Converting my sacd iso to flac
Nov 23, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #46 of 55
  Hi guys, coming from Windows. Any fast and good way to convert DSF files to FLAC please?

gemmoglock, 

I use dBpoweramp for what you're doing. You need to download that. It's f'ing great!

It says the "free trial" is only 3 weeks, but the truth is, after 3 weeks, the conversion option STILL stays enabled. Just get the "Windows R16.1 Trial" version. No need to pay. I didn't. 

You also need the "DSD" codec, which can handle DSD & DSF files. You can find that here. Install it after installing the main program. Then you will be able to convert all DSD albums to any other format you want that's listed, including FLAC (use "Lossless Level 8" for best results). I have converted a bunch of DSD Hi-Res albums like this one already using dBpoweramp with great success! 

PM me if you have any questions. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #47 of 55

gemmoglock, 

I use dBpoweramp for what you're doing. You need to download that. It's f'ing great!

It says the "free trial" is only 3 weeks, but the truth is, after 3 weeks, the conversion option STILL stays enabled. Just get the "Windows R16.1 Trial" version. No need to pay. I didn't. 

You also need the "DSD" codec, which can handle DSD & DSF files. You can find that here. Install it after installing the main program. Then you will be able to convert all DSD albums to any other format you want that's listed, including FLAC (use "Lossless Level 8" for best results). I have converted a bunch of DSD Hi-Res albums like this one already using dBpoweramp with great success! 

PM me if you have any questions. 

Hi @RockStar2005 thanks for your prompt reply!

I will take note of this. I don't have time to do A/Bing yet but I discovered the Sony Media Go software I already have on my computer can convert DSD/AIFF/DSF and normalise the volume at the same time. So for now I will use this first :)

Thanks again!

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #48 of 55

Hi @RockStar2005 thanks for your prompt reply!

I will take note of this. I don't have time to do A/Bing yet but I discovered the Sony Media Go software I already have on my computer can convert DSD/AIFF/DSF and normalise the volume at the same time. So for now I will use this first :)

Thanks again!

YW!

I used to use Sony Media Go but not anymore. 

That's cool. I don't like normalizing the volume but some ppl do. I just feel like it might do more damage to the "natural" sound of the music than good. But maybe SMG does it better? Not sure. 

Yeah try it out and if any issues or questions, just PM me. You prob won't have any though. I also use mp3tag for labeling too (optional). Another great program. It can handle ALL formats, not just mp3. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #49 of 55
  Hi Folks!
I have a lot of SACD ripped to iso files which I play using foobar on my Pc .If I understand correctly foobar reads the iso file and converts the dsd to a pcm stream.I have ordered a fiio x5(which i,m waiting for) ,which can also play dsd using software on x5 to read and convert to pcm.
Neither  foobar or the x5  can play dsd natively ,for that you need a dsd dac or something like the schiit loki which I don,t have. 
Some of my sacd iso files contain both the stereo and the (5.1 tracks which i,m not interested in) some have stereo and mono tracks.
As 128gig microsd cards are really pricey just now I,ll be using 2x 64gig cards in my x5 for now.
If I start filling my cards with iso files I,m going to run out of space very quickly ,some of the files are over 4gig which would also mean formatting my cards to NTSC instead of fat 32 and I,m pretty sure the x5 wouldn't  react to well to an iso with a 5.1 track.
I was intending to use foobar to rip all my iso files to flac 176khz by this method 

1) Set ASIO driver to PCM
2) PCM Volume to 0db
3) PCM samplerate to 176400 (or 88.2 if you want to sacrifice some resolution)
4) DSD2PCM Mode( Direct (Double-Precision 30Khz LPF) 
5) Preferable area (none) -- make sure to select Stereo Tracks to decode later (see below)

Now drag and drop the ISO image to the foobar playlist:

1) All the tracks will magically appear
2) Select the tracks you want to convert with you mouse (if multichannel...you need to convert to stereo using other converters first)
3) Right click and select Convert to ....
4) Convert to FLAC level 5 (Default)
5) Set destination folder for output.
6) let 'r RIP.... will be done in a few minutes.

I don,t know if this is the best method or a  lossless or lossy conversion to flac  but after listening to the original iso and  converted flac files I cant hear any difference in sound quality.

If anyone with some experience in sacd ripping to flac could tell me if I,m doing this right I,d really appreciate some help.
is there any advantage to leaving the iso untouched and letting foobar or the x5 to decode to pcm ?converting allows me to select individual tracks and put them on my x5 instead of full iso and will remove unwanted  5.1 and mono tracks.This also has the advantage of freeing up a lot of space on my pc .I  also have a backup of all my music  on a 2TB external drive ,but I just want some advice before I start  ripping to flac  and deleting my iso files off my pc.   

I know I'm a few years late to this thread --
atsmile.gif
-- but I've been ripping virtually the same method you described above except for my Foobar settings that differ from yours in these areas: +6dB PCM volume (default), PCM samplerate for 88.2 and DSD2PCM Mode at the default Multistage 32fp.  I tried the converting a few DSF to Flac using your higher samplerate but on my pc desktop speakers, no difference -- haven't tried it yet on my mains or headphones.

Also, since you posted this, have you made any changes to the way you convert your SACD iso to flac?

BTW, I haven't had any audible problems with the infamous 'click' the Aul guy's been writing about -- even viewing the flacs with Audacity. Perhaps the latest version of ISO2DSF & Foobar DSD asio have eliminated it?

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #50 of 55
  BTW, I haven't had any audible problems with the infamous 'click' the Aul guy's been writing about -- even viewing the flacs with Audacity. Perhaps the latest version of ISO2DSF & Foobar DSD asio have eliminated it?

ISO2DSF uses a two-stage conversion specifically to prevent the click, so if you use that, you're good.

May 16, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #51 of 55
ISO2DSF uses a two-stage conversion specifically to prevent the click, so if you use that, you're good.

Click have several reasons. Some reasons demand audio stuff editing. Not every ISO cause clicks.

About two stage: old sacd_extract utility lose last block for extraction DSF. It cause losses end of audio data and can cause clicks for some ISOs.
If solved via conversion ISO to DFF and further to other format.
In last sacd_extract version it must be fixed (promissed by developer).
In my AuI ConverteR I use now last sacd_extract versions. But, for avoiding of potencial issues, I use extraction via DFF yet.

Here I place all stuff by this topic, that I described currently (tutorials and articles):

How convert ISO to DSF WAV FLAC AIFF without clicks. User manual >

Extract ISO to DSF PCM. Clicks Issues. (in 4 parts) >

How to Convert ISO to FLAC under Mac and Windows (with video manual) >

[URL='http://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-improve-sound-quality']How to Improve Sound Quality (general for different audio conversion kinds) >
[/URL]

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #52 of 55
Click have several reasons. Some reasons demand audio stuff editing. Not every ISO cause clicks.

About two stage: old sacd_extract utility lose last block for extraction DSF. It cause losses end of audio data and can cause clicks for some ISOs.
If solved via conversion ISO to DFF and further to other format.
In last sacd_extract version it must be fixed (promissed by developer).
In my AuI ConverteR I use now last sacd_extract versions. But, for avoiding of potencial issues, I use extraction via DFF yet.

Here I place all stuff by this topic, that I described currently (tutorials and articles):

How convert ISO to DSF WAV FLAC AIFF without clicks. User manual >

Extract ISO to DSF PCM. Clicks Issues. (in 4 parts) >

How to Convert ISO to FLAC under Mac and Windows (with video manual) >

How to Improve Sound Quality (general for different audio conversion kinds) >
Hi experts, I'm about to delve into the HiRes audio world, I've downloaded an SACD ISO, and I've converted it to single DSF files, I've placed the DSF files in a NAS and I can access the files from MConnect with my iphone, the thing is, since I'm streaming the file from the NAS via wifi I have playback issues.

Now, is converting the ISO to FLAC a good idea in terms of maintaining the quality. I'm so sorry, since I'm such a neophyte to all of this, I wanted to know which is better, to have the dsf file and play it back with MConnect or would it be just the same to convert the ISO to FLAC tracks? Is there any kind of loss for quality or sound mixing? I understand that SACDs have a 5 channel mixing, then if converted to FLAC it is turned into PCM, I'm guessing 2 channels stereo?

I'd appreciate any kind of advice or info. I've been having really good experiences with FLAC, but I understand SACD is a whole other level in terms of HiRes audio, so I'd like to know how to proceed in order to enjoy the music fully and don't lose any detail or mixing when converting to FLAC.

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #53 of 55
Now, is converting the ISO to FLAC a good idea in terms of maintaining the quality. I'm so sorry, since I'm such a neophyte to all of this, I wanted to know which is better, to have the dsf file and play it back with MConnect or would it be just the same to convert the ISO to FLAC tracks?

There is no univocal answer. All depend on implementation of:
  • converter («offline» conversion),
  • player («on fly» conversion) and
  • hardware.

In general, qualitative audio processings demands many computing resources and work slow at desktops even.

Also it is unknown, that is better for your DAC: DSD or PCM?

Compare different options (ISO to DSF, ISO to FLAC, different sample rates, bit depths) and choose that you like more.

Is there any kind of loss for quality or sound mixing? I understand that SACDs have a 5 channel mixing, then if converted to FLAC it is turned into PCM, I'm guessing 2 channels stereo?

SACD may contains 2 mixes simultaneously: 5.1 (multichannel) and 2.0 (stereo).

If there is multichannel only, downmix is separate procedure. It is lossy and depend on implementation.

You can convert DSD (ISO, DSF, DFF) to FLAC with and without down mix.

If your player stereo (headphones), it can dowmix «on fly» (if capable) or you can pre-downmix with a conversion software («offline»).

Second way save free space at audio player’s disk.

Read details here http://samplerateconverter.com/content/new-aui-converter-48x44-v62-applied-downmix-51-stereo

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #54 of 55
I have one (hopefully) simple question that needs a definitive answer: when converting DSF to FLAC, is it truly lossless like converting WAV to flac? or is the end result actually lossy PCM?

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #55 of 55
Any conversion DSD (SACD ISO, DSF, DFF) to PCM (WAV, FLAC, AIFF) is lossy.

Only bit-perfect conversion SACD ISO to DSF/DFF or bit-perfect conversion DFF to DSF and back are lossless.

However, lossy is not mean "sound worse". This matter need consider in context of full audio system: from audio file to DAC: https://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-improve-sound-quality

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back