Cool Songs That Commercials Made Popular
Dec 23, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vosper
My friends and I were convinced the ad was computer-generated, until we went to look up the song and discovered the website at bravia-advert.com.

That's a GREAT commercial! Love the song...reminds me a bit of Modest Mouse. Good thing it's on iTunes Music Store, because I just added that to my "Commercials" playlist. Thanks for the recommendation redrich and Vosper.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 71
The 5,6,7,8's - Woo Hoo, is currently on the air being used to sell internet phone service.

C'mon, you all know the words: "woo hoo woo hoo hoo, woo hoo woo hoo hoo, woo hoo hoo, woo hoo woo hoo, woo hoo woo hoo hoo......"

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #49 of 71
There are aot of songs that commercials made popular but some songs they almost kill.

Like Kiss - Shout it Out Loud for the Mars commercial. They never stop playing that.

Also for a while I couldn't think of Journey - Any Way You Want It other than for car commercials.

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #50 of 71
Volkswagen had Trio's Da Da Da

Dec 24, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #51 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
While most TV commercials use popular songs, what are some of the unknown/obscure songs that a TV commercial made popular? Please list commercial, artist, and song title.

The GRANDADDY of all of them is "Music To Watch Girls By" by the Bob Crewe Generation. Every single one of you know this song, whether you know it or not. It was written as a ditty for a Coke commercial and ended up being a hit record. It's one of the most deeply ingrained melodies of the sixties. Another hit song with a similar story was "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing".

See ya
Steve

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #54 of 71
Polyphonic Spree's "Light and Day" from the VW commercial a few years back def. turned me on to that cult, I mean band.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I would like to know the songs that Hummer has used on its last two commercial productions. I really liked them...

I know you asked this question a year ago, did you ever get a response?
The only song I remember with Hummer is "Happy Jack" - The Who.

It blows me away when I hear the commercial first and discover the song later. That happened to me a Publix grocery store commercial. They used "Sleep Walk" - Jeff Beck on a few commercials. I've loved that song ever since Publix found it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #57 of 71
Air's Playground Love, from the Virgin Suicides soundrtrack album, was used in a Levi's commercial several years ago. The music caught my attention and it took me weeks to figure out Playground Love was the track.

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
I know you asked this question a year ago, did you ever get a response?
The only song I remember with Hummer is "Happy Jack" - The Who.

I think this is the right answer, but was not answered to DLeeWebb directly...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo diaz
Seventeen Year by Ratatat in a Hummer H2 commercial.

I remember that commercial being pretty recent. I believe it was an all-white background with a yellow H2. Great track, too.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #60 of 71
I've skimmed through the thread, but I haven't seen mention of Hooverphonic yet -- they've probably gotten half their album sales frrom people picking up on them after their songs were used in commercials.

I seem to recall they were part of a car commercial a few years back which featured their track "Renaissance Affair," and I could swear 2Wicky has been used in the past as well. Most recently, they had "This Strange Effect" used in a cell phone commercial...this being no more than two months back.

I also seem to recall a track from Massive Attack's 100th Window was used for a liquor commercial...Smirnoff, maybe? One of their vodka-based drinks.

I remember that M83 track too -- that's one of those where I actually jumped up and said "I KNOW that track!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back