Corrective Lens Wearers: What's Your Prescription?
Aug 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 27
Previous to my new pair of glasses, I've had LensCrafters Featherwates with Scotchgard protection in Donna Karan frames and they've got quite a beating. After two years of heavy use, the anti-reflective coating is quite visible with scratches and spots, but worth it for nighttime driving and computer use. I wear my glasses at least 12 hours a day, so I expect them to wear out in a year or two. 

I don't mind spending good money on prescription eyeglasses. It's just something I can't live without 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 27
I don't know what my prescription is, but I have monovision, one eye is nearsited, one farsited, surprisenly I can see just almost enough to drive without glasses, I naturally only use one eye depending on what I'm doing, when I put my glasses on I naturally use both.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 27
R = -6.0; L = -6.5

I though my eyes were bad, and that my sister's were worse (-8.5; -10.5), but wow, there's some fairly bad numbers on here!

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #20 of 27
R = - 0.75

L = - 0.75, -0.25 Cyl

I wear Transitions VI photocromic lenses, they cost like a pair of good cans, but work really good.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #21 of 27
I had some of those transitions for years and years, always getting the latest versions.

Now I have prescription sunglasses and I'm not looking back. The only problem is walking inside and having to dig around for the regular glasses again, seeing as how I can't see with them on (too dark) or without them (too blind)

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
R = - 0.75

L = - 0.75, -0.25 Cyl

I wear Transitions VI photocromic lenses, they cost like a pair of good cans, but work really good.

That's a really weak prescription. Can you generally do without glasses?
Have they got the photochromics where they block UV? That used to be the big drawback.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
Previous to my new pair of glasses, I've had LensCrafters Featherwates with Scotchgard protection in Donna Karan frames and they've got quite a beating. After two years of heavy use, the anti-reflective coating is quite visible with scratches and spots, but worth it for nighttime driving and computer use. I wear my glasses at least 12 hours a day, so I expect them to wear out in a year or two. 

I don't mind spending good money on prescription eyeglasses. It's just something I can't live without 
smile_phones.gif

My wife worked for Lenscrafters, starting in the lab then as an optician. As a side benefit, I got 5 pair of glasses every pair with rolled and polished edges, titanium frames, what ever it took to max these out (for free) my wife availed me of. The newest pair is 15 years old, and most are in like new condition. One pair was lost. My daily wear ones need new lenses and the decorative edge on the frame is chipped. Other than that, the Marchon Auto-Flexs are rock solid. Good glasses last a long time.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
That's a really weak prescription. Can you generally do without glasses?
Have they got the photochromics where they block UV? That used to be the big drawback.

I have them on all the time, at school i absolutely need them, so i got used to it and weared them even in situations i could do without.
That's a one year old prescription which replaced an even lighter one, now i've probably got a bit worse, will have to check soon,

About the photocromic lenses, no they don't work in the absence of UV light, it's a drawback but it's somewhat necessary, if they were sensitive to any wavelenght, they'll be dark even right now when i'm typing on my computer screen...

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
I have them on all the time, at school i absolutely need them, so i got used to it and weared them even in situations i could do without.
That's a one year old prescription which replaced an even lighter one, now i've probably got a bit worse, will have to check soon,

About the photocromic lenses, no they don't work in the absence of UV light, it's a drawback but it's somewhat necessary, if they were sensitive to any wavelenght, they'll be dark even right now when i'm typing on my computer screen...

I'm just dreaming of a world with electrochromic glasses.... and magical voltage sources.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #27 of 27
Hmm, why not.

Sph.  Cyl. Axis 
O.D. -5.25 +0.25 074
O.S. -5.00 +0.50 080

My last prescription (Crizal) had some chromatic aberration, but my newest set of lenses (standard AR) is even worse. Everything on the edges of my lenses are surrounded by a red/blue haze. I have a 24" monitor and everything on the edges is blurry.

Next year when my eyes inevitably get worse I might go with contacts or glass to get around that problem. If I go with high index again I'll get the Crizal since it's much easier to clean- the regular AR is almost sticky in nature and makes cleaning without liquid a chore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back