Oct 2, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #152 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to try and get some of these to try:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynami...ohrpolster.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynami...ter_velour.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynami...ohrpolster.htm

Anyone know how big they are?

No idea on the size, but seeing as the DT770s have such large pads, I think those will be goodly-sized as well. I may try to get ahold of DT100 velours, as they're rather rectangular, like the H2 housings.

Edit: I just tried my DT770 pads on the H2s. They fit even better than the 650 pads - They're only slightly narrower in diameter than the 650s (at their widest point) and since they're circular, as opposed to the 650 being ovals, they fit front-to-back better.

Due to their reduced diameter they make less contact with the leather pads, so I taped at four points instead of two.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #153 of 195
Please let us know if the rectangular Beyer's (last picture) fit properly without incurring damage.

Well...I finaly did it. I took 1/2" neoprene weather strpping (that is sticky on one side), cut it down the midlle and installed it all around the perimeter of the OEM leather pads, and aside from profesional aesthetics, it is perfect.

I wrote Takei and offered him money and shipping to make a sustitutable set of headpands that are beefier and thicker.
The stripping does not block some of the grill like the HD6XX series or the Beye'rs do and there is no play, partly to also following the infamous stevenkelby stocking over the wire mod.

These headphnes don't hold a candle to the Orpheus or the R-10's ( I have them both in my possesion at the moment), but they are incredible cans for the price and offer a multitude of options using diferent anps/preamps/tubes/not tubes and the possibiliy of stckings.

They are the most fun headphones that I've heard that truly make you think you are watching the music live.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #154 of 195
I wrote Thomann and asked them the dimensions of their BEYERDYNAMIC DT-100-OHRPOLSTER pads.

Let's see if they respond. They look like they' be perfect.

Oct 8, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #155 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These headphones don't hold a candle to the Orpheus or the R-10's

Aaron, would you mind sharing some more thoughts here? In what ways do the HE90 and R10 best the H2, I am very curious. Also jealous.
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #156 of 195
Quote:

Aaron, would you mind sharing some more thoughts here? In what ways do the HE90 and R10 best the H2, I am very curious. Also jealous.
biggrin.gif

one thought is the available amps may not have caught up with these headphones. I will be interested in what the impressions are after a few of the better known designers get their hands on these to design an amp around them. I think we are at the stage of where the k1000 was a few years back before we started throwing first watt and 300b amps at them.

Hey Gene any updates with the accupahse?

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #157 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one thought is the available amps may not have caught up with these headphones. I will be interested in what the impressions are after a few of the better known designers get their hands on these to design an amp around them. I think we are at the stage of where the k1000 was a few years back before we started throwing first watt and 300b amps at them.

Good point. According to all the pros I have been talking to here, there is currently no amp or transformer/amp combo in existence that anyone has heard that are capable of driving these to their full potential.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #158 of 195
Quote:

Good point. According to all the pros I have been talking to here, there is currently no amp or transformer/amp combo in existence that anyone has heard that are capable of driving these to their full potential.

Steve, is it case of no matter what amp is used the TR2 will always be holding back ultimate performance?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #160 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, is it case of no matter what amp is used the TR2 will always be holding back ultimate performance?

Correct, the TR2 is at least half the "correct" size for these. I understand Mr. Takei is looking into it, B0hdi may have more information, I believe they have been talking.

According to Kevin the only amp capable of driving these to their potential is the KGBH SE. Too expensive for me, sold out anyway.

Hopefully I can find a better transformer from Magnequest or Lundahl but it's not looking great.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #161 of 195
Quote:

Correct, the TR2 is at least half the "correct" size for these. I understand Mr. Takei is looking into it, B0hdi may have more information, I believe they have been talking.

According to Kevin the only amp capable of driving these to their potential is the KGBH SE. Too expensive for me, sold out anyway.

Hopefully I can find a better transformer from Magnequest or Lundahl but it's not looking great.

This is a very interesting development. I have tried three different power amps, so far the H2/TR2 has proven more than transparent enough for me to hear their familiar traits, for good or ill. Thus far I have not heard of the tell tale signs that the H2 is not getting enough power. It would nevertheless be very interesting to hear what a bigger tranny can bring to the party. Have you looked into Tamura?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #162 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a very interesting development. I have tried three different power amps, so far the H2/TR2 has proven more than transparent enough for me to hear their familiar traits, for good or ill. Thus far I have not heard of the tell tale signs that the H2 is not getting enough power. It would nevertheless be very interesting to hear what a bigger tranny can bring to the party. Have you looked into Tamura?

No I haven't looked at Tamura, I will message them, thanks.

The TR2 cuts the bass, starting at about 60Hz. I'm not sure what it does to the treble. With some music it's not noticeable but when you know the deep bass is there, the TR2 looses it.

With a big amp putting out 15V RMS direct to the H2 the sound is all round far better, in all the usual ways (detail, clarity, soundstage, extension etc etc.). This is not a small difference!

The amp I have is capable of 60V RMS but can't control the 3k ohm load of the H2 over 15V max, and distorts.

Ideally we wouldn't use a Tranny at all, but no one makes a suitable amp for less than $4500...

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #163 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone who has a set let me know how much of the speaker amps sound signature carries on to the headphones themselves please...

All of it.

As Afrikane said, the differences in amps are very clear.

The difference between bit rates is crystal clear with these, I have to concentrate with the ED9.

I hope they stay out of this thread, but swapping an interconnect from copper to silver, I pick it clearly. Silver had "better" treble.

These really do reveal the system and don't seem to add to much of their own sound, if any.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #164 of 195
Quote:

I would venture to guess that one or more of our current Headphone amp makers could be gently prodded into making an amp specific to these.

There will be about 20+ of these around after the next buy and most amp makers do runs of 10s for amps so it is enrirely possible to get one to make one. One strong suggestion though is to give up a pair to the amp maker to use for a few weeks while tuning the amp.
My personal bias would be Eddie Current, Craig has been great about meeting time tables and his last amp (mine
icon10.gif
) was a stunning sounding amp. Whatever amp was made would probably be specific to these headphones though from my userstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back