Corda HA-2, RKV MKII, Sugden Headmaster?
Feb 26, 2003 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Fizzmix

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Soon, I will be receiving enough money to buy any of these 3 amps, and was wondering which one would be the best for my purposes.

I own a pair of Grado SR-325 headphones and am most probably going to purchase some Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones. I currently do not own a headphone amp. Which of these amps DO YOU THINK would suit these two headphones best? Also, if you can think of another amp that may be better that's in the same price range, please suggest it.

Thanks

~!~ Fizzmix ~!~

Feb 26, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 18
Well you can scratch the RKV, unless you also buy the Imapedancer. I haven't heard to much about pairing with the Grados. Also not too sure about the HA-2. Supposedly Jan doesn't like the sound of Grados. Perhaps you might consider the Gilmore amp? I have not heard any of these amps with Grados. I do use a Melos and a portable JMT META with RS2s and love em.

Feb 27, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 18
I would recommend the Antness Built Gilmore V2. (ABG) Check out the Mall-Fi section for pre-ordering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 18
I'm not saying that headmaster is not a good amp, but considering the pain I had gone thru in buying and after-sale service, I'd suggest you to consider other amps seriously.

Feb 27, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 18
Fizzmix,
I've been using the Headmaster/Grado 325 combination for a little over a year now, and love the combo! However, I do recommend you modify the 325's with the Sennheiser 414 earpads for both better sound, and comfort.

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Have you considered the melos at all? It was made with grados in mind, if I recall correctly, and it sounds fantastic!

I can't seem to find a website for this amp. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Fizzmix
I can't seem to find a website for this amp. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Melos is out of business, but there are a lot of their amps on the used market. They were designed for the older Grado's, specifically the HP-1000 series. The newer Grado's don't really take to the Melos SHA-1 the same way, IMO

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 18
If you want to take the chance, the Gilmore is on sale until Friday. No one has been able to review it yet to compare it to the older Gilmore, but it should be a step in the right direction at least. And for a mere $450 it is a downright steal to boot.

If you want to spend the money, the RKV Mk II is an incredible amp. With the Impedancer you can run anything, including high efficiency speakers. Tubes for it are cheap, which is a big bonus.

Feb 27, 2003 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 18
I'm not a Grado fan, but the SR 225 sounds good with the Corda HA-2, a bit less the SR 325. Beyer DT 880 and Corda HA-2 are a dream combo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 18
Melos and new Grados...is not a jive I am hip to (heh that was fun typing).

I think you will enjoy the RKV combo and for the extra money...$100 US? Get the imp which will let the 325s perform well. The RKV is highly regarded, great service from both Jan and Audio Valve. You could probably swing a nice deal from Jan as well if you wanted the Beyers...3 items? Surely a good deal as well as savings in shipping.

I was not overly impressed with the Headmaster and it would seem the fad is now wearing off. That said, if you wanted to sell it ever...if would be tough enough.

The Gilmore would likely be a good deal and the HA-2 is said to be the best ss amp out there (given that the prehead is pretty much the same sound).

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back