Considering upgrade from RE0s
Apr 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
Thinking about upgrading from my RE0s. Not necessarily in the immediate future, but just something to think about for the next few months or so. They're great IEMs, but they seem to be lacking a bit of speed. Something with a bit more bass quantity, clarity, detail, and replaceable cables would be nice. Right now, I'm using Shure olives with T-400 cores, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good seal. Not sure about the budget yet, but I'm pretty sure JH16's are out of the question for now... From what I've been seeing, the Etymotic ER4P or ER4S seems to have most of what I'm looking for.

I'm also not sure if an IEM upgrade is really what I need. A new headphone amp also seems pretty tempting. Right now, I have a biosciencegeek cmoy. The Fiio E7, iBasso T3D, and solder_monkey mini^3 amps all seem like realistic upgrades. Would any of these help bring out more bass, detail, speed, and soundstage from my RE0s? I'd be using them with a Rockboxed Clip+. Or since I have Rockbox, should I just mess around with the EQ more? I definitely want something with a similar neutral sound sig.

Thanks for reading.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 14
Personally, if you're looking for an upgrade to the RE0s.... you would do good getting a nicer amp; something a little more high end. How much is your budget?

And are you wanting to keep the size down or do you mind if it gets a little bigger?

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 14
I had the re0s and also wanted a bit more bass while retaining the neutral sound so I got the um3x and highly recommend them. In a few months they will also have replaceable cables. IMO the um3x do not have highs as good as the re0, but a tiny EQ adjustment on my walkman fixes that. Besides that I feel it was an upgrade in everything else: bass (definitely) and mids were better, and the fit also increased isolation

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 14
Budget would probably $150-$175 or so. It's not set in stone right now because I want to see what sort of bang I can get for my buck.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering a better amp. I'm overall happy with my RE0s, but I don't think I'll get any IEMs that are a good step up under $200 or so. The CK10s seem to be good, but I don't know how much of that is FOTM. I'd also like to keep the same sound sig, but more refined. A new amp seems like it would help alot with that.

The iBasso T3D has really caught my eye. Seems like it wouldn't add much bulk. Adding some bulk would be fine, but not a whole lot. Right now, I've got an ultraportable setup. Portable is okay, but transportable isn't. The Fiio E7 looks pretty nice too, but I'm not sure how much better it would be over my cmoy.

UM3Xs look pretty cool. I'll have to save up a bit more though.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 14
at your budget you can't get the CK10 and I definitely don't feel they are a FOTM. They have been around for much longer :p It definitely fits your requirements for the upgrade with the exception of the cables but they got great cables so thats not too needed.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 14
CK10 is no FOTM
regular_smile .gif

I remember a guy keep saying CK10 to be a FOTM, until he got a pair for himself he... Just enjoying music right now.

FWIR, many who own both the RE0 and CK10 say that the CK10 is a good upgrade from RE0, with a tad more bass and more musical sounding, retaining overall detail.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 14
he bought 2 if i remember :p

to the OP: I would suggest you continue to enjoy your RE0 or increase your budget. I don't think there will be anything around $175 that will be a significant upgrade over the RE0 be it an iem or a better amp than the cmoy you currently have.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at your budget you can't get the CK10 and I definitely don't feel they are a FOTM. They have been around for much longer :p It definitely fits your requirements for the upgrade with the exception of the cables but they got great cables so thats not too needed.

They've been around for a while, but I haven't seen them getting much attention until the past couple of months or so. Reminds me of the S4s (not SQ, just FOTM). Post 6 of this thread doesn't give me a whole lot of hope. But basing all my thoughts on that one post would be silly since there's several other people who have heard both and posted their thoughts too.

I never said CK10s were FOTM, just that I'm not sure how much of their popularity lately is FOTM.

Quote:

CK10 is no FOTM

I remember a guy keep saying CK10 to be a FOTM, until he got a pair for himself he... Just enjoying music right now.

FWIR, many who own both the RE0 and CK10 say that the CK10 is a good upgrade from RE0, with a tad more bass and more musical sounding, retaining overall detail.

Have you heard the CK10s or the RE0s?

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 14
KLS has the CK10 :p

Everyone has their opinions on their gear but I definitely hear things differently than the link you showed me
smily_headphones1.gif
I found them an upgrade over the RE0 and I know joker did as well. However I don't know too many people who have owned both of them.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KLS has the CK10 :p

Okay, I didn't see it in his post, sig, or profile. That's why I asked.

Quote:

Everyone has their opinions on their gear but I definitely hear things differently than the link you showed me
smily_headphones1.gif
I found them an upgrade over the RE0 and I know joker did as well. However I don't know too many people who have owned both of them.

I wouldn't doubt it, but it's difficult for me trying to decide on an IEM upgrade. Stores with good IEMs are hard to come by in Alabama, and I don't have enough money to buy some online, try them, and return them a few days later. Trying to sift through the opinions on Head-Fi is my most cost-effective option.

Screw it. I'll just save up for a T3D, and then save up for some customs. IEM technology has made some advances over the past few years. Who knows where IEMs, both custom and universal, will be by the end of next year? I mean, who would've thought of an 8-driver custom 2 years ago? Maybe JH Audio will come out with universals.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the CK10s or the RE0s?

As rawrster said, I have a pair of CK10
bigsmile_face.gif
But never have a chance to try RE0 yet.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 14
The Sony hybrid tips made a world of difference.  I tried the shure with comply cores, but that didn't seems to fit right.  The bass with the tips and a T3D is awesome!

Try those tips first before going for an upgrade. 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:

I wouldn't doubt it, but it's difficult for me trying to decide on an IEM upgrade. Stores with good IEMs are hard to come by in Alabama, and I don't have enough money to buy some online, try them, and return them a few days later. Trying to sift through the opinions on Head-Fi is my most cost-effective option.

Screw it. I'll just save up for a T3D, and then save up for some customs. IEM technology has made some advances over the past few years. Who knows where IEMs, both custom and universal, will be by the end of next year? I mean, who would've thought of an 8-driver custom 2 years ago? Maybe JH Audio will come out with universals.

Why do you think you'll send them back? I have never sent any IEM I've bought (all online BTW) back and I've loved every single one; I mean sure, you can't be 100 percent sure like you can if you have first hand experience but if you read, and I mean read, extensively about an IEM and have any experience with anything else out there, you can sort of gauge the sound.... of course this gets easier witht he more IEMs you've had. 

But..With the last paragraph, I agree with what you're saying, but with new technology/better sound comes a higher price tag. IMO if JH comes out with universals they will be amazing; somewhat almost on par with their customs is my bet; and they're going to cost a lot of money to boot. (Just a prediction so this obviously isn't a valid argument) I think instead of buying the amp, you should save up for better headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back