Continuance of group-buy of TAKE T H2XLR&TR2XLR
Oct 10, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #166 of 195
I agree with Steven's impressions. The H2 seems to effortlessly present what it's given, keeping up with the smallest nuances in the signal without breaking a sweat. Hearing differences in amps, bitrates, DACs is just too easy. The improvement one gets by removing the TR2 is quite significant, too.

Regarding comfort, I tried the biker-mod with DT-990 earpads, and although it was extremely comfortable and the bass went deeper than with the stock pads, I didn't like the overall sound.

So, after trying a bunch of other things, the best combination of comfort and sound, to my head and ears, was a combination of Steven's stocking mod, a DT-990 leather headband, and a modification to the leather stock earpads. I call it The Abomination mod:

Rear view: The spring wire has been replaced with stockings/pantyhose. A DT-990 headband has been used to keep the H2 at the right altitude.
Picture%2018.jpg

(The front is to the right of the image) The speaker frame has been made to be parallel to the ear, secured by some folded paper to keep it from changing angle:
Picture%2016.jpg

(Rear to the left) The stock leather pads have been boosted up at the rear side of the enclosure rectangle. This reduces the pressure on the ears. The stock pads are attached with double-sided tape, and are easy to remove.
Picture%2017.jpg

(Rear to the top of the image) When you buy a set of DT-XXX replacement pads, you get two foam patties or whatever they're called. I cut one in half and attached it thusly to provide a bit of cushioning.
Picture%2012.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with this setup and can wear them for hours without discomfort. Plus, they are now very stable on the head, and I can look straight down at the floor without them moving.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #167 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would venture to guess that one or more of our current Headphone amp makers could be gently prodded into making an amp specific to these.

There will be about 20+ of these around after the next buy and most amp makers do runs of 10s for amps so it is enrirely possible to get one to make one. One strong suggestion though is to give up a pair to the amp maker to use for a few weeks while tuning the amp.
My personal bias would be Eddie Current, Craig has been great about meeting time tables and his last amp (mine
icon10.gif
) was a stunning sounding amp. Whatever amp was made would probably be specific to these headphones though from my userstanding.

Craig would be perfect. I've also talked briefly to Mikhail. I'd be willing to loan my pair out for the cause when I get them. I have enough goodies at home to keep me happy while I wait for even better.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #168 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I call it The Abomination mod

When you buy a set of DT-XXX replacement pads, you get two foam patties or whatever they're called.

Too funny!
biggrin.gif

Someone really needs to do a full conversion/beautification mod on a pair of these. Should be pretty easy, really. Just shoot Warrior05 [conversion mod master], swt61 [for the wood], and the cabler of your choice [Fitz, apuresound, etc] and put those boys to work.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #169 of 195
Regarding recabling, the only cable that might be suitable for any "upgrade" would be the Stax cable (or such). Just to warn people.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #170 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding recabling, the only cable that might be suitable for any "upgrade" would be the Stax cable (or such). Just to warn people.

Wise words indeed. This is totally different animal to any dynamic headphone so the cables aren't interchangeable. Insulation needs to be better and capacitance is an issue as well.

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #172 of 195
I have tried other things since the invention of the world famous "[size=medium]Biker-Tweak[/size]®"..

Introducing [size=medium]"Biker-Tweak2®".[/size]:

biker-tweak3.jpg

Simple, yet elegant enough to compliment evening wear. I took 1/2" neoprene window/door insulation and cut it in half (1/4") and to size. It gives me the right distance and comfort and doesn't need to be applied each time like the original HD-6XX pads.

Another view:

biker-tweak2.jpg

Also, kudos to stevenkelby for his stocking addition to our mod-grades. It works well for me.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #173 of 195
WRT amps, what I'd like to see is a KGTT, made by Headamp. Hopefully for a cost not exceeding that of the TakeTs themselves (though that may not be be possible, I realize.) What I'm not particularly interested in is a a KGTTBH SE for $5000. Or more to the point, having that be the only option for a TakeT-specific amp (barring building my own, which is not going to happen.)
blink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #174 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WRT amps, what I'd like to see is a KGTT, made by Headamp. Hopefully for a cost not exceeding that of the TakeTs themselves (though that may not be be possible, I realize.) What I'm not particularly interested in is a a KGTTBH SE for $5000. Or more to the point, having that be the only option for a TakeT-specific amp (barring building my own, which is not going to happen.)
blink.gif

I'd probably buy that.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #175 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope so.

The KGBH SE would have been perfect but I couldn't come up with the $4500.

A tranny would be good as most of us have a grunty enough home amp.

We'll see.

a great semi local tranny option would be Jack from ElectraPrint, he takes on custom work and could probably provide transformers and a box for a few hundred dollars that would allow you to use a high quality home amp.

http://www.electra-print.com/transformers.php

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #177 of 195
I have found that my tubed Dared MP-5 sounds better than my solid state full sized Adcom.
Perhaps tubes fair better with the piezos than solid state.
Perhaps Jack Woo needs to to be contacted as well. A 300B 10 watt amp might do it nice justice.

Oct 14, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #178 of 195
After copious consultation with experts in the field, a superior transformer isn't going to happen with my involvement. It's just too hard and too risky, especially for companies on the other side of the world, who don't have H2s or a TR2 to test with.

Now I will get the Sig. 30.2 for my loudspeakers and to use with the TR2 until someone makes a tested and affordable amp to suit the H2.

On a side note, I have stuck bits of wooden toothpicks in the headband to hold the drivers at maximum angle (close at the front, wide at the rear) and set the headband at it's widest point. I tilt the drivers up and down to tune the bass response. That's how I enjoy the H2 now.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #179 of 195
What do people think of my newer mod? I am enjoying it immensely.

Kove

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #180 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do people think of my newer mod? I am enjoying it immensely.

Kove

I think we're all just lost for words. Speechless. Shocked by the awesomeness of it all.
biggrin.gif

I actually have some of that foam tape and may try it. I am happy with them now though.

Hopefully my DT-100 pads arrive some day soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back