constantly updated impression : Audio-gd Reference 8!
Jun 30, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #31 of 106
Oh no, REF8 has NO ACSS out. The printing is wrong, it is only another RCA out.
Write to kingwa for this misunderstanding to sort it out.

Don't say it here they mark down the price, otherwise...

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #32 of 106
no they havent marked down the price otherwise i would be more regretful.

too bad i purchased right before(one day or two) they updated their website and it's only 40bucks more for the acss output and usb input...

sigh they should've let me know had they decided to release the new version by the time i made the purchase and this info is not yet released on the web.

their dac is great, their communication is fast,but...sigh......

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #33 of 106
Ref 8 doesn't work in current mode, it works in voltage mode, so ACSS wouldn't help it :p. For example, if you output ref 8 XLR to an amp that works in current mode, the amp will convert voltage to current then work in current itself.

Don't worry about usb input, for the longest time audio-gd only allowed bnc and rca coaxial on their top tier dac's because they think its best, they're adding more inputs to satisfy customers who would connect a computer to their dac's, and a computer is hardly near audiophile grade transport.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #34 of 106

Quote:

It could be his hearing that adjusted
blink.gif

Obviously :)

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #36 of 106
superjhony: Maybe a Phoenix, being very neutral, would complement it.  The only thing is, you'd need a decent pair of XLR cables for best results IMO.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #39 of 106
Hi,

I understand you said he usually declares it at $500 but then you said this and confused me a bit!

Quote:
if i recall it right, eg item = 1200

item AUD1200
shipping = 120
duty = (1200+120)*5% 
taxable amount = item+shipping+duty
GST = taxable*10%

total to pay = 1200+GST+DUTY

Headroom only claims the actual value which made me not buying or at least postpone buying BUDA+DPS which is an extra AUD400 i need to pay for tax.

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #40 of 106

Quote:
no they havent marked down the price otherwise i would be more regretful.

too bad i purchased right before(one day or two) they updated their website and it's only 40bucks more for the acss output and usb input...

sigh they should've let me know had they decided to release the new version by the time i made the purchase and this info is not yet released on the web.

their dac is great, their communication is fast,but...sigh......

The USB version does not have ACSS output either. Where did you get that from?

I'll admit the picture was misleading, but if you'd read the Audio-gd page you'd know that the Reference 8 uses diamond differential output and not ACSS (Reference 7) as it's tuned for a musical sound, whereas ACSS is neutral sounding. The URL to that picture also does clearly say 'RE7USB' - Reference 7 USB version.

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #42 of 106

Quote:
The USB version does not have ACSS output either. Where did you get that from?

I'll admit the picture was misleading, but if you'd read the Audio-gd page you'd know that the Reference 8 uses diamond differential output and not ACSS (Reference 7) as it's tuned for a musical sound, whereas ACSS is neutral sounding. The URL to that picture also does clearly say 'RE7USB' - Reference 7 USB version.

yea, it's a bit misleading of using ref7's pic on the ref8's description page making me think this is a ref8. you wouldn't put iphone3's pic on the page for iphone 4, would you?

but it's all good now, kingwa has explained everything to me , it's just some printing error (accidentally print acss on ref8's cae). 

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #44 of 106
The benefits of amplifying and transmitting the music in the current domain is that the parts and cables degrade the sound less than with voltage amplification.  I suppose if you intend to have a coloured sound in the first place, this is rather pointless.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #45 of 106
Well a musical source with musical pre-amp can be a good pairing with studio monitors although musical is relative, a neutral signal should be musical as it is the essence of music but it is less forgiving.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back