins on Mids
Cosmic Ears is 1 point short of winning the Trebles

Most revealing comment of all, is that the reviewer said if he could only keep one of them, it would be CE's that he would keep.

For a small company like CE to be giving CIEM's from 1964 Ears as hard time as that, is extremely impressive.

Worth noting as well, that for European customers, it's a no-brainer in terms of price, and CE wins hands down. Even for US customers, it's a price match with the 1964 product.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #4,085 of 5,310
That you like my review means a lot to me. You are, in my opinion, THE reviewer here on head-fi.
So everybody, if you haven't already checked out project86s reviews... do it now. Hurry, no excuses! He's outstanding. In all seriousness, your review of the BA4 helped me a lot (-> http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed-companies-john-grandberg ) .
In fact, many of your reviews did. Thank you.

AManAnd88Keys, do you have F or R version of ba4. project86's review relates to R version (although his review model has a little bit less of bass from model recently sold to consumers, including me).

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #4,086 of 5,310

3    2    1    0    1    2    3

Warm                                 x                                    Cold

Coherent              x                                                 Analytic

Transparent                x                                         Thick

Detail: very high        x                                          Detail: very low

Bass: full                           x                                    Bass: lean

Bass: fast                          x                                    Bass: slow

Mids: full                                  x                              Mids: thin

Highs: smooth           x                                           Highs: sparkly       

Authority              x                                                 Anarchy

Exciting                       x                                           Laid back

Instruments:              x                                           Instruments: Huh? What? Where?
Accurately
Placed

Intimate stage                              x                       Wide stage

Deep stage                  x                                          In your face

Big and bold                 x                                         Small and shy

Tactile and                   x                                          Plain and dull
vivid

Dude, I like your ranking system.  I like the stuff on the left like you.  One thing I don't get is the difference between cold and analytical.  I thought they are the same. Cold, I think of lacking treble lacking enough mids to go with it.  

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #4,087 of 5,310
  Dude, I like your ranking system.  I like the stuff on the left like you.  One thing I don't get is the difference between cold and analytical.  I thought they are the same. Cold, I think of lacking treble lacking enough mids to go with it.  

You are right that they are both similar. Cold, in my opinion, is not the same as analytical. Maybe it would have been better to name it differently. The problem is that we are talking about the description of a "inner picture" as warm and cold are synesthetic experiences in this case, and those are never easy to communicate. I have heard sytems that are on the warm side and still analytical. I have heard gear that is on the cold side but not overly detailed. Things can sound cold but still coherent, and so on. So I think I had to differentiate here, but I am not too happy with the result. In the future I will change or better "refine" this system a bit
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4,092 of 5,310

I'm buying for sure if Phil can make me a universal version 
wink_face.gif

Hello...Phil? 
tongue_smile.gif

I wouldn't hold your breath for a universal unfortunately.  I (amongst others I assume) have enquired in the past, and whilst they are on the road map they are not a priority as of this time (sadly, or I too would buy one in a heartbeat).

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,093 of 5,310
Tested this month x iem (Westone UM 30 Pro, Shure SE535, Fischer Amps FA-4E XB (but right side was damages) and have
now an Fischer Amp FA-3E XB (good,near TF10 but missing something) and JH-16 Freqphase here (indescribable good)

Waiting for an FA-4E XB and hope its better then TF10 and i lost memory from JH-16....
English is not my native language, i read the review. Can anybody say that the CE6 is worth for waiting?
When the FA-4E XB does not meet my expectations

I like the TF10 sound and love the JH-16 (playing with the thought to buy, after I buried secretly my wife in forest...)

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #4,094 of 5,310
  Tested this month x iem (Westone UM 30 Pro, Shure SE535, Fischer Amps FA-4E XB (but right side was damages) and have
now an Fischer Amp FA-3E XB (good,near TF10 but missing something) and JH-16 Freqphase here (indescribable good)

Waiting for an FA-4E XB and hope its better then TF10 and i lost memory from JH-16....
English is not my native language, i read the review. Can anybody say that the CE6 is worth for waiting?
When the FA-4E XB does not meet my expectations

I like the TF10 sound and love the JH-16 (playing with the thought to buy, after I buried secretly my wife in forest...)

Tie your wife up and feed her only water and saltines. After a week, offer her a pair of Jimmy Choos... eventually she will come around and let you keep the JH16's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back