Cool Songs That Commercials Made Popular
Mar 6, 2005 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

Oski

1000+ Head-Fier
One of my new favorite songs is Breathe by Telepopmusik which I first heard on a Mitsubishi commercial. Mitsubishi also made the group Dirty Vegas famous by using their song Days Go By.

Currently the iPod Shuffle is using the song Jerk it Out by the Caesars which is an infectious little ditty.

While most TV commercials use popular songs, what are some of the unknown/obscure songs that a TV commercial made popular? Please list commercial, artist, and song title.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 71
Ive heard Van Halen's "right hear right now" used on a couple different commercials... I think it was pepsi??

Garrett

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 71
Yes Garrett, but Van Halen was already an established band. It's not unusual for commercials to use songs by popular bands...the challenge is to find the band/song that a commercial made famous.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 71
Not quite the right answer, but..

Todd Rundgren's "Bang the Drum All Day" was a song that was made popular twenty years after its releases when sports stadiums accross the country started playing it... Lately I haven't been able to get it out of my head
tongue.gif

"I don't want to work, I want to bang on the drum all day! I don't want to play, I just want to bang on the drum all day!"

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Lately I haven't been able to get it out of my head
tongue.gif

"I don't want to work, I want to bang on the drum all day! I don't want to play, I just want to bang on the drum all day!"

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If you think you can't get that song out of your head...back in college in '90 one of my friends and I were working when he started singing the song this way: "I don't want to work, I want to bang on her c*&t all day!" Now try getting that out of your head...

Apologies if that should offend anybody.

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 71
Muahahaha....

The Crystal Method - Busy Child
Fluke - Atom Bomb

No one can deny these two songs were practically marketed by the TV advertisers back in the day....

Mar 6, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 71
Mr Oizo - "Flat Eric" - on Levi's Ad

biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 71
Modest Mouse - "Gravity Rides Everything" from some Nissan commercial. My mouth went
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 71
Those are some good ones so far, I actually can't find "Flat Eric" by Mr Oizo. But good call on the Gravity Rides Everything and Pink Moon...really great songs that I only got exposure to because of the commercial! I think I may make a compilation for myself with suggestions from this thread.

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Those are some good ones so far, I actually can't find "Flat Eric" by Mr Oizo.

D'Oh, that's because it's called "Flat Beat" - Sorry! My Mistake!

Mate, you MUST watch the video and not just listen to the track!

Here you go:

http://theonenetwork.com/playvideo.a...ideoid=mroizo1

Click on the appropriate connection speed and then press "Skip" in the top right hand corner of the next screen (to bypass the advert), then you're there!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I forgot how cool this video was
cool.gif

Right click on the actual movie and get it full screen too!

EDIT - If you like the track - try and get it from somewhere good, as it sounds pretty rubbish on the video.

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 71
MrJoshua, noticed that you are in the UK. Chicane is an awesome group known by fans of electronica. While they broke the top 40 in the UK with a couple of songs. Here in the States they were introduced to people's homes with the song Saltwater which was used for the Irish tourism ad. I wish they showed that commercial more. Not sure if anyone on Head-Fi from the States have seen this commercial.

The album Behind the Sun is one of my favorites...though I wish the recording quality, while not terrible, could have been much better.

Mar 6, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua
D'Oh, that's because it's called "Flat Beat" - Sorry! My Mistake!

Mate, you MUST watch the video and not just listen to the track!

I forgot how cool this video was
cool.gif

LMAO...that video is the best! And OMG, that yellow bear is PinkFloyd's avatar here on Head-Fi, the one he's mock-auctioning on eBay. Is that bear (looks more like a monkey to me) some sort of UK muppet? I've not seen it in the US.

Mar 6, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 71
He became famous from the Levi's advert, and that dance single...

The Levi's advert had him driving a car, leaning to the side, tapping his "fingers" to the beat of that song!

He was called "Flat Eric" and the song was called "Flat Beat".

That's about it as far as I know!

confused.gif

*Edit* He's a passenger in the car, not the driver! Forgot everyone else drives drives on the wrong side!

Here's a photo:

eric-ritmo-240.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back