Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2008 Coverage (Other Head-Fi'ers, please feel free to post your impressions in here, too.)
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #31 of 76
Jude,

Thanks for the update. What's the retailed price for the Senn top of the line IEMs?

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #32 of 76
This is good, since I was thinking about getting a IEM setup, and looking for a similar sonic signature to my HD650. I don't mind waiting on the next flagship circumaural headphone, as it will give me more time to upgrade my current setup.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #34 of 76
Go figure the IE 6 comes out when I just got Atrio m5's.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jude,

Thanks for the update. What's the retailed price for the Senn top of the line IEMs?

MSRP, right off the sennheiser website:
IE8: ~450$us
IE7: ~300$us
IE6: ~250$us

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #37 of 76
From the pics that Jude posted, the IE6 look *bling bling* with the chrome metal look. Darn, if only they were more inconspicuous looking...............
:Sigh:

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MSRP, right off the sennheiser website:
IE8: ~450$us
IE7: ~300$us
IE6: ~250$us

Proud of 'em aren't they?

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Proud of 'em aren't they?

Haha, yes. Though to be honest, if I found an IEM that was close the my HD650, I would pay 350$us for them.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #40 of 76
Had a good first day at CES.

Well, I'm in my hotel room relaxing now after a day at CES. Had a chance to stop by the Sennheiser booth.

One word.

Meh.

THey had all the new IE's, up to IE7. THey didn't have the IE8 there. But from what they told me they are the same drivers but with "tuneable" bass.

Pretty much the IE7 is not going to be even remotely worth the ~$300 retail price, for what is pretty much glorified iBuds. They all appeared to be single dynamic driver earphones.

The bass was quite boomy and distorted, of course, they wouldn't let me try them with my Pico and Laptop, which I had on me at the time. One already had a blown driver, was distorting like crazy. It would be pretty difficult for Sennheiser to demand nearly 3 times the price of similar offerings from Shure and UE, which are their lower end IEM's in their line up.

It's sad to see Sennheiser fall to the level of me too copycat medicore products. Sennheiser is no longer in the true innovative high end market anymore. Of course, they haven't been for some time now. Bluetooth is all fine and dandy, but A2DP has been around for quite some time now. At least the two sides are not tethered like most of their competitors. Sennheiser also had non-music standard bluetooth headsets, but nothing really remarkable, just Nokia/Jabra wannabes.

Also stopped by Shure. Pretty much nothing different since last year.

I was going to try those Dr. Dre Monster headphones, but I think my time will be better spent at the Venetian and Sands tomorrow.

Microsoft's area was interesting for me. No one would say a thing about Windows Mobile 7, let alone 6.1 They didn't even have any prototypes or preproductions of WM 6.1 even. Pretty dissappointed there. I did get a chance to see the Surface Table in action. It't very slick and SciFi. I loved it. Not practical for home use quite yet, but when it can be used with a tablet PC instead, the possibilities will be endless.

I'm going to get myself a tan in front of that 150" Panasonic Plasma. LOL.

Oh, and I drove to Vegas this time. Holy crap at the snow storm on the way. Wow.
-Ed

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #41 of 76
I had a chance to hear the IE 6, IE 7, and I think IE 8 today. I didn't like the sound of the IE6, it was too bass heavy. To make it worse, someone put it on hip hop setting which made it worse. To be honest, I think Sennheiser could have done a lot better with these.

Once again, the Venetian as the high performance audio venue straight out SUCKED, even worse than last year. There were only a handful of exhibitors. Good thing the T.H.E Show will be held at Alexis Park, I'll be paying them a visit this Wednesday.

Interesting things today though: I got to try the new Canon EOS Mark III (21 megapixels) and their new portable camcorder that has 16gb internal flash plus an SDHC card, at full 1080p mode it can record 3 hours on the internal memory.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to hear the IE 6, IE 7, and I think IE 8 today. I didn't like the sound of the IE6, it was too bass heavy. To make it worse, someone put it on hip hop setting which made it worse. To be honest, I think Sennheiser could have done a lot better with these.

Once again, the Venetian as the high performance audio venue straight out SUCKED, even worse than last year. There were only a handful of exhibitors. Good thing the T.H.E Show will be held at Alexis Park, I'll be paying them a visit this Wednesday..

Is it really bad at the Venetian? Maybe I'll skip out on them this year and just head to Alexis Park. I liked the High End Venue so much better when it was at Alexis Park.

-Ed

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really bad at the Venetian? Maybe I'll skip out on them this year and just head to Alexis Park. I liked the High End Venue so much better when it was at Alexis Park.

-Ed

Last year it was pretty bad because it was so disorganized, a lot of manufacturers were there, but it was chaotic. I'd completely skip it, only a quarter of the people who were there last year (maybe even less) are here this year.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the IE6, it was too bass heavy.

Sounds like it would be perfect to me.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #45 of 76
599$ wireless earbuds and no HD650 successor?

Back to my Magic Red 595s for another year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back