Continuance of group-buy of TAKE T H2XLR&TR2XLR
Sep 27, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #121 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone think a RKV Audiovalve, which has enough balls to drive the 1000's, be good enough for the H2.

Second to last question, If I were to use a high current Adcom GFA545 100 wpc amp, why would I still need the TR2?

TIA!

cosmopragna tried the RKV and proclaimed it a failure (without the TR-2). the story will be the same with any speaker amplifier or headphone amplifier. you need to think about electrostatic type power for the H2. Normal headphones like lots of current, the H2 like volts, this is the reason for the transformer and the reason for having to specially design this amp output with the other company.

Dr Kevin Gilmore has taken an interest in developing an amplifier design for the H2, possibly based on a variant of one of his electrostatic amp designs.

Very excited about all of the interest there has been here, I look forward to the wellspring of impressions from those head-fiers who have taken the plunge.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #122 of 195
Believe it or not, I received the Headphones this a.m.

It took 2 friggin' days from Japan! I can't even send a letter from New York to New Jersey in 2 days. Amazing!

I'll try them out tonight when I get home.

I don't know if this was asked before, but does piezo technology require burn-in?

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #124 of 195
Can you say bass?
Can you say incredibly clean, crisp highs?
Can you say really weird fit bordering on the line of discomfort?
Can you say incredible soundstage?
Something is slightly weird with the mids though. I listened to some of my reference discs and there are missing sounds. Not sure if the headphones and transformers need some break-in time, or the Dared Mp-5 is not worthy of this combo (although it is just providing voltage), or if it's the design of the headphones.

Time will answer these questions. They sound incredible (especially for the money). They are more alive and faster than the O2's and the HE-60's, but I have to do something about the loose and harsh fit. They don't actually sit firmly on your head with the square pads and my ears touch the plastic panels that stand between you and the coils.

This is the first new approach to making sound through headphones in a long time. It has a lot of potential and I think Takei has blazed a new trail here.
Like the addition of balanced circuits to headphone amps in the last 2 years, this opens new doors to new technologies in can-wares.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #125 of 195
If you find the fit strange or uncomfortable then I would suggest that you loosen the fit a bit.

*comments in drunken reserve**freshers ftw* ¬_¬

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #126 of 195
Loosening the fit makes them even more mobile on your head, and deteriorates the bass response.
Stevenkelby, does the stocking over the wires alleviate some of these concerns.

...and BTW...what are you doing with stockings in the first place
wink.gif
?

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #127 of 195
I have sent Mr. Takei three separate email on different days (last one on the 25th) and have yet to hear back from him. I know Wayne received a response after I sent my last one. Has anyone received communication in the past three days? I'm concerned he hasn't received my request.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #128 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sent Mr. Takei three separate email on different days (last one on the 25th) and have yet to hear back from him. I know Wayne received a response after I sent my last one. Has anyone received communication in the past three days? I'm concerned he hasn't received my request.

I had the same issue, and it turned out that my home email wasn't getting through, but my work email was just fine. If you have a yahoo email, try a different email address.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #130 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same issue, and it turned out that my home email wasn't getting through, but my work email was just fine. If you have a yahoo email, try a different email address.

Yes, I have yahoo. That's so strange. I've never had trouble before. Anyway, Mr. Takei read my post and sent me a pm. All's well. Thanks, guys.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #132 of 195
Slight warning.

When I adjusted the top rails to my liking, I tightened the screws slightly and the first one I touched stripped the plastic with very little effort.

I need to replace that screw with a slightly larger one and retap the plastic hole, or live with one screw on that side.

The plastic is like Barbra Streisands legs...like buttah!

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #133 of 195
Well, at least now we know! Thanks for being the guinea pig!
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #134 of 195
Wow, ywah thanks for sharing. I've never touched any screws on the H2 but not by conscious choice, just never done it.

My headband adjusts in and out well with the screws the way they are.

I can see adapting another headband to suit these drivers in my future.

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #135 of 195
OK...I've messing around with options (neoprene insulation, etc.) and I think I found the perfect tweak that solves the fit issues.

I am naming it the "Biker-Tweak®".

I took off the velour oval pads from my HD600's and laid it on top of the square leather pads that come with the H2. They fit perfectly without touching the plastic grill, create a perfect seal, are comfortable, and don't seem to affect the sound (to me, anyway). The rounded corners of the Senn velour pads block a small section of the open grills, but I don't hear any bad effects.
The soundstage is still from the back of your head to the tip of your nose, and the bass is untouched.
You can dance with them, lay on a pillow, and another great feature is, because you have to widen the headband a little, the wire springs do not touch the top of the headband or the sides of your head and act like the Audio Technica adjustable bands.

Now they sound great, and are super confortable. Since they weigh next to nothing, you now don't even know you have them on.

I suppose a DT-880 or HE-60 velour pad would accomplish the same feat, and I have an extra pair of 60 pads in the garage and will try them later (the circumference seems a bit smaller).

The way they are shaped, you don't even see the pads when looking in the mirror. I'm going to put 2 tiny pieces of velcro on the top and bottom during the experimental stage so I don't damage the original pads.

I can snap some pics, if anyone can't picture what I'm describing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back