Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jun 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,068 of 5,310
  I have to delay the review of my BA4 until later next week. I really like them! Here are some pictures
etysmile.gif

Nice, looks really good. Are those flush or recessed connectors?

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #4,069 of 5,310
For the benefit of all the CE fans here, the review of the CE6E is out. Details can be found here.....

http://www.headfonia.com/6-driver-shootout-cosmic-ears-vs-1964ears/

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #4,070 of 5,310
I will be buying the CE6E, but it might be in the CE6P flavour, depending on discussions with Phil. I will of course post some impressions back here in due course, but as I don't know yet, when the order queue will be opening, or where I will be in it, I have no idea how long that will be 
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #4,071 of 5,310
I will be buying the CE6E, but it might be in the CE6P flavour, depending on discussions with Phil. I will of course post some impressions back here in due course, but as I don't know yet, when the order queue will be opening, or where I will be in it, I have no idea how long that will be 
cool.gif

I will be joining the pre-order queue with a CE6P as well , might be good to compare notes when we get them.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,075 of 5,310
cool.gif

cool.gif

I will be joining the pre-order queue with a CE6P as well , might be good to compare notes when we get them.

According to the review, preorders open when the new website goes up sometime in the summer.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,076 of 5,310
It's here!

Cosmic Ears BA4 (= CE4p/e) REVIEW

Disclaimer:

This is not a professional review, I am not a collector of CIEMs nor do I have loads of spare cash to buy whatever I want. This is the only pair of customs I have. I also don't have many sources to choose from, the whole evaluation has been done using an iBasso DX50 and, after a few days, a newly bought Fiio X5. The X5 is now my standard DAP, and my fiancée is happy with her DX50 :wink:
I gave both the X5 and the BA4 about 40 hours of burn-in. I always do this to pressure test new stuff and also to see if sound quality changes in any way. In this case it changed a LOT, but I cannot tell if it is the X5 who has changed, or the BA4s or both. It's just a lot better now.

That's it, now let us take a closer look...

The story:

I think I should start off by telling that, initially, I did not want to order a BA4. I actually wanted a reshell for my Heir Audio 4ai. I really liked their sound, but the isolation was just not enough for my daily bus and weekly (looooooong) train rides. But that little audiophile demon on my shoulder said „Don't you want something new and shiny?! Maybe the Heirs are crap and you just don't know any better? Why don't you take a look at this...“ - Darn him. Ok, let's see... That BA4 seems nice......... Long story short: I talked to Phil, and he offered to do measurements of my 4ais, so that I could compare the results with those of the BA4. No charge and no obligations to buy anything. Now that's some customer service!

So I got the measurements, looked at the graphs etc... and it was obvious: the BA4 was, technically, the better IEM. I told Phil what my thoughts were, and was a bit puzzled that he did NOT bash Heir Audio. His point was that the 4ai are not that bad and he also explained where that weird midrange dip comes from. I was a bit surprised that he didn't try to talk me into buying one of his products. However, he also pointed out that at the core of the Cosmic Ears philosophy is the ideal electric phase. In that department the BA4 was by all means superior to the 4ai.
My goal was to find a pair of CIEMs that would be just „right“. The right sound (mostly neutral for me, that is), the right fit, the right look... a package that tells you „You will be happy for many years!“.
Intuitively I knew that this was the way to go. So I placed the order and waited...

When the package from Sweden arrived, I was really excited. Like really REALLY. So I took them out, marveled at the looks (don't they look great?!) and put them in. To find out that I had no idea how to put them in. I checked the manual, and when I thought I had put them in the correct way, it hurt. It was really uncomfortable and I had to take them out after less than a minute. For a moment, I was really disappointed and thought to myself „Great, I need a refit....“ . I guess I know what you are thinking right now (at least the more experienced readers are) – Man, you didn't get a proper seal! Don't be stupid, it takes some practice so be patient!

Spot on.

I watched a video on how to insert CIEMs properly, and after a few days I could put them in and out like a pro. Silly me.

A comment on the cable, the Estron Linum Bax: it's awesome. Light as a feather and very flexible. Everything else will seem clunky once you are used to this. Check the dedicated thread here on head-fi for more impressions.

The sound:

Before I started to write this review I thought about doing the classic „bass, mids, highs, (soundstage, PRAT)“ approach. The problem is: it doesn't do the BA4 justice. So I decided to go for a different route, and I hope you will understand why.

If I had to describe the BA4 with one word, I would say: coherency. If you allow me to take a few more words, I'd add: transparency, truthfulness and authority.

The BA4 is coherent, very coherent. I'm listening to Donald Fagens „Morph The Cat“ album in 24bit/96khz while I am typing these lines. I experience a sound that is one whole, it is not separated in a couple of layers or sections. The fascinating thing is: if I want to concentrate on single instruments or elements, I can do so without any problems. That's because the BA4 is transparent as well. It is no problem for me to pick out EVERY single detail: vocals, synth pad, rhythm guitars, drums, bass, little effects in the background.... it's all there, presented as one big sound painting where the individual colors shine bright and shapes are distinct.

Some might argue that Morph The Cat isn't the most complex of albums, and I agree. That's why I will put on some classic music now, a full orchestra.
Vivaldi, Le quattro stagioni: Inverno, interpreted by „I Musici“. I hear highly emotional music. Powerful low strings, a clearly rendered lead violin. I can pick out the single instruments if I want to. I feel the urgency, the passion of this piece, and I don't think that I am really missing anything. Alright, the soundstage is not the biggest, but it is still believable. You forget about it easily, because the sound as a whole is captivating and realistic. I have no problem to get lost in this record with the BA4.

Bass is another strong suit. Chris Jones' „No Sanctuary Here“ has some pretty low and powerful backing vocals, and they are there in all their glory. The sound is not „bassy“, „boomy“ or whatever. It is a strong and reliable foundation for the rest of the music to stand on. The BA4 sound authoritative and mighty in the best sense of the word. There is this feeling of „calm power“ that convinces me everytime.

I'm now listening to „Indiscretions“, off of the Zawinul Syndicate World Tour Album. I like the track because of those subtle changes in dynamics and tempo. It's the Joe Zawinul magic: one big, relaxed, but at the same time groovy and powerful sound that develops a strong hypnotic force the more I listen to it. There's not much I can say here, because the music is so good that I have a hard time finishing this sen......

I. Must. Resist. That. Urge. To. Listen. To. The. Whole. Album. Marcus Millers „Strange Fruit“is playing now. Man, the tone of the bass clarinet is a treat. Yummy.
„Rush over“ (same Miller album, „Tales“) is one sexy tune. Everything is spot on here. Meshell Ndegeocellos voice is hauntingly beatiful and oh so erotic.... now where was I?! The bass: almost as if I could touch the strings.

Ok, now you're probably thinking that I am exaggerating.
So let's be totally honest and face the truth: the BA4 is not perfect. The soundstage could be bigger, and sometimes the sound is a bit too much for me. There are moments where I wish it would sound more lightweight, more analytic. But then that would not be what I wanted for my standard CIEM.

So, what's the bottom line?

My review so far did not contain any ranking, rating or whatsoever. I think it's time for that now. Since I cannot compare it to any other custom, I decided to go for this:

3    2    1    0    1    2    3

Warm                                 x                                    Cold

Coherent              x                                                 Analytic

Transparent                x                                         Thick

Detail: very high        x                                          Detail: very low

Bass: full                           x                                    Bass: lean

Bass: fast                          x                                    Bass: slow

Mids: full                                  x                              Mids: thin

Highs: smooth           x                                           Highs: sparkly       

Authority              x                                                 Anarchy

Exciting                       x                                           Laid back

Instruments:              x                                           Instruments: Huh? What? Where?
Accurately
Placed

Intimate stage                              x                       Wide stage

Deep stage                  x                                          In your face

Big and bold                 x                                         Small and shy

Tactile and                   x                                          Plain and dull
vivid

I am very happy with my BA4. It was the right choice and I don't have any regrets!
I hope that you found this review informative and fun to read.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,078 of 5,310
Now that's some customer service!  
So I got the measurements, looked at the graphs etc... and it was obvious: the BA4 was, technically, the better IEM. I told Phil what my thoughts were, and was a bit puzzled that he did NOT bash Heir Audio. His point was that the 4ai are not that bad and he also explained where that weird midrange dip comes from. I was a bit surprised that he didn't try to talk me into buying one of his products. However, he also pointed out that at the core of the Cosmic Ears philosophy is the ideal electric phase. In that department the BA4 was by all means superior to the 4ai.
My goal was to find a pair of CIEMs that would be just „right“. The right sound (mostly neutral for me, that is), the right fit, the right look... a package that tells you „You will be happy for many years!“.
Intuitively I knew that this was the way to go. So I placed the order and waited...

When the package from Sweden arrived, I was really excited. Like really REALLY. So I took them out, marveled at the looks (don't they look great?!) and put them in. To find out that I had no idea how to put them in. I checked the manual, and when I thought I had put them in the correct way, it hurt. It was really uncomfortable and I had to take them out after less than a minute. For a moment, I was really disappointed and thought to myself „Great, I need a refit....“ . I guess I know what you are thinking right now (at least the more experienced readers are) – Man, you didn't get a proper seal! Don't be stupid, it takes some practice so be patient!

Spot on.

I watched a video on how to insert CIEMs properly, and after a few days I could put them in and out like a pro. Silly me.

A comment on the cable, the Estron Linum Bax: it's awesome. Light as a feather and very flexible. Everything else will seem clunky once you are used to this. Check the dedicated thread here on head-fi for more impressions.

Nice review!

Do you have the link for that video on how to insert ciems?  Shoot a pm please if you don't want to post here.

One thing that shines through again is Phil and Cosmic Ears customer service.

Really must get round to ordering that cable for my tf10 reshells.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #4,079 of 5,310
Nice review AMan!
Everything I've read about the BA4 makes me want to give up the wait for the new hybrid in favour of it!

Seriously though, your review paints a very clear image that's easy to understand, well done.

The Headphonia shootout is also very exciting, 1964 ears seem to be VERY highly regarded, so matching them blow for blow like that shows some serious chops.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #4,080 of 5,310

Users who are viewing this thread

Back