confusion about grado pads
Nov 20, 2010 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

marcusgi

Head-Fier
I know this might be a dumb question, but I know I am not the only one that has thought it before. I have the original Grado SR-80's and here are the pads that seem to be an option from Grado:
S-cushion
L-cushion (bowls that came with mine)
Comfort Rings
G-cushion

Where I get confused is when people say "I prefer the comfies over flats" Does that mean they got the rings or is there a difference in the pads?

From certain pictures, it appears some pads look a lot bigger than others. Is there a size difference?

I washed my bowls and like suggested, and I do like them. However, I am thinking of getting other cushions to see how it changes the sound. Yes, probably will get the 414 pads, they sure are obnoxious looking though.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 9
why not just get the comfies and quarter mod them if you dont like the yellow 414s?

both are the same type just a different color.  the comfies have a flat side that was supposed to rest on your ears, but its design is identical to the 414s, meaning one flat side and the other is a hole that wraps over the driver housing.  

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 9
s cushions

the rings are well...rings and have a big hole in them already :p  

the 414 and Scushions can be quarter modded to look like them.  Its really easy to do, just place a quarter in the center of the flat side of the pads and trace it cut the circle out and install.  The quarter sized hole gives just the right amount of stretch ability in the pads to fit over the grado headphones.  The only downside is that the s cushions opening, the side already open and meant to wrap over the headphones,is small.  So, you can get creative and test if you like.  Cut a hole in the flat side ( quarter mod ), make the stock hole a little bigger and quarter mod the flat side, lots of things you can do.  Each pad choice sounds a bit different.  

I suggest avoiding it though, im just tossing options out for ya.  When you buy a grado, you arent buying it for comfort, lol :p 
Even the quarter mods are pretty uncomfortable in my opinion and Ive never used the g-cush

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Swbf2cheater,

More questions if you dont mind.

When you say "rings have a big hole in them already". Does that mean they are designed to go on the driver separately OR with the bowl pads. I thought it was the second.

Here is why I truly am confused. In this statement "The quarter sized hole gives just the right amount of stretch ability in the pads to fit over the grado headphones" so one would think the hole that is jagged from cutting out the hole goes over the drivers. Then, in the next sentence you say "s cushions opening, the side already open and meant to wrap over the headphones,is small" so one would think the other hole goes over the drivers.

I am really not trying to be a pain, I just want to understand this and it is clear as mud to me.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 9
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=12583&N=4294542611+4291427565

The Lcush are stock, they are "rings".  Due to the hole in the center.  Quarter modding either a 414 yellow set or the Scush will make them into rings.  

The Scush has one side with a hole in it already, and one side that is flat.  The side with the hole slips over the driver so the flat side rests on your ears.  The 414 yellows are the same style, just yellow and in my opinion softer and nicer than the Scush.  This is why people use them, maybe also because black and yellow look awesome.  

So, you can quarter mod the Scushions just like the 414s.  You are correct in saying the hole could be jagged depending on how well you cut it.  If you do a great job in cutting the hole out, then it wont be so jagged and so easily ripped or torn.   Look at the pictures of the Scushion.  See the hole?  That is the part that wraps over the driver.  If you quarter mod the Scushion, ods are strong you are not going to use the part that is jagged that you just cut out, right?  You want the nicely formed hole as seen in the picture to rest on your ears.  That hole is small, perhaps too small and might ruin the sound.   

-You can use the 414s two ways.  One, just like the Scush.  The stock factory cut hole wraps over the driver and the flat side rests on your ears.  Or you can quarter mod that 414 pad and use the side with the stock factory cut hole to rest on your ears, and the side YOU cut that is jagged wraps over the driver.  Both versions sound different. 

-You can quarter mod the Scushions as well, but this choice is not so popular.  It would be the opposite of what you would do with the yellow 414s.  The side you cut out from the flat side is the side you will use to rest on your ears, since the factory cut hole is too small.  The factory cut hole wraps over the driver, and you cut out a hole of your own on the flat side.  

hope that makes sense.  each version sounds different, I didnt get it when I first tried to "get" all of this.  Its very easy once you have them in hand to understand and see.  To sum it up basically you have two ways to use the Scush and 414s. There are a whole bunch of topics about these mods, use the search function to look up quarter mod, reverse quarter mods for grado

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/341611/reverse-modded-hd414-pads-for-grado
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/312303/how-to-quarter-mod-senn-414pads-grado-sr225

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 9
These just are some of the names they are often called. 

S-Cush/Comfies
L-Cush/Bowls
G-Cush/Salad bowls

The flats are different and only currently available from TTVJaudio (or sometimes used in the for sale forum). Due to its price, most prefer to do the "quarter mod" on the comfies for similar effects.

The quarter mod is putting a quarter in the center of your comfy pad and using it as a guide to cut a circle out of comfy pad giving the driver a straight path to your ear. Emulating the general design of the flats.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Okay, at some point I remember seeing around here a photo of what looked like the thinnest possible pad for Grados - like a comfie, but extremely thin (less than 1/8").

Am I imagining things, or does something like this exist?  I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to make one out of a sheet of velour or thin foam if you know how to sew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back