Cord issue with AD2000, how to replace?
Jun 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fetou

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I've never worked on headphones before and really would prefer not to unless it's VERY simple and not risky. Obviously, these phones are a large investment and I don't want to damage them.

Right now the right ear cuts in and out as I wiggle the cord where it connects to the bottom of the right cup. I think the wires inside the cord are split and only when I squeeze them together in the right way does the right channel kick back in.

These headphones are advertised as having a removable cord... but how does that work? I can't find my manual for it and don't know if I'm just supposed to pull hard on the cord if I wanted to remove it or what...

Where would I go about buying a replacement cord that is suitable?

I'm thinking of taking it to a stereo/sound specialty place and just paying them to try to solder the wire back to functioning condition or such, but I don't know if I trust them and would like to avoid paying a bunch of money if there is a simple alternative.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 5
How do people usually do recables? I thought I saw stuff about that all the time on these boards, but I haven't been here in a while.

What really needs to be done to the headphones at a service center and do you think someone experienced at a sound repair shop could do it?

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Just search around for a recabling guide, there's a few on this forum. The guide might not be specific to your headphones, but the general idea behind them is the same. Basically you just have to find a way to get access to the drivers. This usually starts with removing the ear pads.

edit: If you don't feel comfortable repairing them yourself, then take them to an audio store and see if they can do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back