Confused New comer please help!
Dec 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

samnoobfalter

New Head-Fier
Okay so i am new to the world of quality headphones. I am not a DJ or anything like that but I do have a desire for really really nice sounding headphones. My budget is $300 MAX and $200 minimum. Right now im thinking HD 598, mm500-x, tma-1... Also, i am not sure that i want to go with open air's because i live with my parents and want to use these at school too. But i really would like to have the nicest sounding headphones i can get. I would not be using any kind of amp for at least a couple of years. Please help me. Thank you.

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 6
suggestions for something you can use at school and is closed:
Over Ear:
UE6000 (bass oriented)
KRK KNS 8400 (get the shorter cable for portablity, more neutral)
Phiaton MS400 (good bass, mids, trebble a bit laid back)
The mm500 I would only get in the non "x" version. not worth 500 dollars but decent sounding wireless HP for 300 in the earlier version.
Sennhieser Momentum (kind of overstepping here cuz I haven't trie them but I suggest looking into those as they are meant to be portable)
On Ear:
HD25-1 II
Beyerdynamic DT1350 (my favorite portable)
Amperior

Those are all portable and none need an amp. The DT1350 really shines with a Fiio E11 amp using a L9 or similar LOD cable.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Did you mean, just the mm500-x? And not the mm550-x? And out of the over ear headphones which ones would you say sound the best? I really dont mind ugly looking or some portability flaws, i am mostly concerned with the nicest sounding cans i can get for $200-$250 thanks so much man.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Did you mean, just the mm500-x? And not the mm550-x?
The MM-500 not the MM-500X.
And out of the over ear headphones which ones would you say sound the best? I really dont mind ugly looking or some portability flaws, i am mostly concerned with the nicest sounding cans i can get for $200-$250 thanks so much man.

IT is really going to depend on what you are looking for and music you are going to listen to. The UE6000 is really good for bassy music while maintaining natural detail in the highs. The KNS8400 is a great all round headphone with good midrange and balance. Slight bump in the bass. The MM500 is actually nice sounding with the ANC turned off. They are majorly bass shy with it on. They even sound decent with bluetooth mode on.

I think your best for a first set is the KNS8400. It will sound good with lots of different music types. Get the shorter 4 foot cable for it (I think you get that separately). But pick the one that matches your music preference the best.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 6
I really like the E11 amp mainly because of the switch to boost the bass on certain songs. To me the biggest improvement is that it seems to make bass tighter and impact better on most of my HP's but not all which is the main difference. And it is nice to have for headphones like my 250 ohm Beyers that just need more power than a portable device can put out to sound their best. But to me it is also just nice to be able to select the switch when more bass is called for and then select it back when it is not needed. The KNS work well with the E11. It is certainly not a requirement but to me it is worth the investment.

If you get one, get an extra battery and charger as a tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back