Corrective Lens Wearers: What's Your Prescription?
Aug 29, 2010 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

vibin247

500+ Head-Fier
I know some of us on this board wear corrective lenses. I recently purchased a new pair of specs (Versace frames and Crizal Alize lenses for those who want to know), and out of curiosity, what's your prescription? I'm have high myopia and here are my numbers:

SPH   CYL   AXIS
O.D.   -6.75   1.75
O.S.   -5.50  -0.75   1.75

Luckily, it hasn't changed in the past two years. Also, anyone recommend a different brand of lens? I haven't tried Crizals, so that's why I'm using them this time around.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 27
I personally cannot stand plastic lenses...mineral glass all the way! much better OTF/MTF sharpness and constringence....59 Abbe accept no substitute.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 27
I only know my sphericals tbh, the rest I have to look up.
I have quite high myopia as well:
R: -7.5
L: -15.25

That was a year or two ago though and I bet it would be worse if it was measured again today (my eyes always seem to get worse for some reason)

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 27
The Crizals are the high index thin/light lenses? Peripheral vision takes a small hit with those. As always, be careful with a new pair. I tell people to try the anti-reflective lenses. Those're the best ever for night driving.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 27
Man alive, that is a huge difference between eyes!  Are you able to operate without corrective lenses on?  My eyes are somewhat imbalanced too (R: -2.25, L -1.25), and even that relatively small amount gives me headaches when I read papers or use a computer for extended time.

Quote:
I only know my sphericals tbh, the rest I have to look up.
I have quite high myopia as well:
R: -7.5
L: -15.25

That was a year or two ago though and I bet it would be worse if it was measured again today (my eyes always seem to get worse for some reason)

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 27
What?  No platinum screws?  No frames made of spent uranium fuel rods?

Can you put on a straight face and claim to differentiate between good aspheric glass (say, standard Hoya) and the fancy stuff?  Keep in mind, we already KNOW that you need corrective lenses :wink:  I'd rather spend my money to ensure I'm getting an accurate prescription and have decent optical formula ground into the lens, rather than rely on exotic lens materials.

Quote:
I personally cannot stand plastic lenses...mineral glass all the way! much better OTF/MTF sharpness and constringence....59 Abbe accept no substitute.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 27
I have mineral glass lenses in Calvin Klein 7723 frames, and grey polarized Ray-Ban New Wayfarer (black) sunglasses.

R: -9.5
L: -9.75

My two eyes are pretty equally terrible. And I'm only 18 
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 27

Can you put on a straight face and claim to differentiate between good aspheric glass (say, standard Hoya) and the fancy stuff? Keep in mind, we already KNOW that you need corrective lenses :wink:  I'd rather spend my money to ensure I'm getting an accurate prescription and have decent optical formula ground into the lens, rather than rely on exotic lens materials.

exotic? fancy? there's nothing fancy about 59 Abbe crown mineral glass.

just tell me the constringence of your Hoya lenses and we'll see. I haven't spent mad money on aspherical lenses but I've tried 58 Abbe spherical organic glass lenses and the picture was horrid...and let's not mention the 32 Abbe polycarbonate that made me feel half-blind. Recycled plastic coke bottles don't make for a good optical material I'm afraid.

From what I was told, many ppl cannot stand aspherical lenses and if you can't...there's no chance for a refund.

I use 59 Abbe crown 1.5 mineral glass(-2.75/-3.75) w/ a high grade multi-layered AR, the sharpness is fantastic....you can't match the crown glass OTF/MTF sharpness using mere plastic I'm afraid.

36 Abbe, yay: http://www.hoya.co.uk/index.php?page_id=19322

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 27
Not got my exact prescription here, but I know I'm -5.50/-5.75 and have a slight astigmatism in my left eye :)

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 27
What the heck:

Sphere     Cyl         Axis
OD    -1.00         -1.50      090
OS    -1.00         -2.25      080

I wear the Crizal Alize lenses in Moscot frames.

You all might want to try having your lenses cryo'ed.  It got me better definition and blacker blacks.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 27
Holy crap, and I thought I was blind!

Here're mine:

L: -4.50
R: -3.75

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Man alive, that is a huge difference between eyes!  Are you able to operate without corrective lenses on?  My eyes are somewhat imbalanced too (R: -2.25, L -1.25), and even that relatively small amount gives me headaches when I read papers or use a computer for extended time.

Short answer: No, I'm hopeless without my glasses :wink: I don't have any issues with headaches thankfully, even with that rather large difference between eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back