Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,021 of 5,310
Also I was very curious about the new lab, mainly because I'm in the UK too. For those wondering it's going to be in Manchester.

Also it does seem to be a very busy time for Cosmic Ears, so a few emails may have been missed. For anyone a bit put off by this I'd say it was worth waiting and sticking with it.
I did have to wait a while at christmas when they had a well deserved break, I am very happy that I waited.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #4,023 of 5,310
  Can somebody here explain to me the dynamic part of the naming scheme. Are dynamic CIEMS common? and the benefits etc

Nope very uncommon.  Normally it's a combination of BA's or Balanced Armature.  Dynamics normally have some sort of vent to function as I recall.  The only other ciem that I am aware of is the Unique Melody Merlin which is a hybrid.

The advantage of the dynamic is that they are normally much better at bass than a ba, however the tradeoff normally is isolation.  Shure's 215 (universal) is an honourable exception to this as it uses a similar shell to the more expensive 535's.

All afaik and not to be taken as read. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly!

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #4,024 of 5,310
I'm guessing they're for a real basshead? The bass from my CE4P sounded mighty good, even the CE2E handles it fine.

Also the Unique Melody is a Hybrid like the CE3H, but they have D listed, as in purely dynamic, no hybrid.

A micro dynamic could be a really nice intro to the world of CIEMS, assuming a dynamic driver would be small enough for that

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #4,025 of 5,310
waiting for HY5 and still thinking about reshelling my rockit sounds r50.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #4,027 of 5,310
FULL SIZE
CE1C
CE2C
CE3E
CE4E
CE6E
CE3H
CE5H

Micro
CE1M
CE2M

Reshell
CERS

Just to try to clear things up for anyone confused

so HY5 will be CE5H then

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #4,029 of 5,310
You will also have professional version at least of CE4 and CE6 (not only elite versions). So this list should be supplemented with CE4P (as I understand it this is the old ba4r) and CE6P.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #4,031 of 5,310
I don't know. CE's web page explanation is good in general but lacks this last detail explaining what is the new lineup naming and what is the new naming of all old models (ba4r is a good exmaple of this, there is no information on page what is its new naming - AFAIK it will be CE4P). Moreover, as I understand it, there might be some differences in what's in the box between professional series and elite series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back