Contour XO- L-Acoustics - Jerry Harvey collaboration
Sep 17, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 59
Just posted our review of the Contour XO. A nice clean and energetic sound signature, really excellent for rock and metal, and quite a contrast from the Layla and Jolene.

https://headfonics.com/jh-audio-contour-xo-review/

1631876957902.png

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #32 of 59
Sep 17, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 59
what do, what do, jolene or contour XO... at least the contour has the uni out :smile:
Well, to be fair the two have extremely different sound signatures so I guess it depends on the one that appeals to you the most? :)

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #34 of 59
Well, to be fair the two have extremely different sound signatures so I guess it depends on the one that appeals to you the most? :)
they both do, actually :upside_down:
the jolene from what i've seen/heard seems to be close to layla with that DD low end, and the contour XO gives me the impression from your review to be more "regular" tuning (like chifi stuff) with the higher mids/treble? how would you compare contour XO to something like say, moondrop products (variations/s8/illumination) or the 64audio stuff (u12t)?
I like both the layla and the moondrop/u12t stuff, so I can go either way

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #35 of 59
they both do, actually :upside_down:
the jolene from what i've seen/heard seems to be close to layla with that DD low end, and the contour XO gives me the impression from your review to be more "regular" tuning (like chifi stuff) with the higher mids/treble? how would you compare contour XO to something like say, moondrop products (variations/s8/illumination) or the 64audio stuff (u12t)?
I like both the layla and the moondrop/u12t stuff, so I can go either way
I have never reviewed any moondrop products, those are usually reviewed by others in our team. As for 64 Audio, hmmm tricky, u12 and u6t are more Layla/Jolene timbre, I guess this is more in the forte direction but more physical and meatier.

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #36 of 59
The wait is over. I finally have my Contour XO’s!
I must say that the initial impression with these is that they do sound speaker like. There is this nicely dampened quality to their sound. Like listening to a good 2.1 system in a acoustically treated room.
The Sub-Bass and Bass is speedy with very nice decay yet has solidity. The mids are articulate, detailed, and open. I am sensitive to sibilance and am happy to report that the upper mids are resolving without being fatiguing by way of not emphasizing the presence region. The treble is perhaps the biggest surprise for me. I owned the Angie’s and found them to be mid centric with a nice bass foundation but rolled off sub-bass. The lower treble/upper mids could be hot at times and left me feeling a bit fatigued due to sibilance. The Angies did not have any airy sound to them though. They were detailed and intimate sounding which is expected of a mid centric sound profile but I always craved that last bit of air around my music. The Contour XO’s have silky well extended treble I have been searching for. So I feel like I am hearing the total body of work from my music.
These are just my first impressions of course and am still fiddling with the Bass Attenuation and comparing them to some other iem’s I love which are the Campfire Ara and the DITA Audio Answer (Truth Edition). So far these are very capable and resolving in a musical way.
Highs Looks similat to my Aroma Thunder that i love it... A comparison would be interesting

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #37 of 59
Thanks. No I haven’t tried any other JH iem’s. TBH I’m a Campfire Audio fanboy. I just couldn’t resist hearing what JH Audio could accomplish with the L-Acoustics contour requiring a further extension in the treble than any other iem iteration that they had made previously. While at the same time getting that “live sound” bass right. I figured if I didn’t like the bass initially, that I could shape it to my liking so that it was a win win. Luckily the bass has not been disappointing.
I too was interested in a Jolene Uni. I won’t ever get a custom because I like to share my iem’s with the wifey and close friends for awesome listening sessions. So maybe one day we’ll see. As it stands the Contour XO does compliment my collection nicely.
Can you compare the Contour XO to the Andromeda?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #38 of 59
They just arrived really powerful midrange with a lot of energy great match for chord mojo 2, a clean midrange with a lot of space for live album, excellent layering,and separation, my favorite iem

Attachments

• 0AEFABB9-5AD7-4C7D-8279-9E82F442A7AF.JPG
    0AEFABB9-5AD7-4C7D-8279-9E82F442A7AF.JPG
    681.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 16A5EE05-34C5-45A0-B2B5-0430608C6A0D.JPG
    16A5EE05-34C5-45A0-B2B5-0430608C6A0D.JPG
    767.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 51FBB0FC-4455-4505-8268-ECA8365D4E1D.JPG
    51FBB0FC-4455-4505-8268-ECA8365D4E1D.JPG
    558.5 KB · Views: 0
  • A23BA7CA-06BD-49D6-8344-9C003E8C887F.JPG
    A23BA7CA-06BD-49D6-8344-9C003E8C887F.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #39 of 59
They just arrived really powerful midrange with a lot of energy great match for chord mojo 2, a clean midrange with a lot of space for live album, excellent layering,and separation, my favorite iem
I have really enjoyed the same pairing! They have great synergy. Congratulations on your new Contour XO’s!

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #40 of 59
I have really enjoyed the same pairing! They have great synergy. Congratulations on your new Contour XO’s!
Thank you they have good synergy with mojo 2, mojo have good control on all frequencies and controls the contour xo energy very well I think its an endgame setup for me in iem world

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #41 of 59
Thank you they have good synergy with mojo 2, mojo have good control on all frequencies and controls the contour xo energy very well I think its an endgame setup for me in iem world
I too believe these iem’s to be endgame worthy iem’s. Have you explored the tuning via the Bass Attenuator’s? I have tried to get mine to get as close to my Audeze LCD-X’s as possible. Hahaha

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #42 of 59
I too believe these iem’s to be endgame worthy iem’s. Have you explored the tuning via the Bass Attenuator’s? I have tried to get mine to get as close to my Audeze LCD-X’s as possible. Hahaha
I set it at 3 o'clock, which position do you set it for audeze sound?

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #43 of 59
Any updates re these? Still like them? Fit is good?

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #44 of 59
Any updates re these? Still like them? Fit is good?
Have owned several and auditioned for a variety of TOTL IEMs. The Contour XO, In my opinion, is still the best IEM if all you looking for is the precision of instruments' positions, detail retrieval capability, separation, layering, soundstage, and a highly energetic sound signature. The Contour XO is so good that none of the IEMs I've heard surpasses the Contour XO in any of the mentioned fronts, except the soundstage width which I would give the crown to the IER-Z1R.

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #45 of 59
Have owned several and auditioned for a variety of TOTL IEMs. The Contour XO, In my opinion, is still the best IEM if all you looking for is the precision of instruments' positions, detail retrieval capability, separation, layering, soundstage, and a highly energetic sound signature. The Contour XO is so good that none of the IEMs I've heard surpasses the Contour XO in any of the mentioned fronts, except the soundstage width which I would give the crown to the IER-Z1R.
I love mine, I can't replace it with any iem mostly. I love the energetic sound and open vocals with a great sense of liveness, and for my taste, I don't find anything more pleasing for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back