Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,466 of 5,310
Marleybob, can you please describe in detail what did you do with your monitors? I tend to have a problem with my rigth monitor, it slides a little form the ear canal and I'm constantly pushing them into the ear canal.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,467 of 5,310
Marleybob, can you please describe in detail what did you do with your monitors? I tend to have a problem with my rigth monitor, it slides a little form the ear canal and I'm constantly pushing them into the ear canal.

Yeah sure. But you probably shouldn't use nailpolish since it degrades the acrylic underneath. In my case this wasn't a very big issue since I wasn't planning on removing the nailpolish.

You should look into water-based polyurethane for gap filling.

So the first thing you do, is identify the problem. Just cut very small pieces of tape, put them in the problem areas, and see if it fixes the fit issues. When you found the gaps, you send the earpieces back to Phil with the tape still attached so he knows where to fill the gaps. If sending them back is problematic for some reason, you can very carefully apply water-based polyurethane.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #3,468 of 5,310
  Yeah sure. But you probably shouldn't use nailpolish since it degrades the acrylic underneath. In my case this wasn't a very big issue since I wasn't planning on removing the nailpolish.

You should look into water-based polyurethane for gap filling.

So the first thing you do, is identify the problem. Just cut very small pieces of tape, put them in the problem areas, and see if it fixes the fit issues. When you found the gaps, you send the earpieces back to Phil with the tape still attached so he know where to fill the gaps. If sending them back is problematic for some reason, you can very carefully apply water-based polyurethane.

Guys, I realise the frustration of having fit issue but I cannot stress enough how wrong it is to apply any of the these things you are discussing. All monitors use medical hypoallergenic materials, this is to stop any allergic reactions etc when putting it your ear. Using other "consumer" materials can cause issues that we just cannot predict which is why it voids any warranty. The materials we use are not easily available to the general public and also require skills and expertise to use.

I know it is a PITA to send monitors back for a re-fit but I cannot stress the importance of doing this.  

Any questions you know how to contact me.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3,469 of 5,310
I got my jh16 freqphase some months ago.
I have never been able to get more than a average sound from them, i have burned them inn for more than 200h now...

Phil suggested that i ship them to him so he can meshure them.
He already have my ear impressions from 6 months ago when i ordered the HY3.

Have any of you had this done?
Have any of you had jh16 reshelled by Phil?

rablakli 

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #3,470 of 5,310
I have never been able to get more than a average sound from them, i have burned them inn for more than 200h now...

rablakli 

Well that's fairly specific! No, I don't think anyone has done that 
tongue.gif
 But I think you are in capable hands! No need to worry :)

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3,471 of 5,310

rablakli 

I don't believe balanced armatures burn in (and I'm reasonably certain dynamic drivers don't change much either).  How did JH Audio respond to your complaint?  Fit issues can be a big problem, are you getting a proper seal?

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,473 of 5,310
I did not hear both versions and I have only R version, but to my ears R version is neutral (it is neither dark nor bright, neither warm nor cold) and have a nice kick on the bass (thus I cannot say that they are bass light). Additionally they have smooth treble.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #3,474 of 5,310

rablakli 

Nope, but he did an awesome job of re-shelling my UE TF10s (and adding a dynamic driver!)

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #3,476 of 5,310
They arrived yesterday evening! Fit is good, maybe a little big, as they irritate my ears after some time, but only slightly. The upside is they isolate amazingly well. The seals are never broken. The isolation is insane. I can't hear anything besides the music. This makes me listen to the music at a much lower volume, which is always a good thing. But these are definitely not safe to use on the street. Getting them in and out is a bit of a hassle, and is going to take some getting used to as these are my first customs. I did think the cable was quite long, almost reaching the floor when I've got the monitors in my ears. So I'll probably buy another cable that's a bit shorter and has a remote and a microphone.

Since they're a reshell, the sound signature isn't really something to discuss in this thread... but I'll do it anyway. I hadn't heard the Q-jays in about three-four-five years since they broke. Listening to these I completely remember their sound: analytical. They also expect high quality source material, and really show when recordings aren't up to scratch by being quite sibilant. Since I'd listened to crappy inears and a Koss Portapro which don't show anywhere near as much detail this is going to need some work the coming days.

Thanks Phil! They look and sound really good!

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #3,477 of 5,310
Currently, thinking of getting universals as my alternate IEM,
but got stuck between shure SE215 SPE and Westone 3 due to offer I see at my area.
Westone 3 is just slightly more expensive than se215, is why i am looking at this 2..

As cosmic ears users, what do you recommend since I have the BA4F?
I was thinking of getting a more neutral one compared to the warm BA4F that I already have...

Or since it's with Phil, I was wondering if i can get him to switch it to a BA4R and get something warm for the alternate...

Any suggestions?

PS: Did a quick demo on both universal IEMs, liked both of them as they have their strong points...
Lots of review on these "guys" is making me go nuts...(The bad review is really bad, while the good ones make them sound so good)

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,480 of 5,310
  Currently, thinking of getting universals as my alternate IEM,
but got stuck between shure SE215 SPE and Westone 3 due to offer I see at my area.
Westone 3 is just slightly more expensive than se215, is why i am looking at this 2..

As cosmic ears users, what do you recommend since I have the BA4F?
I was thinking of getting a more neutral one compared to the warm BA4F that I already have...

Or since it's with Phil, I was wondering if i can get him to switch it to a BA4R and get something warm for the alternate...

Any suggestions?

PS: Did a quick demo on both universal IEMs, liked both of them as they have their strong points...
Lots of review on these "guys" is making me go nuts...(The bad review is really bad, while the good ones make them sound so good)

The TDK BA200.

They are really cheap, and really great. I have no doubt in my mind that they blow the SE215 out of the water. 
The BA200 is still fairly warm sounding though. But, if you use silicone tips they have pretty good sparkly treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back