Cool Songs That Commercials Made Popular
Oct 1, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 71
Spoon - "Back to the Life" from another Mitsubishi commercial.

My Morning Jacket - "Mahgeetah" from Aspen Edge low carb beer

Brendan Benson - "Tiny Spark" from Hewlett Packard I believe, not sure though.

Iron & Wine - "Such Great Heights" (Postal Service) was on a recent M&M's commercial

Oct 2, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #32 of 71
Thanks for the other suggestions guys.

The Walkmen has a pretty interesting EP. I like their fairly spare arrangements.

Iron & Wine's rendition of Such Great Heights is interesting. I actually just picked up Postal Service's Give Up just this week...I know, where have I been?

Oct 2, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #33 of 71
Modest Mouse on that minivan commercial. That's how i found them lol.

Oct 2, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Modest Mouse on that minivan commercial. That's how i found them lol.

Yup, me too! I had downloaded the song from iTunes...now I'm getting both the Moon & Antarctica and Good News albums.

Dec 10, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #35 of 71
There's a fairly active forum here to look and request the names of commercial music: http://adtunes.com/forums/

That said, anyone know the name of the chill song in the Veronica Mars commerical the past few months where a soft female voices goes, "Where do we go from here..." ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #37 of 71
My all-time favorites are:

"Revolution" by The Beatles used in Nike commerical, not because the commerical made the song popular but simply because of the shock that Michael Jackson was using The Beatles collection to peddle sneakers. Now this is all too commonplace.

"Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop & the Stooges/ David Bowie used in Royal Caribbean commercial. Probably the most misused song by a commerical, ever. I remember thinking maritime vacations for recovering heroin addicts, geriatrics beware!!.

"Fortunate Son" by John Fogerty/CCR used by Wrangler. Because nothing says pants like privileged children of senators avoiding the Army during Vietnam.

Dec 10, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #38 of 71
Picture Book - The Kinks used, minus the downer verse lyrics, but a great tune - it's probably been enjoyed by more people as an ad lyric than it ever was in it original form.

There was a fad in the mid-1960s for writing commercial themes that went on to become hits or at least memorable tunes. Benson and Hedges had one "The Disadvantages of You" by the Brass Ring for it's introduction. Alka Seltzer had "No Matter What Shape" by the T-Bones.

Jim Webb's Up, Up and Away was rented by TWA, but the campaign was a disaster, and the fad disappeared for a while.

Dec 11, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #40 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Mr. Scruff - Get A Move On

grr you beat me to it, i think it was an oldsmobile commercial or something, plus it's also in some british home reno show my mom watches all the time

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #41 of 71
Okay, not exactly a commercial...but it's my thread
tongue.gif
...I was just watching a show called Nap Attack on TLC (about narcolepsy) and this song keeps coming up and was quite cool. But all they kept on playing was the verse "I've been waiting" as they cut to commercial. Of course there are a gazillion songs with those lyrics, so search was quite frustrating.

Drove me nuts for half an hour until they played a slightly longer verse and I googled the lyrics just to find out it was a song by Faithless called One Step Too Far, and it was in fact already in my CD collection...why the heck wasn't this song already ripped?

Nothing better than to find a song that's been desperately trying to figure out just to have it right there in your own collection.

This happened to me one other time where I was at J. Crew and this song came on and sounded somewhat familiar. I could not for the life of me figure it out which it was at all depite wasting quite some time on line. One day I was listening to Amplified Heart by Everything But the Girl and the song was 25th December! All the while, I had the CD...doh!

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #43 of 71
Great Thread needed reviving...

I typed "song from the Sony Bravia add" into google last week and discoved Jose Gonzales "Heartbeats".

The add is the one where thousands of coloured balls bounce down the street. The son is really beautiful.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #44 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
Great Thread needed reviving...

I typed "song from the Sony Bravia add" into google last week and discoved Jose Gonzales "Heartbeats".

The add is the one where thousands of coloured balls bounce down the street. The son is really beautiful.

My friends and I were convinced the ad was computer-generated, until we went to look up the song and discovered the website at bravia-advert.com.

I still think it looks fake
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back