console gaming headphone set-up
Jun 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bruin101

New Head-Fier
Hi guys:  I'm new here but I have been reading through a lot of posts on headphones and particularly gaming.  I have learned that what is ideal is hugely variable depending on your particular set-up, manufacturer, sound preferences, etc.  I'm really confused on what would work best with my situation so here it is:  

I have the new xbox 360.  I connect it to an LED monitor via a HDMI cable.  My monitor has both "audio out" and "digital audio out" slots.  I don't want to involve any more equipment like amps, etc.  My price range is around $100 for a set of headphones.  What is the best headphone set out there for my purposes.  I will mainly play games but I am sure I'll use them also for MP3 player, etc.  Thank you:)

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 17
Ath m50's or Jvc HaRX900...both are great for games, and work well unamped. 

Oh...and welcome to headfi 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 17
RX700 + Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS. Should be just a hair over $100, and give you virtual surround. I think gaming without virtual surround is a travesty, now that it is relatively affordable. Or you can get the Tritton AX720 (that comes with it's own surround sound amp) for $130, and when you decide that you want a monster pair of cans, you can use the AX720's amp on your future headphones. The AX720 is something MOST gamers would be more than happy with for console gaming.

I'd take an affordable pair of headphones that do well with virtual surround with something like the Mixamp/DSS/AX720 amp before I'd play with a monster pair of cans in regular stereo. No contest for me. Virtual surround is an absolute must now, IMHO. gaming with the AD700s in regular stereo is a far cry from their awesome performance when paired with something like the Mixamp. the AD700s are well-known for how they are with virtual surround for gaming, not just regular stereo.

One example is me using the KSC75 with the Mixamp vs. DT880 in stereo. I have done both, and if I had a choice of which one I'd have to play with, I'd take the KSC75 + Mixamp. Stereo should be left mainly for music, IMHO. Movies and games just aren't enjoyable in stereo once you get a taste of good virtual surround.

With something like the Mixamp, it's a simple optical out from the console to the Mixamp, and headphones to the Mixamp. that's it. You could power the Mixamp via USB cable to the console, or just use a rechargeable battery pack and recharge it when you're not gaming. No mess of wires, really.

Not ONE person I have let try out gaming with headphones in virtual surround has wanted to go back to stereo. NOT ONE, and I am constantly letting people try it out.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 17
How about this set-up?  I really like the JVC RX 900s.  How about pairing the RX900s with that Ear Force DDS from Turtle beach?   A bit more expensive but whatever lol.  Is that DDS supposed to be high quality?  The earphones are supposed to be superb. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 17
meh, i have the mixamp and DT880s... there are a couple cans in my collection i'd grab before grabbing the DT880

Quote:
Unamped I use my M50's. I eventually want to save up for a mixamp and DT880 set up. I heard that's one hell of a gaming eargasm.

the RX900 isnt bad, i'd still rather have the AD700.... and the ear force DDS is fine if you dont plan on using voice chat at all.

Quote:
bruin101 said:

How about this set-up?  I really like the JVC RX 900s.  How about pairing the RX900s with that Ear Force DDS from Turtle beach?   A bit more expensive but whatever lol.  Is that DDS supposed to be high quality?  The earphones are supposed to be superb. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 17
Alright lol, now I am stuck between the JVC RX 900s and the ATH AD700.  Both have amazing reviews and there are very good deals online for both sets.  Which do you think would better for me? 

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 17
thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll be going with the AD700s.  I really don't care much about voice chat...I'm a pretty quiet person online anyway and if I ever join a game important enough to talk I'll just use the standard mic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back