Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2008 Coverage (Other Head-Fi'ers, please feel free to post your impressions in here, too.)
Jan 8, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #46 of 76
San-higher HD650
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to hear the IE 6, IE 7, and I think IE 8 today.

jude said there was no available functioning prototype of the IE-8. how do you adjust the bass on that?

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #48 of 76
I actually liked the Venetian high performance audio rooms and exhibitors. I found it very organized. I am not surprised at what exhibitors are here because they are all pretty much listed in the available directories. I am a fan of music and to hear it on great sounding systems is fabulous.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....Pretty much the IE7 is not going to be even remotely worth the ~$300 retail price, for what is pretty much glorified iBuds. They all appeared to be single dynamic driver earphones.

The bass was quite boomy and distorted, of course, they wouldn't let me try them with my Pico and Laptop, which I had on me at the time. One already had a blown driver, was distorting like crazy. It would be pretty difficult for Sennheiser to demand nearly 3 times the price of similar offerings from Shure and UE, which are their lower end IEM's in their line up....

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to hear the IE 6, IE 7, and I think IE 8 today. I didn't like the sound of the IE6, it was too bass heavy. To make it worse, someone put it on hip hop setting which made it worse....

On my Sunday pre-show visit to the Sennheiser exhibit, I was handed brand new pre-production IE 6 and IE 7 to open and use. The only rig I used either with there was my nano/Predator rig; and I've since had the chance continue to use both with that rig, and with a nano/MOVE rig. XxATOLxX, the "Hip Hop" EQ setting on an iPod makes anything being played sound bad, to my ears. Whereas the IE 6 has bass emphasis (as stated in Sennheiser's own press release as being its intent), I hope you were able to try it without the "Hip Hop" setting.

Ed, I've been listening to the IE 7 quite a bit since Sunday through my rigs, and, through all my listening, I haven't heard any bass distortion. And though the tonal balance through either of my rig setups with the IE 7 is fuller than neutral, it hasn't been boomy at all (I'm using the double-flange eartip with it). In fact, as I type this, I'm wearing the IE 7, listening to one of my reference tracks (Brad Mehldau's "When It Rains" from Largo), and it sounds very good (as it has so far with any of my music I put through it). That they're single-driver dynamic (versus balanced armature) doesn't, in my opinion, not make it a worthy competitor to similarly MSRP'd products by SHURE, Ultimate Ears, Westone, etc. (IEMs that I also have), as it certainly is a worthy competitor at its MSRP, in my experience with it so far. If its performance in my rigs is any indication, I think the IE 7 will be another popular universal-fit IEM choice in the Head-Fi community (the IE 6 will probably be popular with people who like more forward bass presentation, but the IE 7 is more neutral, more audiophile than the IE 6, and so will probably be the more popular choice between the two with Head-Fi'ers).

I'll be back at both the Venetian and LVCC again today, and will let you try the IE 7 I have with your Pico rig if you'd like. I think you have my number, Ed, so call me if you want to meet up.

b.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #50 of 76
Yesterday, I spent some time at the Venetian, and spent quite a bit of time listening to Wadia's iTransport, and talking to Wadia's president John W. Schaffer. I'll get to play with a prototype iTransport for a few days shortly after CES, and will report on its performance in my home rig. I can't wait. I'll post more about my iTransport CES impressions later.

I also spent some time with J. Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio, who, when he found out I was from Head-Fi.org, asked me to come down to his exhibit, where he was showing a new product targeting our audience. It's called the Proton, and it's a LiIon-powered USB DAC with headphone output. Yes, Wavelength Audio's going portable with the Proton. It uses his Asynchronous Isochronous Audio technology, and I'll say more about it later, and post some pics.

I spent a lot of time with Tim de Paravicini, a man I'd wanted to meet for quite some time--one of my audio industry idols. He's everything you've ever read about him and more--a hilarious, eccentric, audio-passionate, interesting cat. I had some very interesting conversation with Mr. de Paravicini and Dan Meinwald (Audio Marketing), importer/distributor of E.A.R. I'll have to post more about this later, too.

Also spent some time talking to Paul McGowan of PS Audio, who's always a fun guy to talk to. I'll say more about my visit with PS Audio later.

Again, I'll have to say more about all this (and post some photos) later, as I have to run out to Venetian and LVCC right now.

b.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll be back at both the Venetian and LVCC again today, and will let you try the IE 7 I have with your Pico rig if you'd like. I think you have my number, Ed, so call me if you want to meet up.

b.gif

Thanks for the ride, Jude.

Had a great time chatting and checking out the IE7 and The New Wireless Hotness.

Sennheiser definitely shouldn't have used te Hip Hop setting on those iPods. Had a good listen to the IE7 with my Pico and laptop.

In a nutshell, the IE7 is the closest IEM to sounding like the HD650's.
It's not my personal taste, so it does have that "veil", but the soundstage was very very wide. Imaging was not as centered as I would like, though. THe bass was definitely not distorted, but it was too thick and boomy for my tastes.

But the Wireless ones really interests me. They are ear buds and don't go into the ear canal like IEMs, and have a lot of bass impact. If you were to blindfold me, I wouldn't be able to tell they were wireless. I still don't know about the comfort, but I suppose with the different pieces it might fit me better.

Also got a chance to compare the Jude's Predator with my Pico.

Anyways, I'm at an event, and have to run.

-Ed

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

...snip...

-Ed

Will you post a link here taking us to your impressions about Predator Vs Pico when you have a chance?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #54 of 76
As disappointed as I am about no new flagship Senn, I must say I am happy to see that companies are starting to move towards the dynamic driver IEM route. Dynamics are much more capable of providing natural tonality than armatures (as well as better bass response), and I think they will continue to improve as micro technology gets better. Armatures may be fine for the portable enthusiast who doesn't listen to full-size headphones, but once you go the full-size route, armatures just don't make the grade.

Jude, I anxiously await your opinions of the iTransport. If it lives up to its expectations, I feel it is going to be the Head-Fi product of 2008 -- bar none.

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #55 of 76
Ed, likewise, man. Great times!

Ed and I took over the back half of the main listening area at the Wadia exhibit to conduct a two-man CES 2008 Head-Fi Mini-Meet (Wadia president John Schaffer said it was okay for us to camp out there for it).

I'm glad Ed got a chance to listen to the IE 7 outside of the exhibit area--we had much more Head-Fi-type rigs to drive it with. Ed's characterization of the IE 7 as HD650'ish is spot-on. They're infused with the HD family sound--and, given that the HD650 remains one of my reference headphones, I mean it entirely as a compliment.

Ed also got a chance to listen to the MX W1, which I think he liked even more than the IE 7 (I think the IE 7 sounds a bit more resolving overall, but the MX W1--given its wired-sounding wireless--is one of my two favorite Head-Fi-type products at CES 2008, the Wadia iTransport being the other).

Ed made quite the headphone model, gamely agreeing to model for several photos to show how the various earphones looked whilst being worn.

Ed also let me listen to his UE Super-Fi 4vi, and I was really digging those, especially at their price point. Nice build quality, too.

I'm at the airport, about to take off for home. I'll post more photos and commentary some time after I'm wheels-down.

b.gif

Quote:

Thanks for the ride, Jude.

Had a great time chatting and checking out the IE7 and The New Wireless Hotness.

Sennheiser definitely shouldn't have used te Hip Hop setting on those iPods. Had a good listen to the IE7 with my Pico and laptop.

In a nutshell, the IE7 is the closest IEM to sounding like the HD650's.
It's not my personal taste, so it does have that "veil", but the soundstage was very very wide. Imaging was not as centered as I would like, though. THe bass was definitely not distorted, but it was too thick and boomy for my tastes.

But the Wireless ones really interests me. They are ear buds and don't go into the ear canal like IEMs, and have a lot of bass impact. If you were to blindfold me, I wouldn't be able to tell they were wireless. I still don't know about the comfort, but I suppose with the different pieces it might fit me better.

-Ed

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #56 of 76
Instead of going Wednesday like I planned, I went to The Home Entertainment show instead. Alexis park had a few manufacturers there, one of the real standouts for me was the Eclipse full range single driver speakers. It is designed somewhat like a jet engine, had a small driver (3-4 inches) but had the sound that would rival larger bookshelf speakers. The price tag was $7000 though, cool invention nonetheless.

Another standout was The Tube Store's $199 2.1 system. It had a subwoofer which had a bridged 2 channel amp and volume controls for the master volume and the subwoofer volume. Along with it came 2 small speakers, it was one of the best values I heard at the show today. I'm thinking of getting them myself.

Over at St. Tropez, it was pretty much the same show as last year. My favorite was the redwood Acoustic Zen Adagios.

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #57 of 76
I hope you guys (Jude and Ed) get a chance to check out MBL's room. I so wanted to go this year to do some listening comparisons between their 1621A CD transport and their new 1622 SACD transport, especially on the redbook layer. I'm assuming that the 1622's SACD layer will surpass the 1621A on redbook, but that's not exactly a fair fight. I'm just wondering how close the two are redbook to redbook. If they're close, the 1622 becomes a no brainer. If not, then it gets all mixed up in terms of the more difficult tradeoff. Ehhh, not that anyone can decide this for me. I guess I'll have to catch the next show that they go to.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #60 of 76
Thanks a lot Jude!
I am sad because there were no new flagship 'phone release though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back