Converting my sacd iso to flac
Mar 10, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #16 of 55
  Main trouble of SACD ISO to FLAC, WAV, DSF conversion is clicks at border of tracks.

The trouble is result of bug sacd_extract software during conversion ISO to DSF.

ISO -> DSF conversion allow transfer metadata directly from ISO to DSF.

For ISO to DFF conversion (without metadata, of course) - no click problems.

I.e. conversion ISO -> DFF -> DSF with additional auto transfer metadata from ISO to DSF allow solve both trouble:

1. Clicks
2. Metadata transfer

Also during resampling at border of neghbour tracks appear slight noise splashes. It result of applying of digital filtration during resampling.

It's matter of some albums like live concerts, operas, etc. I.e. there tracks divided in places with non-zero values.

Solving here in serial resampling/processing all tracks of album as solid audio stream. I call it "true gapless conversion" (or seamless album conversion).

Audio playback software also must support gapless playback.

so to get rid of clicks I should convert the iso to dff and then convert the dff to dsf using iso2dsd program, i want to play dsd files on ak380 from iso dsd images I have

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 55
  Two stage need. Here more information about click nature http://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-convert-iso-dsf-wav-flac-aiff-without-clicks-user-manual

Thanks Yuri

I am gonna take it slow, I downloaded the app, I am totally new to this

I have an iso image file that I want to listen to on my ak380 as dsf format, what settings in the app shall i choose to avoid getting clicks, and without loss in quality or bit rate

thanks so much

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #19 of 55
Hykhleif,

In short, fixing clicks is complex task - both audio converter and player. In my software these technologies develops since 2014. During this time remains three: conversion album's files as single file, smoothing fronts (borders of the audio files), extracting ISO via dff. In demo true gapless mode allow batch processing of ISO.

If audio player able work in gapless mode - true gapless conversion is ideal way.
If audio player can't it or need play separate tracks from the album - here need use smoothing.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #20 of 55
  Hykhleif,

In short, fixing clicks is complex task - both audio converter and player. In my software these technologies develops since 2014. During this time remains three: conversion album's files as single file, smoothing fronts (borders of the audio files), extracting ISO via dff. In demo true gapless mode allow batch processing of ISO.

If audio player able work in gapless mode - true gapless conversion is ideal way.
If audio player can't it or need play separate tracks from the album - here need use smoothing.

i assume my ak380 support gapless

i will play around with your software once i get home and see what i can achieve

May 8, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #23 of 55
Jriver is not free. Easiest is to use the free ISO2DSF batch script, provided by a helpful fellow over at Computer Audiophile. It's basically a little program to automate to two-stage conversion from iso to dff to dsf. (Direct download link here.) The two-stage conversion is needed to prevent audible clicks, as Yuri Korzunov pointed out above.
It's a simple command line utility for Windows. You can use it via the command line, or even easier, by dragging an iso file over the iso2dsf program. It even reads and transfers the tags from the iso to the dsf files, although they usually need editing anyway because the iso tags are often garbage or in capitals etc.
A pdf file is included with usage instructions, and with links to the external utilities sacd_extract and DFF2DSF from Signalyst.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #24 of 55
  Is there idiot (and I am referring to me) proof conversion software for Mac OS X? I have XLD (which is limited to 24/96) and I noticed that there is a program for sale for $35.00 called TraX . What should I use and is there a guide explaining how to use it? Thanks to all. And please bear with me as no one would confuse me with an IT person or a computer engineer. 

I can answer as audio converter's manufacturer. Almost all our users seek to quality primarily.

If ISO or DSD file converted to flac, wav and other lossless PCM need estimate level of noise first.

Second is phase distortions.

Ringing artifacts is important part of resampling DSD to PCM, but for ordinary musical stuff it is not so critical in my opinion.

For testing used only special test signals (sweep sines, pulse train, etc.).

Musical signal can not be used for estimation because it is very complex.

Of course, comparing by measurement enough sophisticated. But it is single way of choice of the best conversion software.

Also need to see how often appears new updates and time of reaction to tech support request. Because software without bugs do not exists :)

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #25 of 55
Hi Yuri, does your iso extractor apply noise cancelling when extracting iso to dsf? I can hear the background noise of dsf extracted by isoxdsf, though its very mild, but with earphones it's clearly there!
And also the sound quality of the output dsf files, are there any difference with free extractors?

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #26 of 55
Hi Yuri, does your iso extractor apply noise cancelling when extracting iso to dsf? I can hear the background noise of dsf extracted by isoxdsf, though its very mild, but with earphones it's clearly there!

Hi MLTKSHHBT,

Noise is integral part of DSD.

When we playback DSD, noise level depend on both DSD modulator and demodulator.

Modulator may be used in conversion software (if extracted DSD is processed). DSD demodulator may be used in playback software or DAC.

Processing that may be applied in AuI (for non-bit-perfect mode): resampling/filtering, clickless, gain, normalizing level.

If ISO to DSF is converted (via AuI ConverteR) in optimized mode (with audio processing - not bit perfect), AuI filter high frequencies above 20 kHz. But DSD’s own noise is present anyway.

With some DSD demodulators it can give noise decreasing. These demodulators must have lower cutting frequency. For this case noise level will lower.

For other demodulators that have higher cutting frequency - DSD’s own noise passed by to output. And output signal may have higher noise.

In ideal apparatus ultrasound noise is inaudible. It «kill» some part of dynamic range of audible signal only.

But in real apparatus due non-linear distortions this non-filtered ultrasound noise shifted to audible range. I suppose, that you hear this shifted ultrasound noise.

Same things are happen with DXD records, that have significant non-filtered ultrasound noise derived from DSD.

Reasons of non-linear distortions may be in software or/and hardware.

Resume:

Extracting DSF from ISO in AuI’s optimized mode may improve signal/noise ratio. But not for all playback hardware and software.

Information about optimized mode (there about PCM, for DSD also used 20 kHz filtering) in optimized mode http://samplerateconverter.com/content/what-optimization-audio-dac

Quote:
And also the sound quality of the output dsf files, are there any difference with free extractors?

As audio quality I consider as minimal distortions of original stuff after conversion.

I can’t disclose our internal research results about our competitors (including free) by ethical reasons.

For bit-perfect extraction may be lost last audio data blocks of extracted stuff (audible as clicks on borders of the songs) during extraction.

Different converters (non-bit-perfect extraction) may have different:
- level of noise/artifacts,
- clicks in converted files,
- stability DSD modulator issues (overload can cause break of work of DSD modulator),
etc.

Different issues may be fixed/improved in latest versions of a software. I.e. need compare certain versions of a extraction software.

AuI ConverteR’s demo specially have non-limited audio quality. It allow immediately test the converter without asking us even.

I can recommend RMAA, as analyzing software with automated measurement mode, as example.

From our side, we provide studio level quality of conversion (by measurable features) that expected for top level conversion software class from our point of view.

During development we always consider possibility of AuI for using in world the best music production projects.

I ask don’t consider the state as promo. It is our position in development only.

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #27 of 55
Hi Yuri, I purchased a licence for iso extractor, extracting process stopped half way with message "base module not registered". Does that mean I need to get another base module in order to work?!
I need only extracting iso to dsf...

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #28 of 55
Hi Yuri, I purchased a licence for iso extractor, extracting process stopped half way with message "base module not registered". Does that mean I need to get another base module in order to work?!

Why pay for freeware?

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 55

Hi MLTKSHHBT,
Thank you for order.
Looks like you input license ISO extractor’s key for base module.

1. Delete all *.lic files into hidden directory
C:\Users\<REPLACE TO YOUR WINDOWS USER NAME>\AppData\Local\com.audiophile-inventory\AuIConverteR48x44\

2. Restart the converter.

3. Run the converter.

4. In the input license window select «ISO extractor as ISO core module»

5. Input key in «Input license key number» field

6. Click Save button, clock Close button

7. Restart the software.

If will other troubles with launch, it possibly copy/paste key issues. I just sent you (to email) key file with instructions for emergency case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back